In And Out Of Consciousness: Greatest Hits 1990 - 2010
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£9.34+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 2 November 2010
Well let me start off by saying, Robbie does not deserve all the flack he has gotten over the past couple of years, even though he occasionally says all the wrong things to the press, including that 'Bodies' is mainly gibberish, which was one thing I remember lately.

Well I bought the 3CD version, as I always like to get a bit extra for my amazon money. It was delivered on the Saturday before general release, how I love that when that happens, always worth pre-ordering in my book. It is packaged really nicely in a hard back, glossy casebound pack, as the version of 'Reality Killed the Video Star' was. Really nice.

I love the fact that the running order is new stuff first going through to old stuff last, starting with the co-penned with Gaz B, 'Shame' and 'Heart and I', love 'Shame' but love 'Heart and I' more, working it's way through the last album's highlight tracks, which for all that 'The Robster' says about it, is still a great album and one of his best. Basically with 'IAOOC' is a fabulous addition to anyones aural collection.

So it's nice to have the new stuff on here, as most of the you out there will have the Greatest Hits released a few years ago, this is far superior and well worth your hard earned. Going to definitely buy the DVD retrospective too, as that will be a televisual feast, if only for the continuing additions of his tattoos over the years.

Anyways I've said far too much. Basically go buy this, you'll have 'No Regrets' if you do. There are almost no fillers on this album, well maybe a couple, but at 37 tracks strong, that ain't half bad, and a total of 57 on the Deluxe edition, although I have not heard the third disk enough yet.

So will see you all at Wembley Stadium in July twenty eleven, well for those of you lucky enough to get your sweaty mitts on a ticket. Damn I just looked, they are now doing 7 days at Wembley, bloody hell!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I know this music DVD has an 'Exempt' classification, but I will just warn you that it contains some pretty graphic certificate 18 scenes, notably Robbie having an orgy in his house.
Not knowing any of Robbie Williams video's (though I know some of the songs) I bought this for my wife and we sat and watched it as a family. I really wasn't expecting some of the scenes that were in the videos.
There are also some strange scenes with Robbie having a snake come from his bottom and wrap around women, or having his head flicker into some sort of demonic looking character.
I'm just saying, be careful if you have little kids with you watching some of these.
on 16 November 2012
What is left to say about Robbie Williams,
the man after 20 years in the business of making music and being involved in
numerous other projects? It's tough to be original on this one, but I think the
only thing to say is that Williams is nothing if unpredictable. Who would have
thought that after Williams' diva act, when he refused to have any creative
input into Take That's music because it didn't suit him, his drug problems
caused by being depressed about being in the band and then his struggle to be
released from contractual agreements, that he would end up back with his old
foes?

In and out of consciousness is a collection of 39 of Williams' `best' songs. I
don't know what it is that makes us love some numbers, or feel ambivalent about
(or even detest) other music, but I experienced all of these feelings when
listening to this mega-CD. I do adore some of Robbie's stuff, but was left
baffled as to why a few songs that weren't actually hits, made the cut.

Starting with the last song on the album "Everything Changes", which is a Take That
recording and the title of one of their albums; I will say they are still to
sell me on this boy band thing. Perhaps I should now also say `man band' or
`man bland' because they're no longer boys. When you're 16, 17 or 18 it's kind
of okay to be unsophisticated, but Robbie and his mates haven't had the easiest
of lives and they are now in their 30's and 40's. It all sounds unconvincing
and disingenuous at this point, (if it ever sounded genuine at all). The duet "Shame" with Gary Barlow is cloying and lacks imagination, which confirms my
idea that it's not usually a good thing

I was more than pleased to listen to the songs that I have loved for a long time,
but have fallen off playlists everywhere. There is something almost perfect
about "She's the One", "Angels", "Come Undone" and "Feel". Robbie's fans will be happy
to see "Millennium", "She's Madonna", "Sexed Up" and "Rock DJ". I really enjoyed
listening to the Gregorian chants in "Bodies" once again too. "Kids" with Kylie Minogue, "It's only us" and "Lovelight" are original and worth a mention but why oh why are
there nondescript songs like "Rudebox" and "Eternity" included on a best of CD?
It's tough to choose stuff for an album like this that everyone enjoys, but I
suspect the recording company went for quantity rather than 100% top notch.
There is enough on here to please Robbie fans and maybe the fanatics will like
just about everything, but some choices could have been better.

Will Robbie Williams again produce music of the same quality that he made during his
solo career? Will we ever see the Robbie, who has been controversial and
surprising in the past, again be the interesting and unique artist he once was?
Has marriage mellowed Williams to the point of beige-ness? Will Take That
stifle Robbie's creativity? I'm sure we shall see soon enough.
on 22 August 2010
Being a big fan of Robert Williams, I was extremely excited at the idea of him releasing a career-spanning comprehensive collection of hits, music videos and b-sides. Already having released his first Greatest Hits album back in 2004 which spanned his first 5 studio albums, Robbie now brings us In And Out Of Consciousness, which oversees all of those albums as well as his 3 albums since. And while Greatest Hits omitted some of his singles, this new collection includes ALL of his solo UK singles to date. The first 2 CD's contain 39 tracks including 2 new songs, "Shame" (UK Peak Position #2) and "Heart and I", as well as his rare first solo single "Freedom" (UK Peak Position #2), which was a cover of the George Michael song. Robbie's version had been previously unreleased on any album until now) and a sole track from his original tenure with Take That ("Everything Changes" (UK #1)).

