Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 November 2014
Simply the best version I have ever heard. Listen to the opening suite and you feel you are inside the cello, so beautiful is the resonance.
I borrowed the original version from a cello-playing relative many years ago ( yes, i did return it!) , but found the sound just a little muddy in places.
The remastered version fixes that and delivers a bright full frequency sound.
But best of all, it is musical.
on 24 August 2015
Bach created incomparable masterpieces in his six suites for unaccompanied cello. Bach performed his cello suites within the frame work of the standard Baroque suite: four basic older dances - allemande, courante, sarabande, and gigue - and galanderien, an optional group of newer, shorter, and more homo phonic dances usually in pairs - in the cello suites, pairs of minuets, bourrees, or gavottes which Bach inserted between the last two older dances. Additionally at the beginning of each suite there is a prelude.

The present Yo-YO Ma two disc remastered compilation is exquisitely rendered, warm, lush, and beautiful. You will treasure it in your collection. But is it the definitive rendition? The answer is that it cannot possibly be because the cello suites are flexible to player's interpretation. My personal recommendation for someone who would like to have more than one rendition would be Paul Tortelier's and going back in time Pablo Casals'.
on 27 January 2014
After a life of listening and playing psychedelic rock music, and now a maturing father of six, classical music really began to move me several years ago, up to a point where where it is now the main genre of music I listen too, and wonder why it took me so long! Last week I purchased the MP3 version of Yo-Yo Ma's Unaccompanied Cello Suites from Amazon and it is I consider one of the best I have in my collection now of over 200 classical albums.

The cello is a wonderfully moving instrument, and Yo-Yo Ma is unaccompanied and in full form. The recording is also good in that unalike some cello recordings I have the mike is placed as to not be able to her the heavy breathing of the concentrating artist behind the bow... its all bows and well... definitely worth a place in any classical collection.... fantastic!

Simon from Devon England
on 4 September 2014
Beautifully recorded version. Richly warm and involving when in the mood to pay attention. Equally ideal for drowning out the background noise of the world when reading (except when an exceptionally lovely piece demands attention).
on 26 May 2016
Probably the most famous contemporary cellist and yet for me a poor bowing technique. I think it is a combination of too much rosin on the bow and an attempt to put more attack on louder notes gives a grating/gritty quality to many of the more dynamic suites. The more subdued ones are pleasant but for me again I would have preferred a more chamber sounding recording (rather than an echoic churchy sound) as might befit a Bach cello solo. I was not transported to a better place by this cellist, rather, put on edge.
on 19 February 2014
Brilliant performer playing a superb cello makes for fantastic listening. The quality of the recording is such that one can feel the immense vibration of the cello in the hands of a master - Yo-Yo Ma.
on 3 May 2015
I love this music and the playing, to my untrained ear is immaculate. It has a timeless feel to it and seems to be as relevant to me, now, as it must have been to them, then. It is as satisfying to listen to it intently as it is to hear it as background music. Recommended.
on 8 April 2015
This is a delight and a pleasure to listen to. I am no recording/cello/Yo-yo Ma expert, but this is a great CD. I have played it many times in the last few weeks, and will continue to do so.
on 28 January 2013
Bought as a gift for a cello playing friend, very well received! We played it on Boxing Day and all enjoyed it.
on 24 January 2016
Always liked the Bach cello suites from buying a Pablo Casals version many years ago. Well played, and well recorded. Usefully each movement is a separate track.