4.0 out of 5 stars small and practicle
Published on 19 Dec 2009 by Yuanda UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not accurate enough
Temperature readings are about two degrees too low, and the wind speed is lower than that given by a professional instrument. Overpriced, I would say. Disappointing. Maybe I'll give it another chance before I label it a mistaken purchase.
Published 20 months ago by M. Hayward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars small and practicle, 19 Dec 2009
I work for a comapny Called Yuanda UK, We are a cladding and curtain walling facade company, we do a lot of lifting with small cranes, this hand held anemometer is spot on for our needs, it ensures that we do not operate our cranes when it unsafe and also illegal to do so, this will ensure that we do not have accidents by lifting materials in winds that are too high, a reasonablly cheap way of staying safe when lifting materials in windy conditions,

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price., 1 Aug 2011
As a keen windsurfer I've been meaning to buy an anemometer for ages. Having looked at a number of them I think this was probably the cheapest. However it has all the functions you really need.

Once switched on you can toggle between mph, kmh, m/s and knots. Next you can toggle current speed, average speed and maximum speed. I always use knots and average speed as this seems the most relevant. Lastly you can toggle between wind speed and temperature (centrigrade or farenheit) if you need to. Oh yes, there's also a backlight that comes on if prompted and it includes a small soft, plastic case and landyard. Like most anemometers there's a beaufort scale on the edge of the display which I found surprisingly useful. Apart from this I don't think there's much more you would need from an anemometer so it has all the functions needed.

The downside to this device is that the display screen wasn't as clear as it could be. Almost as if the battery was going flat except it wasn't. It wasn't too much of a problem except that sometimes I had to angle the display to improve the contrast. Also it is a little fiddly toggling between the various settings.

In use it's perfectly good. I compared the readings with my friend's more expensive device and they seemed to read more or less the same so it must be reasonably accurate. The great thing about this device is that I don't need to guess the wind speed any more. I was amazed how far out I was in my guestimates. Last week I was out and thought it was blowing 15 - 16 knots only to find the device indicated 11 - 12. This helped me rig the correct size sail from the start which saved much frustration and re-rigging.

Overall a good budget anemometer that does the job for a competitive price. And if you're into windsurfing, kitesurfing, etc it is an absolute must for accurate rigging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wind Speed Meter, 21 April 2010
R. Hoy - See all my reviews
A great little gadget, that does exactly what it says..... Simple to use and easy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Anemometer, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Handheld Anemometer Wind Speed Meter With Lanyard & Carry Case (Electronics)
Handheld Anemometer Wind Speed Meter With Lanyard & Carry Case
This is a very useful gadget for sailors. We used ours to check the calibration on our yacht's wind instrumentation, and it took the guesswork out of the re-calibration after installing new instrumentation. Be aware that it is very sensitive to wind direction, and needs to be held in clear air, facing the wind, for accurate readings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, Lightweight and Easy to Use, 29 Nov 2012
Great value, Easy to use and lightweight. As a professional MEWP trainer, this is ideal to carry around and to demonstrate to trainees because of the range of readings at your fingertips. All our instructors now carry them, not only as a practical "on the job tool", but also as a very useful training aid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand held anemometer, 2 July 2010
Bought this as a present - it arrived promptly and was the correct item.The feedback from the recipient was that it is excellent with a number of useful functions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional but flimsey, 31 July 2011
I bought this for a work colleague who works in the Oil and Gas Industry with me. I already have an aneometer of a different make (Skywatch Meteos) for about the last 5 years and use it daily to test wind speeds for crane works and in winter to measure the wind chill exposure temperatures that the workforce are subjected to. It is rather "plasticy" and is difficult to self stand. There are better instruments out there and if I had to replace my skywatch then I would not chose this. My colleague is happy with it and it works fine. There are better aneometers out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windspeed, 4 Aug 2011
I bought the device for windsports,it meets the criteria needed for checking the windspeed in several different formats km/h,knotts,m/ph etc and it is possible to check direction by the physical moving fan. A fun piece of kit, good delivery, fast postage, well packaged and presented with attractive carry case ,excellent communications from firm. Recommended, and runs on small pill battery too,no USB connection.Gives temperature in dual format too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not accurate enough, 15 April 2013
M. Hayward "Dr Soil" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars very good and usefull, 15 Oct 2009
I've ordered this little gadget for my paragliding activities. It came very fast and it works just like it says on de advert, giving me an idea of how is the wind conditions in any time. It is just a shame that it doesn't come with mount strips or anything to attatch it to my wing harness, anyway I can always keep it hanged on my neck by the lanyard. Good gadget, cheap price...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›