5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star Unforgettable drama
For years now we have been force fed bland television, programme after programme of 'reality TV' and countless 'lazy' buckets of tripe viewing.
When I heard that Shane Meadows was to head up a series sequel to the film 'This is England' I could see a glimmering spec of light at the end of the tunnel of TV crassness.
And thankfully Meadows delivers in spade...
Published on 29 Sept. 2010 by Mr. J. C. Schofield

3.0 out of 5 stars YOP SCHEMES AND MAGGIE THATCHER
I was maybe built up too much for this and was slightly disappointed,I enjoyed the first one immensely this is why I bought this dvd.I was 16 in 1986 and grow up on a council estate.I think the reality of that time was actually more brutal for your average working class youth,trying to find a way to make it in Thatchers Britain.
I think it played to much for...
Published on 18 Nov. 2010 by P. J. McCartney

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars not as good as the, 17 Sept. 2014
Liz Guest (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
brought for the set, not as good as the first

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is England goes from strength to strength, 18 Sept. 2010
Ben Kane (Nr Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
Like the previous two reviewers, I'm a big Shane Meadows fan. I have been ever since seeing his curiously titled but gem of a film A Room For Romeo Brass ten years ago. I've watched out for all his films since then, and saw This Is England practically the day it came out in the cinema. When I read some months ago that he was making a 4 part TV continuation of the story, I was delighted. At last the waiting is over!

Although Meadows hadn't made TV programmes before, he makes the transition to the small screen with aplomb. His deftness of touch is everywhere, from the punchy dialogue and accurately recreated 80s scenes, to the great music, to the sharply observed, sometimes deeply troubling scenes. He's particularly fond of poignant, lingering shots of the characters, with no dialogue, just music. These are very effective. I was surprised not to be grabbed immediately by the first episode, but that's probably only because I haven't seen the film since 2006. Within 10 minutes, I had been drawn in, and from there on in, I was hooked.

I won't give away the storyline, except to say that we are now following many characters rather than just the little boy Sean (the outstanding Thomas Turgoose) who was the main star of This is England. The acting throughout, especially from Vicky McClure (Lol) and Andrew Shim (Milky), is excellent. The fact that there are now 4 x 45 minute episodes allows Meadows to make this a richer experience than 1 & 1/2 hours of film allowed him before. That's not to say I'm criticising the original film - far from it - it was outstanding.

Quite simply, This is England '86 is TV at its finest, written by one of the best British directors around. Buy it, watch it, enjoy it! The good news is that Meadows is thinking of making a further mini-series set 4 years further on again: This is England '90. I can't wait!

Ben Kane, author of The Forgotten Legion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
A great dvd a great good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing on TV ever, 13 April 2012
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
This has to be the greatest TV program Ever, yes i used the word Ever. I was thinking will it get better then the film and the answer is it's as good as. It had me jumping throw hoops of feelings it gave me ups and downs, it was the most powerful drama i have ever seen. It gives you the viewer a attachment to the gang making you feel as one of there friends as a member of the gang. Gold Dust

5.0 out of 5 stars unmissable series, 16 Jan. 2011
L. Wilson "lis" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
If you missed it on the TV it's a must. We thought it was even better than the original film. Well worth a look. The disc was purchased new and did not disappoint on arrival.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!!!, 26 Dec. 2010
Mrs. J. Watts - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
I couldnt believe this series! It was AMAZING!!! It made me laugh, cry, and shocked me into silence. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars england 86 and shaun meadows, 12 Nov. 2010
K. Barnes (oxfordshire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
Loved this series when on the t.v, so just had to buy it so could watch it again and again.
Great characters and great preformances from the cast along with the talent of Shaun Meadows, one of the greats

3.0 out of 5 stars YOP SCHEMES AND MAGGIE THATCHER, 18 Nov. 2010
P. J. McCartney "Scot in Seattle" (Seattle USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
I think it played to much for laughs,although the sex abuse was obviously hard-hitting and shocking.
The eighties were a pivotal time for the working classes who lived in these estates and I think it could have been highlighted a bit better,The drama could have been anytime in the last 30yrs.In saying that it was good,I think I expected just a bit more social commentary about those dark days and the reasons why many people including myself left the UK for a better life abroad.

Ps may I recommend One Summer as a fantastic drama made in the eighties,which is a lot more realistic about life in the inner cities during the reign of Thatcher.It also stars a very young David Morrisey

5.0 out of 5 stars So worth the wait!!, 8 Sept. 2010
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
As a fan of Shane Meadows' work I was really looking forward to seeing his first TV project finally hitting the screen.
Happily it didn't disappoint, stylishly shot, it really does justice to the original film and it was good to see that all the original cast are back for the TV version.
There are very few programmes that I make a point of being in to watch but this will be one of them, the trail for next week's episode looks even better than last night's show and I can't wait to see how the Lol and Woody wedding story unfolds - top stuff - have already ordered my DVD!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Oct. 2014
Excellent

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

This Is England '86 [DVD]
This Is England '86 [DVD] by Thomas Turgoose (DVD - 2010)