5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary
Extraordinary. I stopped reading this after a few pages - para stuff is not terribly interesting for me and photos showing future images has been done. I went back just because I don't really like leaving books unfinished. Having persevered I was stunned to read the drop by drop anguish of an innocent man in the grasp of intelligent men, following bureaucratic minutiae to...
Published 19 months ago by Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying reading
This was a satisfying read. The author obviously has some skill in writing. My only gripe is that it did go on a bit too long in the first half, to the point where I really did not have any idea what direction the story was heading. I would recommend it to kindle users, as it's well written and also relevant in today's post 9/11 society .
Published on 30 May 2011 by GregWhelan

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep reading.. It has depth.... And vision, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: No Good Deed: A Psychological Thriller (The Mark Taylor Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure when I stared to read this but something kept me in there.... Can we learn by this? Almost Every feeling you have ever experienced sweeps through your body.... . Brilliant...

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh boy ! What a ride !, 6 Feb. 2014
I read this book in two days, which does vouch for how much I liked it. Today, the day after finishing it, I feel drained. I blame the book for keeping me up late at night so I could finish it, but also for the emotional ride it took me on.
I must confess, I thought about giving up a quarter of the way in. I wasn't sure I wanted to hear more than what I already knew of Mark's treatment. But I kept on, because I liked the character, felt sorry for the injustice he fell victim to - I wanted to know he was going to be alright. Half way in, and I felt like I could finally breathe. But it wasn't enough. I had to know what happened after that.

I've seen some complaints about the main character, but to me he was perfect. He felt credible. If I were in his shoes, I don't think I would come out of that ordeal ready to take on the world and be a superhero. I think with all hope being gone, and being "broken," having lost everything and not knowing what tomorrow would be made of, I'd sink into depression. And I loved that there were long-term effects, it wasn't just a case of "It's over, let's move on." I'd think whoever finds himself in a similar situation, whether it's isolation, confinement, lack of sunshine, torture etc. would not just shrug it off as something of the past once it's over.

I also liked the "different" pattern this thriller used. In most of what I've read, you know that something is going to happen right from the beginning, and the story builds up to that big event, which is what keeps the reader going. But here, it's not like that. So I feel like I read on because yeah, I wanted to know what was going to happen with the camera, but also with the character. The end was a welcome plus, and a great introduction to what comes in the next books in the series (well, I guess so, anyway). I haven't read them yet, but I sure will. Will the camera's "curse" eventually become a blessing?

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 20 July 2013
It took me a while to actually start reading the book because I thought the premise was odd that someone would be using a camera to be able to predict the future, but then when I finally came around to it, it all fell into place perfectly. The story is just captivating and the 3 main characters are all very convincingly written and likable even though Jim, a anti terrorism agent, is inadvertently put in a bad light for what he has to do during a major part of the book. I think I will purchase the sequels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thouroughly enjoyed this., 25 Feb. 2013
I found this book fast and easy to read...not too much detail, just right. I thought it was a very good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent thriller, 29 Oct. 2011
I downloaded this book when it was free, the synopsis sounded interesting,so i gave it a go. I was gripped from the start. great book, definitely worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Good Deed, 1 July 2011
Mark Taylor buys a camera that shows him the future. Unfortunately for him, nobody believes him. His warnings pertaining to 9/11 are misconstrued as an indication of his involvement in the plot and he is taken into custody as an enemy combatant by the US government.

Great plot and fabulous characters combined with brutally descriptive scenes of the worst side of humanity result in a must read novel. Just make sure you buy it when you're going to have some free time. You're not going to want to put this one down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but schizophrenic, 29 Jun. 2011
There are two stories in this book: the fantastical and the political. I would have happily read the political one but - from the description - I was expecting the fantastical plot to be first and foremost. It wasn't, in fact it was probably only 50% of the book and I enjoyed the political part more: it was better written and I certainly found it more gripping than the story of the camera. Overall, I found this book a bit of a disappointment. I wouldn't say that the two plot arms should not have been combined, but the proportions were wrong and made, in my opinion, an uneasy whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but very entertaining and engrossing, 23 Jun. 2011
An ancient camera with ability to foresee the future comes into Mark Taylor's possession, but trying to change the 'picture' is not easy or without serious repercussions. Not my usual read but excellent, I enjoyed every moment, it's just SO WELL WRITTEN. Looking forward to reading the next book but the book is a complete story in itself.
The main character is so well written one could 'see' what he saw and feel his fear/frustration etc., will be looking to see what else this author has written and hope it's up to the same standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story - and thought provoking too...., 5 Jun. 2011
M. Leese (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Downloaded this at random from Kindle store as it was free and I'm glad I did.
This is a good story as the write up goes about Mark Taylor, his camera and ensuing dreams of events that are yet to happen that he goes and tries to prevent or minimise the effects of.
However it's thought provoking in the handling of his arrest and detention by the CIA in the USA and their mistreatment of him. This makes you consider such things as wrongful detention, enemy combatants, dealing with terrorists and even the use of torture in interrogation.
I'd certainly recommend this as a fairly quick read and will be looking out for more in this series and by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed, 29 Aug. 2014
A thought provoking book. An interesting and exciting look at an ordinary person caught up in big events resisting the best attempts of the state to get him to confess to anything, in the cause of the greater good. The tension got to me and I couldn't put it down. I have already picked up another one.

I thought that Mark would be likely to be more creative in his reaction to the torture, having a creative career. But that said, the way everybody reacted to him and his story was credible and well written.

A thrilling story with issues that stayed in the mind long after reading it.