5.0 out of 5 stars Every Worthwhile Studio Track for a Knock Down Price
Published on 14 Sept. 2010 by M. HOPKINSON

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value But...............
I bought this on the back of the BBC special and to be honest you cannot fault the value for money of this product, however, I would really advise you to get a compilation with less tracks on, the material with Carla Thomas is really poor, there is a lot of material that is really samey and pedestrian and at worst the arrangements sound like Atlantic/Stax soul by numbers...
Published 21 months ago by K. G. R. Carpenter

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Worthwhile Studio Track for a Knock Down Price, 14 Sept. 2010
M. HOPKINSON (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
This five-CD box includes almost every track from the studio albums Otis Redding recorded in his four year career with Stax. Since these albums included all the singles, the collection is effectively a "best of" plus more. My own vinyl collection was put together thirty years ago with some difficulty, scouring second hand record shops and paying the price of this whole box for anything resembling a decent disc. I envy lucky newcomers both for the price now required and the experience of listening for the first time to everything that is on offer.

Only one track (Hey Hey Baby) is missing from Otis's first album Pain in My Heart released in 1964. Thereafter every track is included from the four subsequent albums released before his death in December 1967: Otis Blue (his classic 1965 album and Europe breakthrough), Soul Ballads, Sings Soul and Dictionary of Soul. Also included are the best tracks from his joint album recorded with Carla Thomas (King and Queen) and all the tracks from two decent posthumous albums, Sitting in the Dock of the Bay and Love Man.

The only significant recordings missing are those from any of Otis's live albums, some of which are excellent. In this regard, I would particularly recommend Live in Europe and Live at Monterey (a scintillating album shared 50:50 with Jim Hendrix)

One thing to remember is that very few Soul stars of the day got to record albums in this quantity - you had to be right at the top of the tree to do so. Another is that the core personnel for the Stax backing band are the classic lineup of Booker T and the MGs, comprising Booker T Jones, Steve Cropper, Donald "Duck" Dunn and Al Jackson Jnr.

Overall, I recommend this collection to anyone who is interested in Soul or 1960s music. You, can of course, buy a smaller "best of" collection, but you will find many worthwhile lesser-known tracks in this one that you would otherwise be missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The King Of Soul Lives, 18 Aug. 2010
I. C. Ross "jr011b3755" (Edinburgh Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
Elvis was the King Of Rock, Otis Redding was the King Of Soul. His death in 1967 robbed Soul music of its' greatest ever male singer. Like Buddy Holly, he died far too young, yet in his brief recording career, Otis recorded more than a few classic songs. They are all here in this collection - Pain In My Heart, Mr Pitiful,I've Been Loving You Too Long, Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa etc sit alongside what to me are his three greatest recordings. Respect, Satisfaction, and (Sittin') On The Dock Of The Bay. At the price, you cannot go wrong buying this. This 5CD set is an absolute bargain, and a reminder of how much of a loss Otis was. Well worth a listen to, even if you are not familiar with his music.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars For 5 CDS, 13 Aug. 2010
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
The total magnificence and true soul singing of this absolute Legend is awe inspiring. I have enjoyed an Otis Day listening to it all. This is one of the best cd collections, 5 cds, I have bought for years and certainly an all time bargain. Covers all the great albums of the 66-70 period and though he crashed into a lake all those years ago his beautiful soul sings on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value., 12 Nov. 2010
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
I must admit to being very apprehensive about ordering this boxset because I have been disappointed with the quality of other boxsets in the past which at first glance appeared to be bargains. I am pleased to say that this is not the case with the 100 Hits Legends series. These boxets are fantastic value and the sound quality is superb. Apart from this set by Otis Redding, I also purchased the Aretha Franklin and Everly Brothers sets and they are some of the best purchases I have ever made. To say the are reasonably priced is an understatement, they are an absolute steal and I recommend anyone who is a fan of any of the artist on the boxets featured in the 100 Hits Legends boxsets to get them whilst they are still available!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Get Arrested!, 25 May 2011
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
I wanted to expand my Otis collection, so I bought this, my jaw dropping at the price.

I have always thought 'Otis Blue' one of the greatest albums ever made by anyone. However the other albums I knew, mostly the first four, I felt were significantly less good, despite all having some standout tracks.

This came as a shock to me then, when especially on the last two discs of this collection there were at least thirty tracks I had never heard before of the very highest quality. I'm talking about 'Treat Her Right', 'Trick or Treat', 'Don't Mess with Cupid' and many more.

Furthermore, cross referencing with Allmusic, it seems that there are a lot more tracks from various posthumous albums not on this collection, so I have to disagree with Mr. Hopkinson's otherwise excellent review there.

Hey Stax, or whatever you're called now, put out a proper total collection.

In the meantime, not buying this should be an arrestable offence.

5.0 out of 5 stars What terrific value for money, 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
The thing that always bothered me about Otis Redding albums was his need to record cover versions when his own songs were so brilliant. Here you've got such a feast of music, that you can skip 'Day Tripper' and 'Satisfaction' without feeling you've been short-changed. I've neglected his stuff in recent years, so playing these CDs seemed like I was rediscovering soul music. But why did he feel he could funk up songs like 'Chain Gang'? I've never known anyone improve a Sam Cooke song, so why do so many people try?
Nevertheless out of a 100 tracks, there are at least 80 classics, so tremendous value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 9 Oct. 2012
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
I had a otis redding greatest hits Lp when i was in my teens and i loved it, so when i saw this boxed set i thought i would treat myself,but i was a bit worried as to the quality due to the price, but no need to worry the sound quality is very good, all the ones off of my LP are there and loads more, very pleased that i bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy! Most of the Otis Redding recorded legacy at a dimestore price. Legit reissue co-licensed through Rhino (Stax/Atlantic), 11 April 2012
David Pearlman "sound fanatic" (Arlington, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
This is great stuff. The bulk of Otis Redding's recorded legacy (the equivalent of about 8 original albums) for less than a takeaway lunch. If you have any interest in Redding, just buy it. The sound quality is good. The liner notes are non-existent, but you can go on the Web to learn more about the man...most of what you need to know is in the grooves.

You might think this is one of those shady reissues that falls through copyright cracks. How else to explain selling almost all of a major artist's recorded legacy for so little money? But this is legit. It's co-licensed through Rhino (Atlantic/Stax's reissue arm).

It truly boggle the mind and makes no financial sense.

Buy it now before they wake up.

5.0 out of 5 stars otis redding 100 hits, 25 Jun. 2011
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
I was a fan way back in the 60's but lost my collection. This one collection has replaced most of the tracks I had of this great artiste.
My first record i bought by Otis was This Heart of mine, and i just had to get more.
If you like 60's Soul then this collection is a must, 5 CD's packed with tracks from a much missed singer.
Don

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definative Otis Redding., 18 Jun. 2014
'Amerigo' (Newcastle UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding (Audio CD)
This is the must have album for any 60's Otis Reading fan, or a fan from any decade, excellent vocals with an honest original Motown sound. Well worth the purchase price to anyone.

100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding
100 Hits Legends - Otis Redding by Otis Redding (Audio CD - 2010)