Platform: PlayStation 3|Change

on 25 March 2015
I received this item free bundled with my PS3 purchased from Amazon on Sept 2013; date of review is 25th March 2015.

I firstly have to state that I only kept one set of the grips and gave the other to a friend, I do not know why I kept the set that I did and not the other, I can only assume it was a subconscious decision but can report in my opinion I kept the right set.

The set that I kept was the domed set with dimples on and gave the concave ones to my friend; both are now around a year and a half old.

With the set I use one has come off 3 times in 18 months. One came off while cleaning the pad and the other two times during game play. While I can not be exact with the figures regarding the concave set, the friend I gave them too I see most Friday nights for some local multiplayer gaming and I can say without doubt his set come loose far more often, at least 4 or 5 times one has come off when we were playing, and I have no idea how frequently that happens to him the rest of the time when he plays at home. Regardless he seems to like them enough to put up with that. Oddly enough neither set are easy to intentionally remove in anyway.

Having used both sets I would concur the following.

The domed grips are best used with the tips of your thumbs, using this method they are accurate and easier to be precise than without, however if you use them with the underside of your thumbs then you are better off not using them, using them in this way your thumbs will quickly just slip off the sticks, the dimples just don't do offer much in terms of grip.

The concaved grips, these are designed for you to slot the underside of the tips of your thumbs into the groove, if you use the middle of the underneath of your thumb for stick control you will find these uncomfortable. These are defiantly more accurate and precise than the domed grips however when compared with the domed grips you do have to be very careful with the amount of force used, and I believe this is where my friend is having problems.

The grips which are essentially a crater in shape is sitting on a domed stick of the PS3 controller, this makes the grips a rather flawed design, they are not a permanent fixture and are essentially held in place by friction, by creating a raised edge on the top of the grip by the laws of physics you are creating a means of multiplying the users force against that friction keeping them in place resulting in them somewhat frequently coming off.

The concaved grips easily give the best performance, but are also rather unreliable. I suppose if you wanted you could always put a tiny dab of silicone on the inside to make it stick better, you would just have to use some white spirit when you wanted to remove them. (I have not done this nor would I, just saying it's a possible idea if you have issues).

So if you are a person who uses the underside of their thumbs to control their sticks then you are probably best off without either of these, if not the concaved grips offer the best performance but are the most annoying and the domed grips are a halfway house.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 2 December 2011
Bought this for my son as a filler for his advent calendar.

Pack comes with 2 sets of additional buttons. He has now used them both & finds it a lot easier to use the buttons - a bit more like the 360 controller. He does however prefer the rippled grips as he gets a lot more control with those.

So a "thumbs" up for these grips! Not sure how long they will last - if they wear out quickly then I will post up a follow up comment, but looking good so far!!!
on 18 April 2013
I have recently just purchased my second set of these. I can say they are useful and they feel comfortable. They also give your thumbs grip for them gaming sessions that make your hands sweaty. The only reason i made a second purchase was because i got myself a new Dualshock 3.
on 22 April 2013
These thumb grips are useful as they raise the height of the stick slightly - a higher thumb stick means better fine control (as the range of motion is increased) - the rubber also prevents slipping during furious firefights!

These snap on securely and do not fall off even during violent usage, my only wish would be that they were a bit 'higher' - they raise the stick height slightly, but not quite as much as I'd prefer.

They are definitely an improvement on the standard thumb sticks though.
on 25 November 2010
another nice little extra you can buy for your controller
fairly easy to get on and off,tho can sometimes be a little bit fidlly but there is no chance that they will fall off when gaming and i cant really see way that they could break at all unless they were actually cut in with a pair of scissors or something
there not going to have a ginormous impact on your gameplay but are still worth getting in my opinion especially as they are so cheap, they do there job amazingly well and you get 2 sets of grips

one pair has loads of little lumps on it (the most effective of the pair in my opinion)
and the other is almost identical to the analogue sticks of a 360 controller
on 10 April 2013
Ordered these to provide better grip for my thumb sticks and they do exactly that. Great for games that require close control like FPS games or FIFA. Fairly tricky to get on but you get there in the end with a bit of effort, made of durable material and the sets of concave and convex covers provide a nice variety if you don't like either or.
on 3 November 2014
I bought these for my both my PS3 and PS4 controllers feeling the new thumbsticks were a little too small on ps4 and the ps3 convex sticks are too slippery. I love them both now.

The only complain is that the concave design included are a little chunky so you really notice that extra height when holding the controller, having to stretch your thumbs a little more to reach on top. but they're definitely worth it if you have troubles with the default designs on either controller.
on 16 November 2013
Moved from gaming on the XBOX 360 for many years over to the PS3 as I'm fed up of paying for Live.

These make the PS3 controller a bit more bareable to use, the raised grip version aren't obtrusive to use but it means you're not slipping to the edge of the stick. They've not worn through after a couple of months use, although if you remove them, the previously textured grip area of the PS3 stick itself has worn smooth through using these.

The concave ones were a disappointment - I thought I'd prefer using these due to years of experience with the 360 pad but they raise the profile of the sticks too high, the caps rotate too easily and they just feel awkward in use. I'm now stuck with two sets of spare concave as I bought a second set for my other pad, just to get the raised grip version.
on 31 May 2014
These are really good. Took a while to get them fitted on properly because I'm such a fumbler. I've gone for using the dotty rubber grip for my movement/left analog stick and I decided to use the smooth concave grip for my aiming/right analog stick. It's a nice combo. I could have done it as 2 dotted ones or 2 concave ones since the pack comes with 2 of each but I thought I'd play around and I really like this combination.
on 9 April 2013
I used the Playstation Thumb Grips to put on my slightly warn Analogue sticks... two of the four provided in the pack are brilliant domed (convex) with little bumps (nodules) on them (not uncomfortable) for added grip ... overall very good for putting on top of warn thumbsticks to give them longer life... I found these also didnt make my thumbs go numb like some grip tops

the dimple (concave) thumb grips in the pack are uncomfortable and make the sticks higher than normal... if the pack had four domed (PS pad has mushroom topped sticks) I would have given this product an all round 5 star rating...

so take into account your really only getting 1 pad covered for the price (unless you really like both types)...

See one answered question