5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant
This book belongs to one of my favourite genres (psychological thriller with a twist) and so, because I read so many, I am particularly fussy. Well, I could not have been more pleased with it. It has absolutely captured me from the very first line to the very last one. An engaging read written in letter form, from a sister to another.

Beatrice lives in New...
Published on 21 Feb 2011 by I LOVE BOOKS

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly four stars
Published on 8 Nov 2010 by Frances Stott

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)

Beatrice lives in New York with her fiancé. Her mother rings her up one day delivering shattering news: her younger sister Tess has vanished. The ties between sisters are very strong despite the geographical distance and of course Beatrice hops on the first plane out to London. The circumstances of Tess' disappearance are multi-layered with obscure details and Beatrice is determined to find Tess no matter what. Little does she know, boarding that plane, of the journey she will have to face, uncovering some horrible, painful and frightening facts that will forever change everybody's life.

This book deserves a high praise because it is not only engaging, it has a certain psychological depth that is seldom felt on fast-paced reads, no matter how entertaining. The vocabulary is stylish and cultured and it perfectly conveys emotions and feelings, entwined with the chilly, suspenseful atmosphere that permeates the story. It also defines the deep, deep love between the two sisters. Piercingly touching.

Thumbs up for debut writer Rosamund Lupton!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Wonderful Debut Novel, 10 Sep 2010
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
This book is one of the best detective stories I have ever read. It is a story about an older sister trying to find out what happened to her younger sister whilst reflecting on how much we ever really know someone.

The pace is fast, it is a cliche but this book deserves the accolade a real page-turner. On her quest to find the truth Beatrice finds herself retracing Tess's steps meeting and suspecting everyone Tess has been in contact with.

The best thing about this book was that it kept you turning right to the very last page.

I would recommend this book to everyone, simply fantastic and I hope Rosumund Lupton has more to show us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant thriller debut, 2 Sep 2010
F. Blunt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Taught plotting, moving story and wonderful characterisation. SISTER is a nuanced and gripping read. As Beatrice takes the first flight home from New York upon learning of her sister's disappearance we follow her down the rabbit hole of her sister's life. As Beatrice starts to pull together the strands of Tess's life she becomes mired in the same danger and could well face the same consequences. What is most powerful about this story is the writer's understanding of what we will do for love and what extremes we will go to to protect and avenge those closest to us. For anyone with a sister, brother, parent or child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sister, 29 Jun 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
After receiving a phone call to say her sister Tess is missing Beatrice immediately drops everything and flies back to England to search for her. The sisters have always been close but as Beatrice starts to investigate Tess's life she realises that she may not have known as much about Tess as she thought she did.

Sister is a fantastic debut novel and one that has me very excited to see what Rosamund Lupton comes up with next. I don't want to go into the plot in too much detail because I would hate to give spoilers, the story is one that needs to be savored and I want others to enjoy peeling back the layers to uncover the mystery for themselves. I have already read over 100 books this year but Sister blew my mind and was by far my favourite read out of all of them. I was gripped from practically the first page and resented the fact that I had to put it down even for a few minutes.

The story is told from Beatrice's point of view in the format of a letter to her missing sister and we gradually find out more about both of them and Beatrice's search for the truth about what happened to Tess. Beatrice isn't the most sympathetic character at the beginning, I felt her fear and grief for her sister but didn't particularly like her. She is quite uptight and definitely snobbish, looking down on her sister and her friends because they don't live up to her high expectations. In a lot of ways Beatrice and Tess are complete opposites but they always loved each other and were very close. As the story progresses and Beatrice spends more time following Tess's footsteps you start to see a real change come over her and she becomes much more likable.