The songs on the first 2 discs run in reverse chronological order, starting with the 2 new songs, then from the newest hits to the older classics.

From Robbie's 1997 debut solo album, LIFE THRU A LENS, the singles "Old Before I Die" (UK #2), "Lazy Days" (UK #8), "South Of The Border (UK #14), "Angels" (UK #4), and "Let Me Entertain You" (UK #3) are included. The songs showcase the rock-n-roll / pop beginning of Robbie's career, with "Angels" being his signature song.

From 1998's I'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOU, all 4 of the singles are here: "Millennium" (UK #1), "No Regrets" (UK #4), "Strong" (UK #4), and "She's The One", which was released as a double A-side with the non-album track "It's Only Us" [UK double-A side #1], which is also included in this set. By this point, the songwriting in his work was a bit more mature, and the production more solid. "Win Some, Lose Some", another track from the album, was released only in New Zealand as the final single, and is sadly not included on this greatest hits collection.

Robbie's third album, 2000's SING WHEN YOU'RE WINNING, produced 6 big international hits: "Rock DJ" (UK #1), "Kids" with Kylie Minogue (UK #2), "Supreme" (UK #4), "Let Love Be Your Energy" (UK #10), the double a-side release "Eternity" (at the time, a non-album track) coupled with "The Road To Mandalay" (UK #1), and "Better Man", which was only released in Australia, New Zealand, and South America. With this album, Robbie had found his stride, and had become a bonafide pop star. All of these singles are included on IN AND OUT OF CONSCIOUSNESS with the exception of "Better Man", one of Robbie's best songs ever, in my opinion. This is understandable because the song was not a UK single, but I feel that an exception could have been made for this beautiful song.

From Robbie's one-off 2001 swing standards album SWING WHEN YOU'RE WINNING, his duet with Nicole Kidman, "Somethin' Stupid (UK #1) is featured, as well as the European only double a-side tracks "Mr. Bojangles" and "I Will Talk And Hollywood Will Listen".

In my opinion, 2002's ESCAPOLOGY is still Robbie's all-time best album, easily shown by 4 excellent singles: "Feel" (UK #4. i still can't believe this didn't chart higher!), "Come Undone" (UK #4), "Something Beautiful" (UK #3), and "Sexed Up" (UK #10), which had originally been released as an acoustic b-side back in 1998 on the "No Regrets" single.

In 2004, Robbie's first GREATEST HITS album was released, and featured 2 new singles: "Radio" (UK #1), and "Misunderstood" (UK #8). Both songs are included on this new hits set as well, which kind of renders the original GREATEST HITS useless, except for the gorgeous album covers.

2005's INTENSIVE CARE contributes the 3 official singles "Tripping" (UK #2), "Advertising Space" (UK #8) and "Sin Sin Sin" (UK #22, at the time his first solo single to miss the top 20), as well as the airplay only single "Make Me Pure".

2006's underrated electronic/dance RUDEBOX album also contributes 3 singles: "Rudebox" (UK #4), "Lovelight" (UK #8) and "She's Madonna" (UK #16). "Bongo Bong" was released as a single in Europe and South America but is not featured on this collection.

From Robbie's latest album, 2009's REALITY KILLED THE VIDEO STAR, the featured singles are "Bodies" (UK #2), "You Know Me" (UK #6) and"Morning Sun" (UK #45, his lowest-charting UK single to date).

The third CD is where all of the major flaws come in for me. This is the disc of B-sides and Rarities. First things first: Robbie has nearly eighty (80!) b-side / non-album / compilation-only tracks (most of those being -b-sides) yet they only serve us up ONE disc including 18 tracks. Seriously?? To add insult to injury, the selection of some of the tracks that they DO include are questionable ("Lonestar Rising"? "Do Me Now"?? These are FAR from his best.) Where are "Ugly Love", "Come Take Me Over", "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye", "Berliner Star", "Appliance Of Science", "Bag Full Of Silly", etc.??? There are a few b-sides that exist only on DVD singles that should have been included because most people cannot rip DVD audio very easily into am mp3. The b-sides section should have been 3 discs, AT LEAST. and what about some remixes thrown in for good measure?

This Ultimate Edition also features 2 DVD's (Discs 4 and 5) with all of the videos of the songs featured on the first 2 CD's. It's going to be nice to have all the official videos in once place for the first time, although I wish they had included some bonuses like the U.S. version of "Angels" or other fan-release videos like "Dance With The Devil" and "A Place To Crash".

The 6th disc is a DVD of a previously unreleased 2005 concert in Berlin, Germany.

Also worthy of note is that the digital edition of this album feature 2 bonus previoulsy unreleased tracks "Dogs And Birds" and "Email From A Vampire". They should have added both of these the physical CD. You would think they would want to give people more of an incentive to buy the actual product to help the already dying cd industry.

