4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as the previous version
I agree with other reviewers on this version; it's not as faithful to the book (and therefore as 'good') as the Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root version that was out a couple of years ago.
My gripes are:
1. The conversation Anne has with Captain Harville at the end of the book is the moment at which Captain Wentworth realises there is still hope. To have put that...
Published on 20 April 2007 by Schneehase

3.0 out of 5 stars Not persuaded that this is as good as the BBC's version
Firstly let me say that it has just occurred to me to wonder whether I'm biased against this version of Persuasion in favour of the 1995 Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds version simply because I saw that one first and have loved it ever since; similarly I much prefer the BBC's version of Pride and Prejudice to the more recent film, so maybe that which we see first, we love best...
Published on 7 April 2007 by Shady Tree

‹ Previous | 117 18 1922 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible adaptation - watch it before you buy it!, 5 Oct 2010
This film does not deserve much attention. It does not compare to other good ITV Austen adaptations like Emma or Notrhanger Abbey. In a nutshell: bad music (same melancholic piano tune throughout), affected acting, bad choice of actors too, shaky shots (on purpose I suppose). Basically, this film is not worth to be owned or even watched.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 12 Mar 2010
This is such a lovely adaptation of Persuasion and I really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't like was how much of the book it left out.
Persuasion is my favourite of Austen's novels and there is so much of the story that is glossed over or taken out entirely. Having said that, it was still very romantic and lovely and I thought the 2 main actors were brilliant.
still love it!

2.0 out of 5 stars not as good as I expected, 31 Oct 2009
I usually like all the bbc dramas and those from J.Austen's books are my favourite, but I have to say this movie is not as good as I expected. I didn't like the actress, I think she doesn't fit Austen character. Also, everything happens too soon I didn't appreciate how they adapted the novel. If you are fan of persuasion I suggest the tv serie instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
Very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !!!, 18 Sep 2007
Quebec girl (Montreal, Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I saw fans video on youtube and then I really want to see this adaptation of Jane Austen novel so I seach for and find it on this site. I received my copy yesterday and whatch it 4 times since. I love this story and I'm going to read the book. Sory for my english it's not my first language so i probably made mistakes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crass and shoddy, 16 April 2010
This was such disappointment. It had some great things going for it - production design and cast - but a terrible "Hollywoodised" script sucks all the subtletly and pathos from the story. I'm not a militant Austen purist but the liberties taken here with dialogue and plot are so ham-fisted as to be unforgiveable. Do yourself a favour and watch the BBC Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds version. Or better still, read the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL, 28 Feb 2014
Terrible, terrible. SO inaccurate. Does anyone making this movie have any understanding of how Jane Austen's characters work? The heroine is a weak pathetic creature who dithers her way through the entire story. And Captain Wentwortht isn't any better.

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like this version, 13 Feb 2014
David Johnson - See all my reviews
Was there any point in doing this after the earlier fine BBC version (screenplay by Nick Hearn)? I thought it was rubbish with poor acting, insufficient definition of the characters especially the three Elliot sisters and the two Musgrove girls, and as for the ending....!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Persuasion, 22 Aug 2013
Not seen it as yet but love all Jane Austen books so to watch the dvd will be great when I can find the time to view it

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece., 23 Dec 2012
Negotiator (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Right. I don't like period dramas. I was not born into the middle classes and cannot relate to their total self absorption and adherence to an archaic and patently unfair social order.

So you now know where I'm coming from, let me now say that Persuasion is a delightful and engaging work that had me within moments and held my attention throughout. The characterisation and deliberate immersal in the emotional world of the protagonist (Sally Hawkins) was so well done that I cannot envisage it executed in a better way.

Sally Hawkins was absolutely magnetic on screen. Every scene she appeared in felt alive and true to character. I have not seen her other work so I cannot speak to that. I can say that she was completely convincing as a character bound by both convention and her own character. The plot takes her on a journey of self actualisation and gives the audience encouragement that second chances can be had by those willing to reach out and grasp them. As an actress, Hawkins so well portrayed that journey that I can easily forgive the slight contrivances of plot that allow for the story to progress. What? Coincidences happen all the time, so ner-ner-ner!

Rupert Penry Jones was excellent also. The two leads are obviously aesthetically pleasing, so that's helpful to the shallow such as I, but I found his portrayal of his character's inner turmoil also very convincing indeed.

The supporting cast were all skilled and add great depth to the piece. I have to say that other reviewers do not 'persuade' me of this version's second place to the previous adaptation, which I found (despite the presence of the great Ciaran Hinds) to be typically dry, dull and without depth as the majority of this genre is. I suffered through Middlemarch and Return of the Native at A level and University and have never, ever felt the temptation to read Austin and Eyre, but my wife is an avid fan of these tv adaptations and I have had to endure those. This is, for me, a light year ahead of the others and I am secretly pleased when she suggests we watch it again. Shushh!!

SPOILER ALERT
For Marxists reading this, there is no real happy ending.

‹ Previous | 117 18 1922 | Next ›

Persuasion [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Persuasion [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Adrian Shergold (Blu-ray - 2010)