Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on 18 August 2010
Ok....

So, with numerous Maiden albums on original pressings, and a bunch of piccy-discs at home that just sit there looking pretty, it was with great trepidation that I once more bit the bullet & ordered the new Maiden album on vinyl.

This wasn't a decision which treated me well with A Matter of Life & Death. Less so with Rock in Rio.

I should clarify... I run a hifi shop. I listen to my music at home & work on systems a bit above and beyond a Curry's £300 Sony special.
When I listen to Led Zep, hairs stand up on top of other hairs that are already tingling. I love my music, I love it to sound good, and I think that if a circular piece of black plastic from the mid 70's can bring Bonham, Page, Plant & Jones into the room with me, then surely the greatest metal band should be able to issue a playable record.

Sadly.... No.

I'm not upset with the album - listened to it on CD and it was pretty decent - good tunes, great riffs, trademark time-changes... but something in the Iron Maiden management camp has gone very wrong where vinyl is concerned.

It seems to me that every one of the recent albums gets a "Limited Edition Picture Disc pressing" as a quick cash cow.
Absolutley NO CARE WHATSOEVER appears to have gone into the cut and pressing. It's just there to be sold as an Add-On to the CD sales, and I must admit to feeling a bit queasy about having fallen for it again.

I have wonderful stuff from Maiden on vinyl, stuff that stirs the soul. The Donington 1992 limited triple disc vinyl is gobsmacking... in fact so is every album up to and including 1992.
Then what?

Well, apparently any notion of quality seems to have fallen off the list of "things to consider'

FOR GOD'S SAKE MAIDEN - AREN'T YOU ALWAYS ON ABOUT SUPPORTING THE FANS????????

Let's put this in simple terms.... the sound quality on this pressing is so poor that Bruce's vocal's are unlistenable, Nicko's cymbals sound like a bunch of keys being rattled around in a box of broken glass, and Steve's bass sounds like it's underwater.
There are three guitarists in Maiden... but I'd never have known it based on what I just sat and listened too, eyes watering & teeth clenched.

I can buy new pressings of old Nirvana albums, Crooked Vultures, Steel Panther on pink bloody vinyl, and they all sound wonderful... the cd's of these albums are relegated to another room because the 12inch platter sounds so good.

Not so Maiden.

If you have a tasty hifi, and a well set up turntable, and you're thinking about buying this album in this format... do yourself a favour. JUST DON'T!
on 29 November 2010
This is so lame I ask any of you 5 star reviewers to listen to any pre 2000 maiden album then really ask yourselves Can I honestly rate this 5* If the answer is yes then I presume you are part of the new wave of its cool to like maiden whilst its fashionable brigade. If No rate it what it deserves and maybe we can coax a Great new album out the old dogs.