4.0 out of 5 stars Don't take it seriously and you'll enjoy it more.
The Hoosiers' first album was a nice slice of indie pop which I admit to enjoying. So when I heard the first single from this album, "Choices", I was pleasantly surprised by the band's drastic change in style.

Being a fan of electronic music, I enjoy the new electro-pop style, and this band have managed to pull it off rather well.

It sounds like a...
Published on 19 Aug 2010 by Mr. A. Dodds

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this the same band...?
I really wanted to like this new album, having waited some time for the Hoosiers to produce it. I gather they had quite a problem with writers' block and sadly, I think it shows here. The album is competent and well-produced but disappointingly lacks the really magical spirit of the first album which is so atmospheric - perhaps because The Trick to Life had such a dark...
Published on 21 Oct 2010 by semanteme

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good review, 7 Aug 2010
J. colbourne "paddington" (deep in the heart of somerset uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
I'm slightly surprised that there are two such violently bad reviews for this album, especially as they are both before the release date and both reviewers have probably never seen tha band live. I had the good fortune to see the Hoosiers live in May, where they gave us a good selection of tracks from the new album. It is certainly different from their previous release but it is definately as good.
It's not high brow soulful rock but it does exactly what good pop music should. It gives you a lift, is catchy from the very first time you hear it and you can most certainly dance to it.
This album is bound to bring a smile to your face.

Ignore all of their publicity stunts and gimmicks and just listen to the tracks. If you don't feel that little bit bouncier I'd be very surprised...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
Excellent product and service. Many thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dive In With An Open Mind, 24 July 2013
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
I absolutely fell in love with The Hoosiers' first album, The Trick To Life, and looked very much forward to them releasing a second album. Regrettably, I hadn't gotten hold of it until just recently, three years too late, but I'm glad I bit the bullet.

If you dive in expecting this same sound as The Trick To Life, then yes, you may be disappointed. But dive in with an open mind, then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

A whole new sound, and very much an awesome, fun listen :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Go hoosiers!, 1 May 2012
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
simply great CD!! there new stuff works very well and would recommend buying it even if you havent listened to their previous CD...this one is like retro pop, a welcomed change!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 18 April 2012
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
I didn't buy this album as soon as it came out. I'd loved "The Trick To Life" and didn't want to be disappointed by the follow-up. I need not have worried. This album has a very similar feel and continues to grow on me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good pop album, 24 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
I really like this album which kicks off with the infectious lead single "choices" and is followed keenly by several other upbeat songs. Standout tracks include "bumpy ride", "glorious" and "made to measure". There are only a couple of tracks on the album which I didnt like but overall a very good album. Many fans may be disappointed with this album if they liked the first album due to the change in style. However, I actually prefer their more upbeat sound and think it suits them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, my favourite album of 2010!!!!!, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
This album is chock full of catchy pop, synth rock ditties. They released choices as the lead off single which was not the best single choice given the catchy tunes on the album..but the sound of a band in top form..excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
Love this CD. Saw the band on the TV and wanted to buy a CD straight away. Being a muso myself I can say the sound is fantastic, real British pop sound but bringing back the live synth. Great mixture of songs, just a really good album overall. Easy to buy and arrived without a hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the equalisation!, 19 Oct 2010
The album itself is amazing! The Hoosiers have never sounded so good!
But the poor quality of the Amazon download lets this album down significantly.
The track volumes are all over the place and compared to another album I downloaded, this one is very quiet!!
I put them both on a CD together to check it out and the difference is rediculous!
So I guess I'm trying to say.....buy this album, definitely, but buy it from somewhere else!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Illusion of Safety (Audio CD)
This is by far the best album i've ever bought! It's significantly better than their first album.
There's not a track that lets it down, but there are definately some songs that are better than others. Irwin's vocals are amazing and the band have got a great new sound whilst still being true to the style of the first album.
It's brilliant and i strongly recommend getting it!!!

The Illusion of Safety
The Illusion of Safety by The Hoosiers (Audio CD - 2010)