STANDARD 2-CD Edition: Comes in a trifold cardboard case with one disc inserted on each of the side flaps, and a booklet in the middle.
DELUXE 3-CD Edition: Comes in a CD sized casebound book with the same basic booklet as the standard edition, but with a few additional additional photos.
ULTIMATE EDITION: comes in a longer version of the Deluxe packaging at 2 times the length. The booklet is much more expanded with lyrics, release dates, single cover, and UK chart positions. One of the first things I noticed is that the release date and peak position for Tripping is incorrect. Sorry, but I am a nerd and minor details like this get on my nerves SO much. The bad news is that the discs are inserted into flaps on the side panels, and then almost rub up against each other so there is plenty of opportunity for scratches on the discs with time.
on 17 September 2011
Three quid for all these tracks is a bargain, but beware - the tracks have had the swearing removed, so Robbie's voice occasionally drops out of the mix. I found it quite annoying, and would have liked to have been told this was the case beforehand. Hence only 3 stars
VINE VOICEon 26 October 2010
The one thing you could probably never accuse Robbie Williams of is being boring. Certainly not musically anyway. Arguably the "charisma" of Take That, no amount of sub-Coldplay knock off's or women in their late 20's/early 30's screaming at Take That's recent comeback could change the fact that without Robbie, Take That lost the edge that made them such a fun proposition during the glory days. It's also worth pointing out that it's debateable whether Take That's comeback outselling Robbie's Rudebox really made up for the YEARS of success Williams had without his former band mates. Still, now that Take That's comeback had run out of steam and Robbie (and this greatest hits compilation if we're being honest) needed a career boost they did the sensible thing and got back together.

This "backwards" compilation starts with William's new single with Gary Barlow and whilst it would be easy to be cynical about its lyrical content there's no denying that it's a great song. From there we go back in time all the way back to Take That's Everything Changes; it's a strange way to compile a greatest hits in some ways but in may ways it works. The ubiquitous likes of Angels and Rock DJ may have lost some of their lustre over the years but are no less welcome on an occasional basis for all that and the less played-to-death hits like Millennium and Feel can be welcomed back like old school friends. She's Madonna and Lovelight show that Rudebox was by no means the disaster it was made out to be, whilst the fact that he could rope Nicole Kidman in for a duet of Something Stupid shows just how "big" Williams was at his peak, no matter how misguided you may feel that particular idea was.

If I was picking out what I considered to be his absolute finest hour musically, I would plump for the majestic No Regrets. Telling the story of his failed relationship with All Saints' Nicole Appleton it's a sweeping epic that (with the help of Neil Tennant and Neil Hannon) encapsulates the thoughtful and melancholy side to Williams character that was always there, even through the hedonistic "good" times.

For all the criticism Williams gets this set shows that he was never one to rest on his laurels. In many ways he's the unlikely star who many would have bet on to fade into obscurity. If it hadn't been for the surprise success of Angels that may well have been the case. He parlayed, however, that monster hit into a genuinely interesting career which may not have always "worked" in terms of great music but was rarely boring or straightforward. Two discs leaves us with some mis-fires and you may find yourself editing down the good stuff to fit on one CD, but in many ways this set is a fitting tribute to the eccentricity of Williams and his willingness to follow his own path.
on 11 January 2011
This is the piece of music that offers you everything you must have from the last 20 years of pop music. The best from the King - Robbie Williams, something that is worth buying - and of course www.amazon.co.uk is the right place to buy from.
on 12 October 2010
Huge Robbie fan so, of course, this latest release album is fab. But can someone please explain the blanking out of swear words to me, please? I am very disappointed by this as it detracts completely from those tracks in which it occurs ... or have I just managed to get an Under 12s version? It seems to be pathetic and infantile censorship - I'm a 44-year-old woman so am plenty old enough to make my own decisions about what to listen to. Sorry for the rant.
on 25 November 2010
This is a pretty awesome hits collection--a must for any RW fan! The booklet is pretty cool!

Video collection is a real treat!

It's just a shame "they" decided to edit the profanity out of the songs. Ridiculous.
Also, the discs are just slotted in cardboard holes which leaves a lot of room for the CDs and DVDs getting scratched up.

I made my copy of this for my IPod and put the CDs and DVDs in jewel cases.

I also deleted the edited tracks and replaced them with the original versions.

If I hadn't had to do all that this collection would have received five stars. :)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 May 2015
This DVD double set is EXCELLENT . It just proves that in TAKE THAT who has all the talent . The videos are total BRILLIANT . LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU is great and a real tribute to KISS who were (AND STILL ARE IN MY OPINION) Washed out wanna be rock stars ? All the singers who have toured with queen over the years since MERCURY CROAKED have been good but if ROBBIE WILLIAMS had of toured with them they would of been really great . MR WILLIAMS would of really pulled it off very well even the STUPID VEST & MOUSTACHE would of looked good on ROBBIE . There isn't a bad video on this collection . It even includes the TAKE THAT video for everything changes . A must for any ROBBIE / TAKE THAT OR POP FAN