5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!
I loved this novel so much, I couldn't put it down! I stayed up all night to finish it. It's such a satisfying read - the characters are believable and rounded, and I really didn't see some of the twists and turns of the plot coming. It's a fantastic book - dark, seductive, each character clearly defined.
The author uses different character's points-of-view in each...
Published on 11 Jan 2009 by Real Word Wizard

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly pleasant
Published on 18 Feb 2009 by Lucy Felthouse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly pleasant, 18 Feb 2009
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
Main character Clare Elias has always known that she was running a risk by marrying a handsome man so much younger than herself. In the beginning, though, it didn't appear to bother Marc that his wife was earning more than him, running her own very successful florist business whilst he slogged away in banks. However, things change for the happy couple when Clare gives birth to twins. Thinking she'll cope with the babies the same as she copes with everything else - with complete efficiency, nobody is worried about Clare's state of mind. Until the twins actually come along, that is.

After giving birth to babies on the street, things go from bad to worse when one of the children is taken ill, along with Clare. Clare is in one hospital, one of her babies in another, and the other child at home with its father. So when everyone finally gets together at home, over the worst, everything should have worked out. But Clare soon comes to realise that she can't actually cope. One child is as good as gold, the other, not so good. And when the worse one upsets the better one... Clare's life becomes one long stream of screaming, nappies, cleaning up sick and breastfeeding. Feeling more and more depressed, Clare gives in and hires a nanny.

Jenna bounds in and takes over, making motherhood look a breeze, and Clare feel more inadequate than ever. However, as time passes and things start to calm down, Clare gets used to looking after children. But just as one area of her life appears to be calming down, all the others are in severe danger of crashing down around her ears. Somehow, she must emerge from the other side unscathed... easier said than done.

This wasn't a bad book. On the one hand, I liked the multiple viewpoints because it gave you an understanding of what all the characters were thinking. But this was also a downside because it means you didn't get an in-depth knowledge of any one person's viewpoint. But it balances out. There's plenty of action: blood, sweat and tears. And some sex thrown in there for good measure. For saying this novel covers many bases with its plot and various subplots, it still ties together really nicely and comes to a satisfactory ending. My personal opinion, though, is that it could have been more powerful had it been told from a single, or possibly duel viewpoints.

Regardless, if you like chick-lit, this is a perfectly pleasant way to spend some time chilling out. I'll be looking out for Tess' other novels too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 11 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
The author uses different character's points-of-view in each chapter, which turns the tables and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I love that her characters are flawed and not always likeable or perfect, because it makes them seem so real. You really feel like you know someone like Clare, the mother, or Jenna, the nanny. She's taken a familiar theme and turned it into something totally new and unexpected.
I've read both Tess Stimson's other novels, The Adultery Club and The Infidelity Chain, and thought they were brilliant, but this is her best one yet. Her style is so easy and readable, and yet the book is also incredibly clever and well-written.
Even though she deals with serious themes, it's totally gripping. This is brilliant escapist fiction, which we all need right now! If you only buy one book this year, this should be it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Triumph for Tess Stimson, 12 Jan 2009
M. Barrett - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
No words are wasted here, as best-selling author Stimson delivers another pacy, gripping tale. Contemporary and cunningly crafted, "The Cradle Snatcher" gets below the surface of middle-class motherhood and family ... who says professional parents are dull? Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour and read this book!!, 4 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
Tess Stimson has outdone herself with this book. I have every book she has written and this is the best by far. If you want to be surprised, LOL, stay up all night because you cannot put this book down then this is the book for you. Elsewhere the actual storyline has been covered but the fact that this book is a real page turner makes it a definite book to purchase. Put it on top of your books to be read pile and sit down somewhere comfortable and enjoy yourself. Happy reading and thank you Tess Stimson you have written something that is totally riveting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would definitely recommend to others, 13 Dec 2009
R. Robinson (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
Was expecting this to be a run of the mill chick-lit book that helped me relax after a busy day and was surprised at just how good it was. It is very well written and consequently I will definitely be reading other books by Stimson. I actually found myself thinking about the book when I was doing other things, which is a reflection of how it draws you in and makes you want to continue reading on even though you know you need to put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many dilemmas facing the heroine, 5 Jan 2009
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
I picked up this book thinking it might be quite light hearted. It isn't. I felt there were too many 'issues' covered and I thought some of the characters - Marc for example and Jamie - were unnecessarily unpleasant. The book was narrated by Clare, her husband Marc, nanny Jenna, Clare's mother Davina, Clare's brother Alexander etc which didn't always make it easy to follow. What I did think was good was the description of trying to look after twins and the disruptions this can lead to in a marriage.

