Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 1 June 2011
Most of the tales here are an experiment by the writer, trying to tell a story in exactly 100 words. For the most part they work - sometimes exceptionally well, delivering a punchline that really hits the mark ("It's... It's moving!"). There are a couple of longer tales, with The Spider and the Fly probably being the best, and the bonus story by David Dalglish is also a chilling addition to the mix. A short read all in all, but David McAfee can certainly string a word together and I for one am glad he chose the horror genre in which to ply his trade! Recommended.
on 4 December 2011
It's true that the 100 word stories are over in a heartbeat, but if you're prepared for that they're enjoyable moments of horror which are only improved by letting your imagination fill in the gaps. I also liked the longer sections, the title story was a nice take on the 'stoners go to a lake' horror setup. I'm definitely going to seek out more by this author.
on 2 October 2010
So you stumbled across this book. Maybe you've never heard of David McAfee. You're thinking: should I chance a buck on this or buy one-tenth of something famouser? First of all, famouser isn't a word. Second, stop thinking and click the buy button. I guarantee you won't be sorry.

I've been reading and writing horror most of my life, and I've paid for a lot of stinkers. This isn't one of them. McAfee's flash fiction is expertly honed, and the longer stories rank right up there with the works of Richard Laymon and Brian Keene. The tales are fun, disgustingly delicious, and unforgettable.

This is big-time horror for a small-time price. Do yourself a favor and give McAfee a try. Then go read everything else he's written. That's my plan anyway.
on 10 March 2011
In the introduction to this book (but tellingly not in the Amazon blurb) McAfee makes it clear that the majority of these stories are exactly 100 words long, that he wrote them as exercises in tight horror. Not knowing they were THAT short made me feel a little cheated. 10 seconds: on to the next story. It's like they're written for the writer to hone his skill, not for the reader's entertainment.
I could have got past that if the tales themselves weren't so unpleasant. They get straight to their point, and it's usually buried in a body. No subtlety, just 'gorenography' in many cases.
McAfee has a writing talent, that's obvious. It's just such a shame (to me) that he's chosen to turn it to these nasty minute pieces.
on 7 December 2011
Sorry to spoil it for you. Some of the short stories are funny and delightfully gory, and overall I'd say that it was a good if repetitive read. The bonus story is enjoyable, perhaps more so than the longer stories that McAfee contributes.
on 29 September 2012
Stories far too short and not at all believable, got very bored with the book quite quickly! Not even worth the very low price that I paid!!
on 7 March 2013
I found this collection of morbid short stories a very disappointing read. Many of the stories are extremely short, limited to only 100 words.