5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, moving and very real
Published on 15 Jun. 2010 by Littlepig Littlepig

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick read
This is a quick read with quite a few laugh out loud moments. It takes the format of alternately recounting a story about Justin and his dad and then reeling off a list of twitter sized dialogue fragments. It's good for car journeys or maybe even toilet reading since you can practically dip in and out at any point of the book and have a laugh.
Published on 30 July 2010 by Super Drumkit Dominator

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, moving and very real, 15 Jun. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found Justin Halpern's Twitter account quite unexpectedly as I don't usually display any interest in Twitter. A year later his father's quips and one-liners still have the power to make me laugh, but this book wraps them in a more three-dimensional background of family and other characters which gives them context. Rather than detracting from the humour of Mr Halpern's sayings, this adds to their power. I very much enjoyed getting to know Mr Halpern as an individual and learning about the Halpern family dynamic.

Justin Halpern writes with obvious affection and admiration for his family and it's a joy to read. The book is short, but to be honest it didn't need to be any longer; it doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't. If you can ignore the frequent cursing it's a light, pleasant and ultimately uplifting read. I'll be giving it to my father for Father's Day - having warned him about the language first!

5.0 out of 5 stars The anti-Tuesdays with Morrie, 22 May 2010
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
28 year old Justin Halpern broke up with his girlfriend and moved back in with his 73 year old father Sam, a retired doctor, described as "Socrates but angrier". He began tweeting his dad's quotes from day to day and built up a massive online following. And so 21st century publishing continues its natural progression from publishing blogs, podcasts, and now tweets.

What's surprising to someone like me who doesn't use Twitter in coming across this book is how funny Sam Halpern is. Here's a sample of quotes:

On slumber parties: "There's chips in the cabinet and ice-cream in the freezer. Stay away from knives and fire. Okay I've done my part, I'm going to bed."

On receiving straight A's on my report card: "Hot damn! You're a smart kid I don't care what people say about you...I'm kidding, nobody says you're not smart. They say other stuff, but not that."

On finding out I tried marijuana: "Pretty great right? ... Really? Well, we differ in opinion then. Don't tell your mom I said that though. Tell her I yelled at you and called you a moron. Actually don't tell her anything. See, now I'm paranoid and I didn't even smoke any."

Lest anyone think it's a quote book, it's not. There's a chapter of quotes and the next chapter is an anecdote from the past involving Justin and his dad, then another quote chapter, then another memoir chapter, etc. It works really well and gives the book substance.

It's a wonderful book full of laughter and fun that I absolutely loved and I'm sure most people reading this will love it too.

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick read, 30 July 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 23 May 2010
Pete in Wiltshire (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
really light-hearted book, so easy to read and very, very funny. I have three books "in the queue" at the moment, then this book arrived and I thought I'd just read the introduction to get a feel for the book. Two sittings and a couple of hours later...

The book is split into chapters which cover the moral spectrum, and generally start off with the author reeling off some anecdote involving his dad, and conclude with several of his dad's one-line witicisms on the subject. Dad seems like a fairly level-headed kind of guy, mostly what he says makes perfect sense, but over and above all this, dad's wisdom is imparted with a healthy dose of humour (and more than a sprinkling of profanity!)

A great read, you'll be done with the book in the space of a couple of days, but will certainly be left with a smile on your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but brilliant read, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Shit My Dad Says (Paperback)
Having read the reviews, I wasn't too worried about risking a few quid on this book. It's brash, uses colourful language but it's all true - in fact I think I can probably relate to some of the quotes in this book. It seriously is laugh out loud stuff and you don't really come across that anymore. I couldn't put this book down and so I finished it almost on a long haul flight. Definitely worth the read if you're open minded and like to read about real life experiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ!!!, 8 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Shit My Dad Says (Paperback)
Let's just say, this item was delivered yesterday, and i finished it today!
It's hilarious and light hearted. You won't want to put it down and makes you pray for a another book that is just as funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars I find myself increasingly thinking like his dad, just with a bit less swearing, 3 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Shit My Dad Says (Paperback)
This is a gem of a book. It had me laughing aloud on the train and I really could not put it down. Which meant I'd finished it the day I bought it.

Justin Halpern's dad says the things I find myself thinking, or wish I had thought. I wish I'd been the first to say "I'm not sure what breakdancing is, but I sincerely hope it is not what you are doing". The vignettes are vivid and poignant. The book is more riddled with invective than Irvine Welsh or Tarantino, but it's done with such grumpy good humour and humanity that it quickly becomes part of the landscape. It takes a master swearer to make terms of endearment out of language like that.

There's also a good deal in the book that, without making a meal of it. explores the very special relationship between a son and father as the son goes from child to adulthood, and the father moves from middle to old age. As well as being extremely funny, it's also a very frank and touching account of the love of a father for his son, and vice versa.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 16 Sept. 2010
M. E. Pike "starfishuk" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shit My Dad Says (Paperback)
Being more of a Facebook girl I missed out on the buzz surrounding this on Twitter - it was only catching an article in Metro on the way to work and later hearing someone laughing out loud on the tube whilst reading it did I decide to buy it and I'm sure glad I did. I was completely charmed by Justin's dad and his straight talking attitude towards his kids. I found myself many times wishes I could have someone like him in my life, someone to tell it like it is, cut out all the bull and ultimately make me laugh. Justin's dad I salute you.

The book itself is broken down into chapters each telling a anecdote from Justin's childhood and later his teenage years. I must admit it did start to get a bit samey towards the end and the laugh out loud moments started to lessen but the end of the story is really quite poignant and I finished this book with a warm fuzzy feeling.

5.0 out of 5 stars The World Would Be a Worse place Without Him (But Under The same Roof?), 22 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Shit My Dad Says (Paperback)
A truly mesmeriseing wonderful read. I similarly find myself regularly cohabiting with my parents (if that's the appropriate word), and doing my laundry, which Justin was categorically told not to do. The months go by and for an underachieveing, unemployed 30 year old life can be depressing. But all the less so for reading this book which my mother by happenstance chose, and which is also somewhat amusing.

In fact it is very amusing. It is humane and uplifting and the more so for the extroverted, curmudgeonly but controlled sub-genius personality of Mr Halpern Snr.
Imagine Al Pacino turned up to the max, with the mouth of the foulest sailor combined with Quincy (actually a practitioner in nuclear medicine)and you are close to understanding the pastoral sensibilities of this man. An exemplum.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 17 Jun. 2010
Suzy Shipman "suzshi" (Mid Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a funny, real and honest account of Justin and his dad's relationship. I've followed his Twitter feed for some time and often find myself laughing outloud at the things his dad says. A lot of the time they're the kind of things you think but don't dare to say, but he just comes out with it and it's hilarious. I did wonder if there could be enough in the book to make it worth buying rather than just continuing to read the Twitter feed, but it's more than just a list of quotes - it's a memoir, a story, an autobiography woven around the quotes, and there's definitely much more to the book than you might expect. Clearly if you are offended by words such as those in the title of the book, this is not for you, and it's probably not the heights of literary genious, but it's a lot of fun :-)

Shit My Dad Says