on 3 May 2016
I bought the Hauppauge Live 2 mainly as a more portable way (in conjunction with a laptop) of copying from VHS and Sky box than having to lug a large desktop PC and monitor downstairs. However the Hauppauge's picture quality, when recording from VHS, is very poor compared with my XP-based desktop PC with a built-in Asus 7134 PCI card for doing video capture. The resolution is fine, but there is a *lot* of PAL dot-patterning, especially on saturated colours. Also some bright highlights reproduce as pale pink and/or lose detail. It's better than nothing, but I think I'll carry on using the desktop PC wherever I can.

The only case where the Hauppauge does have an advantage is when copying a Macrovision-protected VHS tape: it ignores Macrovision whereas the Asus card refuses to record in that situation.
on 14 July 2014
Does a good job of capturing old Hi8 tapes. Output is uncompressed video so you can use whatever real time compression your computer can manage. Only flaw I've spotted is that the S video connector doesn't have the location indent that it should do so plugging the cable in wasn't easy. I'm using it on Linux so haven't touched the supplied S/W. Hauppauge have a good reputation for ensuring their devices work under Linux and this just worked out of the box.
on 22 July 2013
Got this to replace a Dazzle DVC100 video capture because it wouldn't work on Windows 7, and this product really does the trick. The install of the WinTV product was fine (check the site for updates though), as was the also-bundled ArcSoft Showbiz video-editing software.

I use WinTV for capture, and it produces great quality standard-definition captures for use elsewhere, and that's all I wanted from it.

I have a few niggles, but I didn't down-star the product because I can live with them...

First, when recording from some composite video source with WinTV, you can't put a duration in which means you have to stop recording manually. I wrote a little DOS batch job that counts down a duration and stops the Windows service "HauppaugeTVServer", and that sorted that out (comment-me your e-mail address if you would like this code).

Second, the ShowBiz video-editing software (which can also record from the card) refuses to produce a widescreen 16:9 capture. I'm only a bit bothered because this software DOES have a duration feature so it'd be useful; I'm talking to their support to resolve this at the mo...

Thirdly, it would have been nice if the product had used H264 in its recording, since you can get a heck of a lot more on a DVD (for example), if that's your thing. I think the more-expensive Hauppauge offerings do this, so I'll not hold it against this product.

So, that's it. Great value, and works fine within its specification.
44 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2012
This works on video/s-video with ADOBE FMLE but not with audio as well which is pretty common with USB capture dongles in my experience. The capture quality is good and the build quality is reassuring with a much better breakout cable connection than a K-World USB2 device of cheaper alternative.

I have not used the enclosed software so I won't pass comment.

As always download the latest drivers.
44 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2014
I got this for Let's Play console capture with the PS2 and Wii (mainly PS2), and, for the PS2 capture, it's perfectly fine for 480, borderline 720 footage (Actual capture is 720x576). Frame-rate's good, didn't see any blending or ghosting, and all in all, extremely happy with this! The compact design is also a plus, although it does need a USB extender unless you like keeping your consoles close to your recording desktop/laptop.

The software that comes with it, ArcSoft Showbiz, can capture PS2 footage with no lag, which really helps cut out the middlemen, wiring wise, and is easy to use, although its editing options aren't that great. But considering I got this card and its software for capturing, not editing? Great!
on 20 September 2012
Be aware when you buy this item that you also need to purchase a set of adapter cables, as the connectors on the unit will not fit your TV out of the box. Also make sure your linguistic skills are in good order as the instructions supplied are in German, French, and Italian. When I raised this with the supplier I was advised to take it up with the manufacturer.

Apart from that, a nice bit of kit.
on 2 September 2014
Lose 2 stars because its not compatible with the current sdk, taking snapshots cannot be automated and you can't view images via Extend whilst recording. Otherwise, this device works reliably with wintv7 3.7 (vista 32bit) and Extend and appears to be suitable for cctv cameras up to 600tvl. It can be used with the included wintv7rec.exe for command line or batch file use and for automatic image recording using windows task scheduler (as well as WinTV). Haven't tried the s-video or audio inputs.
on 9 January 2015
Worth every penny, great quality item, worked straight out of the box.
I made the mistake of first buying a cheaper copy which was just rubbish and had loads of trouble with it.
This works, is well made and has excellent product support should you need it.
nuff said !
on 16 May 2014
Rubbish

we Have bought three of these and they have all failed and are being returned for a refund. will try and find another solution
on 28 June 2014
As some of the other reviews have said, despite the description the drivers don't seem to work with Windows 7 64-bit.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse