Before buying this netbook I owned a Dell Mini 10 which got stolen. I had heard the Asus name, went to their website and found out they sell some pretty slick-looking devices.

Published on 22 Dec 2010 by Aleksei

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, poor, poor. Get a real computer instead.
Randomly freezes and needs rebooting. Wi-fi keeps disconnecting for no apparent reason.
Windows 7 'Starter' edition is a poor excuse for an operating system. The included version of Microsoft Office works fine, has adverts (but it is free so can't complain).

Published on 14 May 2011 by Simon COOPEY

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, sturdy, long battery life... worth every pence and more!, 22 Dec 2010

This netbook is primarily used by my wife, so it's not intended for heavy duty, however, comparing it to the Dell Mini 10, this little beauty has a couple of major strengths. First is performance, I don't know if it was because the Dell had Windows XP and the Asus has Windows 7, but boot up time is at least twice better in the Asus. Then, performance when starting up programs, on the Dell you could tell you were on a resource-limited machine, starting up Firefox took ages -very disappointing. The Asus feels almost like a desktop... keep in mind both machines have the same amount of RAM. Battery life is impressive, maybe not those 11 hrs claimed, but close.

Another major difference is the materials, the Dell felt like a toy made out of cheap plastic. When holding it by the base you could feel the wrist rest sinking under your thumb pressure. Clicking the trackpad buttons wasn't very reliable you could hear it click, but the click wouldn't actually happen on the screen, unless you pressed harder. Very unreliable and anoying. While the Dell was also a fingerprint feast, the Asus just looks prettier, feels very, very solid, anti-fingerprint pattern all over... lovey, dovey stuff.

I feel I should have paid more for the Asus. It's a perfect netbook for it's intended use. The keyboard might be a tad small for my hands, but for my little wife it's just the ticket! the whole thing!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic small alternative to laptop, 22 Jan 2011
Parker Pen - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus Eee PC 1015P 10.1 inch netbook (Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, WLAN, Webcam, Up to 11hrs battery life, Windows 7 Starter) - Black (Electronics)
This is so dinky and cute, am writing my review on it right now! It has all the functions and less of the weight and bulkiness associated with a laptop. It was a purchase made for my son but to be honest, I have it most days! I have the white one.

It has never let me down or crashed or had any hiccups, it is sturdy and robust for all it's small. I still have my family tower pc ,but this is on my wireless network and can be taken room to room and powered up anywhere.

The battery does last long on a charge, and the netbook is compact enough to go anywhere on the move.

Ten out of ten buy ,and no qualms recommending it.

Using the pad as opposed to the mouse is something I got used to really quickly too.

Bright LCD screen, and enough ports for your media needs ( as no CD drive!)

On summarising it has:

* Function indication lights ie battery level, wi fi etc
* DC slot -on left
* 3 usb slots (on left and right side)
* Built-in stereo speakers
* Built-in webcam
* Headphone socket
* Mic socket
* Small ,lightweight and durable
* Versatile and very user friendly
* Suits children and adults alike
* Suits both left and right handed users
* Perfect companion to your main pc if you need something 'extra'
* Reliable and well made
* Ideal for travelling keeping kids amused in backseat, holidays,etc
* Space saving
* Low power consumption

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought the Windows upgrade, though may revert to XP, 26 Feb 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I bought this eee PC 1015P after my much-loved two and a bit year old eee PC 901 came to an unfortunate and untimely end. Athough only the eee PC 901 one has been my personal netbook, I have been responsible for buying/setting up a number of other (mainly eee PC) netbooks since I bought this.

Upon opening the box I'm immediately conscious of feeling that this netbook, though up to ASUS's usual good build quality standards, isn't quite as end-user friendly as some of the earlier incarnations of the eee PC. The outside is a dimpled surface plastic that I don't particularly look forward to cleaning, but apart from that everything feels robust as usual. The monitor cleaning cloth and neoprene slipcover included with earlier versions of the eee PC have been jetisoned from this pack, so until you've bought a case you can't really take it with you unless you're willing to get the outside of your new computer all scratched.

Turning the machine on to use it for the first time takes a little while - there's a rather long-winded Windows 7 startup process and the inevitable yards of EULA to agree to before anything becomes useable. Within minutes of completing setup, I find I'm a bit disappointed in the bundled software. Star Office, the excellent MS-compatible suite of Office Programs which has appeared on every other eee machine I've used has been replaced with a truncated version of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel in Starter versions only complete with advertising), leaving you light on Office tools functionality. A quick visit to Open Office sorts out the immediate problem of restricted Word Processing/Spreadsheets and NO presentation software. There is an included anti-virus package - but only on a 1-month trial - and a rather random ereader for the New York Times.

And then there's Windows 7.

The latest Windows behemoth is big, clunky, slow AND as the machine comes with only the Starter version bundled has some major restrictions. For instance, don't like the dull as ditchwater Windows wallpaper? Shame, because there's no native way to change it. Worse, if you make use of third party software to allow changes to be made you are, apparently, breaching the license agreement. Want DVD playback through MediaPlayer and an external DVD drive? Tough. Switch between users without logging out? Not going to happen. Backup to a network device such as a wi-fi hard drive? Nada. Microsoft have held these features back for the premium version.

Salvation is, apparently, at hand as even the start menu helpfully pushes you towards 'Windows Anytime Upgrade'... but the upgrade to home premium offered online from Microsoft comes in at roughly a third more expensive than the version available for sale on Amazon, so if you've got an external DVD drive then avoid this easy-seeming fix like the plague. The best bet, if you think you're going to find the restrictions imposed by the Starter version of Windows 7 too confining, is to buy the reduced-price upgrade currently offered as a bundled item when you buy an eligible PC/laptop/netbook. I'm so annoyed that I didn't do this!

Overall, this is a nice, well-built netbook. It isn't quite as immediately all-round useable as some of the earlier eee PC models, but the ASUS issues are generally little niggles (and things that wouldn't have concerned me at all, had I been new to the brand). Most of this netbook's drawbacks can be laid squarely at the door of Microsoft.

As others have said, bring back XP for netbook users!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, poor, poor. Get a real computer instead., 14 May 2011
Simon COOPEY (London or Newport/Casnewydd) - See all my reviews

The machine itself is light and highly portable, the screen is very clear and has good definition.

I would recommend spending a bit more and getting a proper computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Net Book shame about Windows 7, 10 Feb 2011
Having previously bought the original PC4G(701) and 1005P I think the 1015P is the best so far. Well built, an improved keyboard and excellent battery life. As with the previous models I eventually installed a customized version of Windows XP Professional SP3 (WXP). Fortunately Asus still provide the drivers etc.

I know that WXP is obsolete and so gave Windows 7 Starter (W7S) a reasonable trial but found it incredibly frustrating. From pressing the power button to having the hour glass disappear took 50.44 seconds with W7S but only 41.93 with WXP. I wasn't impressed with Express Gate either which takes 23.93 seconds to boot to a usable state and really isn't that useful.

With some care it is possible to preserve the partitions for restoring W7S, running Express Gate and Boot Boost (15GB in total) whilst providing the rest for Windows XP. As shipped W7S has two drives of 80GB and 54GB separated by a 15GB system partition thus making the process more complicated than it need be.

The LED back-lit screen is a huge improvement over previous models and is easy on the eyes. Using an additional monitor or TV at a higher resolution as an extended desktop makes it viable to use for serious work as well as entertainment. Considering that this machine is probably more powerful than anything that was around when WXP was first shipped it is not surprising that for most tasks it is more than adequate.

