5.0 out of 5 stars Honouring our Ancient Ancestors
What an incredible book, Manda has proven once more that she can lead a masterclass in the historical novel. It is a rip roaring, thunderous cavalry charge and the pages just seemed to turn faster and faster. I can't wait to complete the set and then re-read them all at a more sedate pace.

Reading other reviews I cannot help but feel as if at least one reader...
Published on 28 May 2007 by D. Stocker

1.0 out of 5 stars Boudica Dreaming the bull
I found this book really hard work and it didn't keep my interest,Ikept picking it up and putting it down eventually got to page 70 and gave it up as a bad job.I was very disappointed in the story line as I was so looking forward to reading this book unsure if it was me are the style of writing by the author but it just wasn't for me and Iwon't be trying anymore books by...
Published on 14 April 2012 by Dave Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Honouring our Ancient Ancestors, 28 May 2007
D. Stocker "Stormwolf" (Derbyshire, England former Corvii lands) - See all my reviews

Reading other reviews I cannot help but feel as if at least one reader was reading a different book to myself.

The author weaves`an intricate web mixing love and hate, war and tenuous peace, human relationships as well as the love and devotion between warrior and hounds and warriors and their horses.

The juxtaposition between warrior and dreamers is examined with care and we are shown the importance of animism in the nations psyche as the mix of spirit and energy and the worship of the prime Gods is brought to the fore.

As well as being an thoroughly entertaining read I found that I was vastly stimulated and able to escape from now as the pages absorbed me and took me back to the time of my ancestors.

To write like this Manda has surely been touched by the Gods and maybe there is an element of past lives seeping in to her in order to create the reality of what was.

This skilled storyteller comes across more like a modern foreign correspondent/journalist who saw and experienced what she has written of as opposed to a writer of historical fiction.

Manda...bless you for allowing me to enter albeit ever so briefly, the time and lands of my ancestors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immerse yourself in a forgotten world - amazing, 17 Jun 2008
A. V. R. Henderson (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Having just read all four of the Boudica books back-to-back I cannot recommend them highly enough. Scott has recreated in incredible detail an era of tribal British life which has been largely lost to history. Fictionalised but well-researched and based on what we do know as fact, the world of the warrior Boudica and her family and her people is vividly brought to life and gripped me all the way through. Spiritual, sensual, spectacular battles, brilliantly written, and a poignant evocation of how we used to live in harmony with our lands until the Romans came and stamped out our native culture. Well worth getting drawn into!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boudica - Dreaming The Bull, 16 Jun 2011
Nicola Clark "Bluesy2shoes" (London) - See all my reviews
I am about to start the thrid book in this truly amazing series. Of the two books I have read, both have kept me turning the page and staying up way past my bedtime! The books truly are brilliant and bring alive the time of Boudica whilst teaching a little bit of history at the same time.

I cannot recommend this series enough - a brilliant, brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly written in outstanding detail that overpowers all your senses - historical fiction at its best!, 7 Jun 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed all four novels from the Boudica series. It drew me in and captured me like no other. Manda's attention to detail throughout all of the books allowed me to completely immerse myself in the story, as though I was there. It gave me an insight to the lives of those at the time that I had never appreciated before. I felt like I could smell the smoke on the Great Round House, feel the texture of plants, feel the yearning for the characters' lovers or their exhaustion from battle. Most importantly for me, it allowed me to develop an overwhelming bond with the characters, a real sense if intense familiarity as if they were my family and friends... As though I was Breaca.

Manda's style of writing allows the reader to develop a real understanding of the characters' personalities and invites you to join them on their journey to discover themselves. You learn some things about yourself too. I found myself emotionally drawn into their lives, shedding more than a few tears along the way, as I journeyed on their roller coaster of emotions - guilt, remorse, regret, jealousy, love, etc.

The strength of the dreaming was incredible and refreshing to be open to the powers of their gods that were connected to the Earth, rather than the writings in a book.