Rosamund Lupton managed to pull me completely into the story so I felt every emotion Beatrice goes through as if it was my own. As the plot unravels I was pulled in so many different directions never quite sure where the story would take me next and the twist at the end just about blew my mind. It was a bit like watching the film The Sixth Sense for the first time, not because the endings are similar but because the ending makes so many other things throughout the story suddenly become clear. Sister is a beautifully written emotional journey that I wish I could erase from my mind just so I could have the joy of reading it for the first time all over again! A highly recommended read and one you shouldn't miss out on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly four stars, 8 Nov 2010
Frances Stott (Devizes, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Like many other reviewers, I really enjoyed the first two thirds of this novel. It was exciting (not thrilling, but exciting is enough for me), the character of Beatrice believable and sympathetic, the idea original. But oh dear! That "twist"! It was a terrible let-down. A twist is fine - in fact, often it's a good device - but it must never leave the reader feeling cheated, as this one did. It rendered much of the novel valueless and unauthentic, and, I think, spoilt the novel as a whole. This is such a shame, because the novel has the makings of a really excellent read. The sad thing is that I suspect it was the twist that (at least partly) gave the writer the idea in the first place. But it simply didn't work for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sister, 4 Oct 2010
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was not quite what I expected, described as a thriller by the comments on the book cover, but I wouldn't really say that. It's based upon the disappearance of a young woman, and how her sister comes home from New York to find out what happened to her. However, there are not many thrills or excitement, hence I wouldn't call it a thriller.
That doesn't mean I'm criticising the book itself, more how the cover leads you to believe that's what it is. I would say it's more a book about the relationship between two sisters, with one of them desperate to find out the truth about the other's fate. It is written as a letter from Beatrice, the older sister, to the younger one Tess, who has disappeared. There is what I have seen described as a 'massive twist' at the end of the book, I found this very bizarre, and not a good twist, just rather silly as it then means that half the things in Beatrice's letter were not true and quite simply made up. I can't see the point in that at all, I see that it ties to the climax of the story but nevertheless it just seemed a very odd way to go.
It's an enjoyable enough read up to this weird twist and I would probably try another book by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars overrated, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
I bought this on the strength of generally good reviews and
the (very low) Amazon price. I did manage to read it to the end, but put the book down with a sense of irritation. The 'twist' at the end feels contrived and unconvincing. The confused authorial voice renders the plot convoluted & difficult to follow. The characterisation is poor, and I couldn't really bring myself to care about most of the characters, with the possible exception of the Polish girl.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 18 Dec 2010
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
Sensible, responsible elder sister Beatrice rushes back to London when she finds out her scatty, scruffy younger sister, Tess, is missing. When Tess is found dead, everyone except Beatrice believes she killed herself. Beatrice decides to prove that Tess was murdered and to find out who done it, and why.

So far so good. From here on in, there are two distinct strands to this book, one I loved, the other I thought was handled very clumsily. If you watch the little video on this page, the author mentions these strands when says she wanted to write a book about the love between sisters and also an 'unputdownable' detective story.

Firstly, and most importantly, the relationship between the two sisters is brilliantly and movingly described. I loved the way Beatrice came to know and understand Tess as she got to know her friends, live in her flat, wear her clothes and so on. The way Beatrice came to realise that Tess's friends were, in fact, wonderful people who she had initially misjudged, was handled with sensitivity and skill. I liked some of the passages in which Beatrice addressed Tess directly, and found the very end of the book intense and emotional.

I honestly think this would have been a better book if it had just been about Beatrice discovering her sister through the legacy of what she left behind. As it is, the detective story part of the book spoils and detracts from the other thread. The main plot is just silly and very thin, so it is padded out with a host of weak red herrings and two-dimensional caricatures. As other reviewers have said it is very, very easy to spot the murderer and their motivation has more holes in it than my colander.

Having said all that, I will definitely read the next book by this author as the good bits were very good!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an incredible book!, 13 Nov 2011
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
I can't stress enough how much this book will grip you from the very start and then take you on an emotional rollercoaster ride that as you travel through the pages you can feel yourself falling deeper and deeper into the text. It truly is an amazing and extremely well written book right from page one to the very end. It's a compulsive page turner when real life comes second as you simply have to digest every twist and turn as quickly as possible until the full story has been told.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing but what a plot!, 17 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sister (Paperback)
I think that Rosamund Luptop is obviously a very talented writer, and its that quality that keeps you reading to the end. I found it slightly annoying the way the narration switched between giving a witness statement to someone at the CPS and a letter written to her sister. I also found the plot a bit shaky with a bit of a Scoobydoo ending. You are left with the feeling that this book could have been so much better than it actually was. I would definitely read other books by this author as she is really talented. It didn't surprise me that she has previously worked on screenplays, that does come across in her writing.

Sister