on 27 December 2013
Parts of this book seemed to me to be aimed at teenagers, and then came battles with lots of gore - arms lopped off, throats slit, etc.
I like some fantasy to make a change from my usual diet of murders, mysteries and detective stories. If fantasy is the only genre you like,
then this book is probably for you, though there are better examples out there.

I like elves (the good guys here) and dragons (good and bad ones in the book) and some of the characters were interesting.
However, I became really irritated by the use of modern slang in what was supposedly "the olden days". For example - "you guys";
"no way!"; "something was off" (and not food!); "blow me!" etc.

Also, Sasha, the sister of the adopted Legon, suffered from what was obviously epilepsy, but the family called her fits "episodes" and
the villagers thought she was possessed by demons. Fair enough - except later they knew the disease diphtheria!

It was slow in parts, and a bit repetitive as Arkin, their guide, tries to teach them magic to defend themselves.
However, overall it was an o.k. read, but I won't bother with the rest of the series.
on 10 June 2012
This is a story set in a world of fantasy; there are various races of beings and one of these has taken control of the world and treats humans as little more than animals. However, there those that are trying to organise an army to fight back against those that oppress them.

As a storyline, the central plot seems quite solid; however, I felt that the narrative seemed to move about rather erratically. It was certainly a very slow start, although it did pick up speed towards the end of the novel. The main character is supposed to be the "chosen one" that will lead them to victory, but has to learn first just what his powers are with the help of his friends.

I must admit to finding this just a bit dull; in some places, I started to skip through pages as it seemed to be rather tedious. I'm certain that I would be that bothered to seek out the other stories in the series as I just didn't feel that I could engage with the characters anough to want to find out more about what happens to them all.

If fanatasy novels are your thing, you may well enjoy this more, but it's not one I would be sufficiently interested in enough to read again.
on 28 March 2013
Wow! As I write this review, this book currently stands as a 3.2 star rating on Amazon UK. I can't tell you how surprised I am at this as I LOVED it! This is a fantasy tale of epic proportion that was thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. There are elves, both good and bad; dragons which are elves so good and bad; different levels of magic user, and even showers! I'll admit to this being one of the best parts of the book for me but for you to understand my reference, you will have to read it for yourself.

The dialogue in the book is fairly modern, there are references to a couple of the ladies being "hot" and another character being "freaked out". This may or may not mesh with your idea of a fantasy book but personally I liked the style. There are slices of humour in there that are more often than not just one-liners; like a pushy, fake smile man being "a used-horse salesman, what did you expect?"

For me, this is definitely one to keep and the other two in the trilogy are now firmly on my wishlist. Is it for you? Take a chance and read it for yourself! You never know, you just may like it!
on 2 January 2014
This was a random recommendations from Goodreads. When I saw it was free and part of a series I thought 'What the hell!' and got it.

I must confess: I had a lot of difficulty getting it this. The book is fully of 'Character began to to do X...' making it sound like something was about the happen, but it did not.

this went on for the first third of the book and I almost gave up more than once, but something, maybe the character or the prologue, kept me coming back. At around 47% of the way through, the book suddenly took off and after weeks of read just two or three pages at a time, I read the rest in about three session and loved it.

The final fight scenes was very well written and the gradual drip of background details really brought it to life. By the end I was disappointed to find the end and I lok forwards to reading the next
on 3 May 2012
I am surprised that the other reviewers were not more positive about this book. I didn't find it slow to start but then I am used to reading thick weighty tomes. If you are used to reading slim novels, then yes, it probably does come across as slow to start. The cover is a bit fey and fancy and although beautifully illustrated, I don't think it really belongs on this book. Thankfully, this is not another endless re-write of Lord of the Rings nor some turgid retelling of an Arthurian saga.

I found the characterisation very good and unlike many other free books, the spelling/grammatical mistakes were few and far between. The author does have a fascination with naming the horses which is a bit off putting but given the nature of the elves honouring everthing in nature this does make sense.

There's also the nice twist, that if your magic is strong enough, you can 'ascend' to be a dragon. Now that's got to be cool!

There are a few skips and jumps in the story telling that would benefit from another edit but this really doesn't harm the storyline. At the end of the first book, we find the major characters all in place, beginning to learn who they are and what they are capable of and ready to do battle.

I certainly recommend this book, especially as it is currently free.
on 12 October 2014
I have just finished reading this book which liked and will by more of this series when i have read some of the other books
have downloaded the story is interesting i will by more of this series
on 3 October 2011
The book is worth the read for sure, the beginning was a little slow but at about 30% through I found it very hard to put down. The plot is a little simple and predictable with a few exceptions. But the writing is clear and it is just a nice read. I recommend it especially if you like the inheritance series, although it is not as a good as that you will like it.

I most likely will buy and read the second in the series.
on 24 September 2014
wouldn't have usually have bought this but it was recommended to me, i massively enjoyed it currently reading book 2 !!
on 15 February 2015
Could not put this book down fantastic this is a good story with dragons and elfs what more could you want
on 6 March 2013
This book is a must have for all fan's of fantasy. I found it listed free so thought i'd give it a go. It starts a bit slow but you realy get to know all the caractors befor the fun realy starts. I sat for hour's reading it, not able to put it down. If book two is as good as the first i can't wait....