Much to my surprise I find I use it more than my regular desktop. If it had been shipped with WXP rather than W7S it would definitely get 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy rimes, 21 Jan 2011
An excellent product, simple to use with a very good keyboard and long time battery. So pleased sent one to my sister. Now I can keep up to date with messages when visiting, can keep in touch with distant friends with the web cam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages, 21 May 2011
I purchased this laptop so that we had something portable to view pictures and videos, plus the ability to pick up email when we are abroad. It does everything I expected and more. I like the keyboard which is positive and, despite its small size, easy to use. The mouse-pad is fine providing you keep your palms well clear of it while your typing (but that goes for any mouse-pad). It seems well built and the battery lasts for a good five or six hours which suits me. I have the screen brightness up high and the Wi-fi permanently on, so I don't expect to get the advertised battery life in this mode. A lot has been said on the inadequacies of Windows 7 starter edition. So far I have not found any problem. It connected to my home, Wi-fi network instantly and also located and installed software to operate the printer on this network - something I have not been able to do on another computer running Windows 7 professional edition. One of the problems operating computers running Windows 7 on a network is setting up the folder permission for both sharing and security and this took some sorting out. Windows 7 help menus are not comprehensive on this issue, but this is criticism of Microsoft not of Asus. I disabled the screensaver advert, which drove us crazy advertising the virtues of the computer that we had just bought. I also disabled the Asus custom software on the desktop offering their internet service. I have installed Google Chroma as my browser and am able to watch BBC i-player most successfully, without having to upgrade the RAM as many have suggested. All in all an excellent buy at a good price. I would recommend it to anyone, with the proviso that people who are not particularly literate, get someone who is, to get rid of a lot of the unnecessary software provided with this great little machine. The machine itself merits a full five stars but I have to say that the delivery service used by Amazon was not good. The machine and some other goods that I had purchased were just dumped on my doorstep while I was out and it was most fortunate that they were not stolen!

5.0 out of 5 stars asus eee, 19 Jan 2011
A gift from Santa to my daughter at Christmas, she was over the moon; Good looking in a sleek white finish. A good battery life and so easy to set up and use. A top scorer from Which magazine and a top scorer from my daughter and I. Well done!

3.0 out of 5 stars Questionable build quality, 13 April 2012
This is the second EEE PC netbook I own. Generally Asus is doing a good job providing usable machines.

The downside is poor quality in components that matter.
This is the second machine in which the keyboard fails, regular use pattern. But hey, it's been two years. But hey, replacing one costs 20+ pound and UK layout takes a bit to find (don't go to asusparts europe, they offer at a price of 44 euro, use Amazon instead).
This is the second machine in which the drive fails. That one after the warranty had just run off. Minor faults in some sectors, enough to break the OS.

Hence the value of backups. The recovery partition and the InstantOn can be preserved quite easily, but you need the knowledge and tools. If you've done that successfully, you can wipe W7 starter off and repartition, then use the recovery process to reinstate W7 on a smaller patch.

Other bad-ish bits:
- the OS, W7 Starter; I personally found it very limiting. Attempted to use it and felt insulted. Debian works quite well, except microphone (you need a new kernel) and wifi (which is slow and keeps disconnecting without reconnecting again; only Windows drivers seem to work, through ndiswrapper and work well; the chip inside keeps changing, so yours might be something else than advertised, it's worth having a look yourself)
- the screen hinge; less angle than in the 900s and looks flimsy; people with kids beware; hint: there's a steady offer of "bases" on ebay, that is, computers without the screen, one wonders why.

Good bits:
Battery life, screen, silent operation, does not get warm (no noisy fans), quiet-ish drive, the InstantOn (although limited and not transparent), reasonable performance overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little machine, 1 Jun 2011
J. R. Brooks (UK) - See all my reviews
I studied the reviews of various netbooks and somehow landed on the Asus. One criterion was that I wanted a non-black netbook! However the Asus has met all my expectations. We only use it for browsing on the internet and the occasional Skype call. Battery life seems good although not very close to the claimed 11 hours. I find the Asus toolbar at the top of the screen irritating and, for me, useless. I managed to not load the non-free Virus checker and down-loaded the free AVG virus checker; I have always found the latter excellent on various machines and never have (knowingly) had a virus. We have not noticed slow response but then we are used to Windows so have not found the need to increase the RAM as is often recommended
Altogether a nice little machine.