I had thought from the description on the back cover that Clare was going to return to work and leave Marc to bring up the twins but instead it was about how Clare attempts to juggle a high powered career, a husband 10 years younger than herself and a nanny as well as dealing with all sorts of other serious problems. There were far too many story lines in my opinion which really took away my enjoyment of the book. I really don't think I shall be reading any more of this author's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A deffinite worthwhile read!, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
I almost didn't buy this book as the cover looked very "chick lit", however as soon as I started reading it I couldn't put the book down.
The story is excellent with many twists and turns to keep you guessing throughout , and the characters are very believable
Throughly enjoyable .

5.0 out of 5 stars Ripping read, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
Ah!!! the Cradle Snatcher, here was I expecting the usual soft read, predicated by the flowery purple cover. What lurks beneath is a finely crafted novel, full of intense detail about characters who could be your next door neighbours or the parents of your own childrens' school chums. Prepare for gripping twists and turns and insights into the world of business, parenthood and love. Or should that be lurve!! Just couldn't wait for my next holiday to read this...

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable gritty read, 13 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
Blimey, Tess Stimson doesn't shy away from tricky subjects does she? This book seemed to cover the full range of human tragedies. Like many other reviewers, I read this in one go. It's perfect for a long journey as it will keep you engrossed.

I agree with the reviewer who said it covered a few too many issues though - I felt some subjects were touched upon but not properly explored or explained. The shift in narrator throughout the book was a good way of giving the characters more depth and enabling the reader to see things from differing perspectives and I thought that worked really well.

I do wonder how many readers outside the affluent areas of London will identify with the scenario though, I really identified with the description of post baby chaos but can't think that many people are able to spend upwards of £25000 per year on a nanny these days (if they even wanted to, that is!).

It's lost a star for the "crip" parking space comment though, that really made me wince for some reason, I found it totally unnecessary even from Xan's character.

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls a little flat, 3 May 2010
This review is from: The Cradle Snatcher (Paperback)
I haven't read any other Tess Stimson books , but I had heard good things, so I was quite looking forward to adding her to my favourite authors list. Based on this book, I'm not sure that I will.
It focuses on Clare, a woman in her late thirties, married to a younger man. Clare has recently given birth to twins and has found it a more traumatic experience making the transition from high flying business owener, to motherhood. Against her husband's wishes and her own earlier conviction to be the opposite of her mother, she hires a nanny (Jenna) and goes back to work.
The story follows the relationship between Clare and her husband Marc and Clare and Jenna as well as brief interludes with Alexander (Clare's brother) and her mother. It is quite cleverly written, alternating between each person's point of view in the first person, but focusing mainly on Clare and Jenna. This allows you to see the same incident form different people's point of view and gives you a clear picture of how they feel. It also often leaves you on cliffhangers for a chapter or two because you go back to the beginning of the event to look at from another angle before moving the story on. Stimson writes well about some of the difficult situations that women face- marital problems, post-natal depression, domestic violence etc. I really enjoyed that aspect of the book and the way it was written.
So why only 3 stars? Well, the problems start about three-quarters of the way through. A relationship pops up out of nowhere- sure there were small signposts in the storyline but, as no proper build up was written, it left me cold and unable to rejoice for the character. Another relationship is written off after extensive build up and provides absolutely no resolution for one of the characters at all, when the reader has become very invested in that character. Jenna's ending is sort of written off in one sentence on the last page as well. When you've spent half the book reading her thoughts and seeing what she has gone through (some of it quite harrowing) it seems very unfair that she doesn't get a full and "proper ending". I'm sorry if that's cryptic but I am determined to explain without using plot spoilers!
So, all in all, it was fine. I read it in a day but didn't really feel anything warm or satisfying about it due to the rushed/flawed ending. I may try another of her books to see if this is a one-off. This one hasn't won me over.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›