Reading the Boudica's story was a great experience, I don't think I have felt so involved in a book since a child. It was great to find new heroes in my life and to gain a small insight into this time in Britain's history. The storyline was cleverly interwoven into the facts available, bringing the artefacts to life in a colourful way - so you could both learn and romanticise.

It was a sad moment when I finished the last page of the fourth book, not only because it was the end of the series, but because it was time to say goodbye to the characters. It was like saying goodbye to friends you have known all your life.

So a very large thanks to Manda, who should be truly commended for her outstanding writing. Simply superb.
Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Thought Out and Well Written, 16 May 2005
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I enjoyed this book tremendously, even better than the first one. Although Manda Scott does not stick to the conventional historical facts of Boudica the book loses nothing in the telling.
The storyline flows beautiful without any lulls which is a credit to the authors story telling ability. Although the books is quite large (almost 600 pages), I read it in quite a short space of time. This is a good indication of how the story grips you.
I would not wish to spoil the plot in any way for the reader. Suffice to say that Breaca (the Boudica) is continuing her fight against the might of the Roman Legions in Britain, ably assisted by her husband Caradoc, a British war chieftain.
One particular Roman officer, Julius Valerius is a thorn in their side. He is becoming increasingly renowned for his fighting prowess and his brutality against the British. However he is not all he seems to be. He holds a terrible secret that will affect the lives of all of them.
To tell any more would spoil the book for all potential readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringer of Victory, 30 May 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is the third book in what started out to be a trilogy, but happily for the reader the author has obviously had more material than she anticipated and has added another book after this one.. All the books are extremely well written and on a subject that is dear to my heart, the occupation of Britain by the Roman Legions.

The book is the continuing story of Breaca, the Boudica or Bringer of Victory. Set in AD 57, much of Britannia is under the yoke of the Roman legions for almost a decade and in the South the vassal states are paying costly tithes to the Emperor for the pleasure of living in their own lands.

Boudica has left the island of Mona to make her way back to the lands of the Eceni, where she and her warriors are needed the most. Unfortunately since she left them the Eceni, a once proud people have become a downtrodden race, no longer allowed to worship the old gods.

In Hibernia, Ban, Breaca's half brother is struggling to make peace with his past life. Provoked by the Romans he vows to sail to Britain to come face to face with the Roman forces . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written and Well Researched, 30 May 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

To tell any more would spoil the book for all potential readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystical, descriptive, wonderful, 7 Mar 2010
J. Cooper (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Book two in the series and as thoroughly enjoyable as the first!

A healthy interest in Roman Britain in the early years after the invasion and of mythology are needed to fully appreciate and enjoy this wonderful book. Due to the lack of accurate historical sources the author herself indicated at the end that she used the concept of dreaming and ghosts to flesh out the tale. I thought this worked remarkably well; it certainly sets this series apart from others in the genre and is a welcome respite from the "blood and guts" action thrillers that solely follow the legions.

The book focuses heavily on Caradoc and his immediate family leaving little room for Breaca. However, with two more books in left to go, I'm sure Breaca will feature more prominently from now on in. As in the first book, the use of creative descriptive writing sets the scene to an extent where you could almost be peering through a mystical looking glass.

Very original, highly captivating, thoroughly recommended!

Bring on book three.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boudica Dreaming The Bull, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Boudica: Dreaming The Bull: Boudica 2 (Kindle Edition)
I love these books in the Boudica series. Would appeal to anyone interested in British history. Manda Scott really brings it to life and you empathise with the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical Fiction, 17 Sep 2013
Mr. G. Johns "Master Mason 6407" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Thank you Manda Scott (aka M.C. Scott) - this book along with your other historical novels depict what Boudica and other historical characters may have been like. I am really looking forward to meeting Manda at the Historical Writers Festival in Harrogate, Yorkshire, next month (October 2013).