4.0 out of 5 stars very pleasant album, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: Without Why (Audio CD)
It may be a bit of a boast but I have a very extensive record collection spanning the last 50 years. Meaning .....I think I know a good album when I hear it. This is a good album better than most charting albums, one that I am happy to play quite a few times.Rose can sing, her voice is recorded naturally her accent comes through and you feel you know her. The backing band are real players, great drumming, keyboards, base guitar. The songs are short and sweet not dragged out. She sings like a folk singer which really adds to the tune of the songs. Artists like this need to be encouraged. This is a thoroughly wonderful, bright refreshing album. Sadly it may not get much radio play, so get it and have it in your secret collection and get pleasure when people ask...who is this singing?....Rose Elinor Dougall....the secret is out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 2 Nov 2010
This review is from: Without Why (Audio CD)
This is a great album, and a nice discovery which we stumbled upon by accident. Rose's music reminded us a lot of The Sundays, but her backing band really add that pop touch which makes this album more than the sum of its parts. Tracks like "Fallen Over" and "To The Sea" work wonders, and in our opinion, place Rose up alongside the very best of her contemporaries. We look forward to following her career with interest - if this album is anything to go by, she is set for stardom. Quiz for the reader is to join the dots between this album and "Tea Time Favourites" by Betty and the Werewolves, if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Without Why (MP3 Download)
I first discovered Rose while listening to tracks from Mark Ronson's recent album "Record Collection" where Rose supplies backing vocals for a number of songs. After researching her, I found that she had released this solo album "Without Why" -- after listening through once, I was hooked. There's a wide range of songs, from classic rock types to more modern synth versions ("Start/Stop/Synchro" springs to mind here). Her voice is excellent and reminds me of a young Morrissey -- particular favourites of mine on the album are "Start/Stop/Synchro", "Carry On" & "Come Away With Me". Overall, a brilliant debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly excellent!, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Without Why (Audio CD)
I ve never heard of the Pipettes before, nevermind R.E.D. I happened to catch one of her songs on the radio (Carry On) and absolutely loved it. She sounds vocally similiar to Sophie Ellis Bexter (but don't let that put you off as she sings beautifully). The album is consistently strong and melodic. Highlights for me include 'Carry On' 'Start/Stop/Synchro' and 'To the sea'

5.0 out of 5 stars An album of the year, 21 Dec 2010
This review is from: Without Why (Audio CD)
Very surprised not to see this jostling at the top of the end of year critic lists. Suppose this will be one of those little gems that people discover over the years. Great lyrics, strong vocals and memorable tunes make this one of the best and most consistent releases of recent years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut album, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: Without Why (Audio CD)
This album is beautiful abd clever in such a special way. Rose's voice is stunning and the songs and the band are worthy of her voice which is saying a lot. Carry On and Fallen Over are my personal favourites but it's a treasure chest.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I purchased this - quality album!, 5 Aug 2012
C. J. Spencer (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Without Why (MP3 Download)
I too discovered Rose through Mark Ronson & The Business Intl. Let's face it, she's the best thing about the band! I had to research her after falling in-love with tracks like 'You Gave me Nothing' and 'Hey Boy' (from the album 'Record Collection'). So it leads me here, I was thrilled to see she had other albums and I purchase "Without Why". I was not disappointed!

The opening track "Start/Stop/Syncro" begins with a haunting yet genius keyboard sound, followed by her soothing and chilling voice, complimenting the track beautifully. Other tracks which I've fallen in love with after a few listens: "Find Me Out" is such a simple, dreamy - yet lyrically powerful track. "Carry On" has a more rockier edge with the guitar and faster drum track, sounding brilliant. "Another Version of Pop Song" is very up-beat, full of great rhythm and again, great keyboards. "Fallen Over" is very catchy and perfectly paced. "May Holiday" stood out instantly for me, and is possibly my favourite track on the album, the lyrics are great, instruments perfect, inspirational - a stand out track and a perfect way to finish the album.

Definitely recommend purchasing "Without Why"! Probably the best album I've discovered this year and I will definitely be keeping an eye on Rose's upcoming material in the future.

Without Why
Without Why by Rose Elinor Dougall (Audio CD - 2010)