5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly good value
My previous printer was several years old and finally gave up the ghost. I had been planning to spend around £100 on a replacement, but this model came up in a search on Amazon, so I went for it. Thirty quid for an HP printer? It had to be worth a try.

Published on 13 Dec. 2010 by GW

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty basic
Published on 13 Jan. 2011 by Roy Hewson

5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly good value, 13 Dec. 2010
This review is from: HP 2050 All-In-One Special Edition Printer (Personal Computers)

Once it arrived, I hooked it up to my iMac, let the iMac download and install the latest drivers and, finally, ran 'Airprint Activator' (a separate download) in order to allow printing over the network from my wife's iPad.

Seriously impressed - especially at the price. Whilst not a so-called 'photo printer' the photo quality is really very good and I can see no real difference between this and the printer that it replaced (which was also an HP, but cost about £160 4 or 5 years ago). With both print and scan function set to 'shared' on the iMac, I can print and scan from any computer on our home network - who needs network enabled printers?! :-)

If your print needs are fairly light, you really won't go wrong here. Top marks!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star printer, 23 Nov. 2010
When i recieved my printer i had it up & running in 10 minotes thanks to the very clear & very easy to follow instructions.

It is easy to use as it only has 4 buttons to work its features (1.on/off, 2.cancel, 3.b/w copy, 4.colour copy), it has seperate lights which display if it is either out of paper, got a paper jam & also 2 lights to show which printer cartridge has run out of ink.

The extra features that appear in te printer menu on your desktop allow you to check your current estimated ink level which is a great help.

It is suprisingly easy to copy in black & white or in colour by pressing a certain button how many times for how many copies you want (up to 10 at one time)

The paper tray folds out nice & smooth so its easy 2 close when the printer is not in use to stop dust setting inside, the copier has a smooth fitting cover that lifts up & down with ease & does not overhang or bang against the sides.

There is only 1 negative comment i have about this printer, it does not come with a lead that links the printer to the pc but this did not worry me too much as i already had one from my last printer but i hope HP will start including this lead with their printers as some people might not have a spare one.

All in all this is a great printer/copier for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Deskjet 2050 All-in-One I, 9 Jan. 2011
A. E. Hajikakou "manchester" (manchester) - See all my reviews
I ordered this Friday, the next day it was here! Packaged exceedingly well. Was a doddle to install, well it would've been if i hadn't plugged in the usb wire and had to start again, it still only took 15-20 minutes before i was using it. Word of warning to all who haven't had a printer or scanner yet, NONE come with usb to printer cable, so you need to get one. Everything else is in box (ink, cables, instructions etc.) Its Windows 7 compatible as i've found out, a lot aren't. There is nothing to fault this machine on, a novice or completely stupid person, as i eventually did, could install this machine easily 5/5

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty basic, 13 Jan. 2011
Roy Hewson "B. Hewson" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I previously owned a sturdy, expensive and very heavy HP ALL IN ONE Photosmart which had a lot going for it when new. It fed the paper through from a tray at the front. However,it often took 3 or 4 pages of paper at once & after a year the carriage kept ceasing up & I was forever having to open up the back to release mangled paper. When it finally went caput I decided to get a cheaper HP printer. I didn't want a printer with several different ink colours, the black and colour cartridges which HP uses are more than adequate.

The newer all in one HP 2050 printer is fine if you don't want to do a lot of fancy photo editing and the 301 cartridges much cheaper than my old HP printer. The quality of the actual printer is clearly cheap, hence the special edition price. Frankly I don't know how they make any profit on these printers!

It was very easy to set up, but disconcerting that there is no users manual, just a 1 page instruction sheet on how to set it up, but no answers if the carriage or paper get jammed- as they may do. However, it is fast & so far trouble free. The 2050 is fed from the top & so far prints well without feeding more than 1 page-great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little printer, 19 Oct. 2010
This is a great simple no frills no fuss printer for anybody who just wants to scan & print & does not need to have a photo facility. I bought one for my father who needs a printer that does the above & nothing else. It is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP 2050 "All in One" - good quality and great value, 3 Jan. 2011
Our HP 2280 recently conked out and we bought this as a replacement. It's excellent.. better in fact than our previous printer which cost more. Good quality prints. Machine copies and scans. Our previous HP had all sorts of slots for cards for direct printing but we never used them once... it was also a front loader which sometimes would not grab paper, especially photo paper. This HP has a rear load tray and prints perfectly. Printer is quiet and pretty quick. Well designed, no fancy knobs and buttons. Really good value. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, 23 Jan. 2011
David Slack "pantages" (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
Great value machine and cheaper than buying two ink cartidges from another brand! It's a great performer, one of the best I ever had.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deskjet 2050, 3 Jan. 2011
Printing off is very quick, clear and precise whether from scanning or computer. Very easy to install with help of disc although there were a couple of extra bits on the disc that downloaded that i didnt want so deleted them. Very noisy when turning it off when the ink cartridge carrier moves to stop position. Not the quietest printer / scanner on the market when printing, but the performance outways the noise. If I was being picky !, I would probably like the paper carrier to hold more paper. Overall, It was a good and cheap enough purchase for my usage at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 31 Jan. 2011
R. Williams - See all my reviews
A really nice looking, compact, simple printer that is outstanding value. This little printer has impressed me. I don't do many prints, just letters, invoices etc. I certainly do not intent to print many photographs, that's why I purchased this model. I just wanted a cheap everyday printer with a scanner.
The thing that I still cannot grasp is this printer comes with 3 cartridges (2 black, 1 colour), but costs about the same as purchasing 3 separate HP cartridges (depending where you buy). The literature seems to suggest they are full cartridges, not the half full ones that are sometimes thrown in free with a new printer. Just shows how cheap manufacturing costs are in the far east!

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, but powerfull, 18 Sept. 2010
Mr. Paul A. Lynch "arborists" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
when i first received this printer i knew i was on to a good thing as it had special edition on the box, usually when products have "special edition" writen on the box it sometimes bigs the product up and what you realy get is an otherwise dull product. not so with Hewlett Packard, the set up was realy easy and simple to understand, and if you register the printer etc with HP you get some very usefull bonuses. Now onto the printer itself, what can i say other than Wow, for a basic All in one printer the speed and quality of your documents etc is blistering, i printed of a 20 line spreadsheet in under 30 secs, with exceptional clarity/quality and with hardly any ink used, there was some graphics in the spreadsheet and though i only had a normal colour cartridge in the printer, the pictures were near photo quality. So the HP Deskjet 2050, 2050 Special Edition is a worthy All in one printer for the money....