5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautiful films I have ever seen
Published on 8 April 2010 by Mr. B. D. Hunt

3.0 out of 5 stars Heart Breaking
Okay so the reason I'm giving this film a 3 star review is because it is truly and utterly heart breaking. After the initial intro of all the characters, from then on you'll be crying throughout practically the whole thing. I definitely do not recommend this to anyone who cries easily at films.

Overall this is a good film and explains and shows everything well,...
Published 10 months ago by Jellyshoes

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautiful films I have ever seen, 8 April 2010
Mr. B. D. Hunt (UK) - See all my reviews
This film is based on a true story that happened in Japan in the late 1920s and 1930s and which was made into a Japanese film in the 1980s. Although transposed to late 20th/early 21st century Rhode Island, the transposition has beeen handled superbly and the tale has been altereed very little - the substance and underlying story remaining intact. It tells of a dog's utter devotion and love for a man that transcends everything and I can't imagine enyone with feelings of humanity and respect for animals not being moved by it. For animal lovers it is very moving and I freely admit that as a relatively hardened 50-something man I cried. The story is simple and without sub-plots or other complications and cinematic twists but it still held me almost spellbound by its beauty and poignancy; the simplicity helps the film tell its story and show what it is trying to say without distractions. Yes, it is a sad tale but ultimately it speaks of hope and love in a way that I found really beautiful. Maybe I'm just an old softy really but I can't imagine how anyone could fail to be moved by what I saw - those who have criticised it heavily must have been watching a different film.

5.0 out of 5 stars The saddest film I have ever seen, 10 May 2010
R. J. Reeves (UK) - See all my reviews
For the last hour of this film , I cried like a baby. It is truely a wonderfull film . I dont think it will ever leave me. I gave my dog an extra long cuddle that night , let me tell you . I cant recommend this film enough . Fabulous , but make sure you have a big box of tissues at hand , You will need them !

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see!!, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Hachi - A Dog's Tale [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film on the reccommendation from my friend. I recorded it and put off watching it thinking it would be another boring animal film. How wrong I was. It is a beautiful, beautiful story of a dog and his owner. I was a blubbering wreck by the end. It is just beautiful!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tear Jerker, 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Hachi - A Dog's Tale [DVD] (DVD)
Hachi a Dogs Tale is a true story about an Akita Inu who waited for his master at a train station.
Hachi was relesed in 2009 and stared Richard Gere and Joan Allen as the main human characters.
This film is one of those sad animal movies like Black Beauty, Eight Below and Fluke, were the animals don't talk but you feel their emotions. Unlike those animated dog films were the dogs talk and make fart jokes and at the end they get the girl and they return home. This movie had no homeward bound type of story which almost all dog films have, it was a story of loyalty.
Plot
Hachiko is a Akita Inu who as a pup gets lost at a train station and is found by Parker Wilson who is a collage professer. He take Hachi home and adopts him. A few years later Hachiko waits at the train station to greet his master and does this every day. Until one day while the professer was at work he suffers a heart attack and dies. Hachiko waits for his masters return but the professer never gets off the train. Hachiko finally realises that his master is dead but still waits hoping that one day he would see his beloved owner again. Years pass and Hahi becomes weak and old but he still waits. One night Hachiko goes to the train station for the last time. Hachi sees Parker come through the door of the train station and runs to him. Finally Hachikos waiting is over and they are reunited and their souls rise to heaven.
My Thoughts
Overall Hachi was a beautiful film that is reallly underated. I personally think it was a film not trying to be a epic adventure like Avatar or a Comedy like Shrek. It wanted to be a true story drama about a dog's loyalty towards his master. Because of this it made it different to many films we've seen in the past decade. I do love this movie and it is one of my favorites films of all time. I have yet to find a movie that can make me cry so much as this movie did. After Parker dies I was sobbing for the rest of the film and you can only imagine how much I wept when Hachiko gets reunited with Parker and its even more sadder when you know this is a true story. By the end of the film I was a complete wreck but I still love the movie for being so different. Grated its not for everyone, so if you just like adventure films or romantic comedys this probably not the film for you. But if you love all different types of movie like me or you love film like Eight Below this is definitely a great film for you.
Personally 10/10 :)

5.0 out of 5 stars hachi, 7 May 2011
This review is from: Hachi - A Dog's Tale [DVD] (DVD)
Thanks to amazon I received the film very quickly so didnt have to wait long to watch it.What a great tear jerking film, would even melt the hardest of peoples hearts. well worth buying. I cried from beginning to end, and to know it was based on a true story made it even more touching. 10/10 you must watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hatchi a dog's tail, 5 April 2011
Mr. C. M. Rees (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hachi - A Dog's Tale [DVD] (DVD)
Many people I know do not have sky tv, but having become addicted to this film based on a true sad story I thought I would buy the dvd, but after people had read the book that they borrowed off me Hatchi-Ko the samuri dog, they also borrowed the the film and they enjoyed it though everyone that has borrowed the book and and watched dvd have broken down into tears as this is a heart wrenching good story that is will bring the whole family to tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly beautiful, 4 Oct 2010
This review is from: Hachi - A Dog's Tale [DVD] (DVD)
Yes, it lacks 'drama' BUT for those like me, who are fed up of seeing the same old drivel thrown into every film made these days, it is such a blessing to be so magnificently simple yet so powerful.

A film for all ages, (Which is a rarity these days unless it's Disney, and even they are pushing it further to the edge now) so much to learn about loyalty and friendship.

Cannot praise this film enough. Oh yes, and HUGE box of tissue's is a MUST when watching lol =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Film, 16 Jun 2010
Having just watched this film, I had to write a review. It didn't seem to do too well in the cinema and I wasn't particularly looking forward to it, thinking it'd be a rubbish chick flick. How wrong I was. It was beautiful and I held back the tears until the last half hour when they came pouring out (2 hours later, I think there's more to come). An absolute must see for all audiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most touching movie I've seen in a long time, 1 May 2010
Helene "Borneo Girl" (The Hague, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
At first I was very skeptical when I saw that Richard Gere was staring in this movie about a dog. Since it was movie night, my friends and I watched it just for fun, since my friends are quite difficult to please when it comes to movies - they don't want horror, fantasy, action, etc. Anyway, I am digressing! At first the movie started slowly and going along quite blandly but eventually we were taken in by the cute dog called Hachiko. For me, the dog was the main star here. He is so adorable and cute. Toward the end, when Hachiko waited in vain for his owner to return home, we all were crying. The dog's devotion and loyalty was very touching. To tell you honestly, the acting of Richard Gere and Joan Allen were very forgettable but it was the main star dog Hachiko that made this movie a hit. Or maybe I just love animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are sitting down to watch this…forget tissues, ..., 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hachi - A Dog's Tale [DVD] (DVD)
If you are sitting down to watch this…forget tissues, forget toilet roll, have a pile of towels at the ready for what could be the biggest sob of your entire television watching life. My cushions, teacloths and towels are still drying out……..REALLY, the ultimate in SOBBERY.

Hachi - A Dog's Tale [DVD]
Hachi - A Dog's Tale [DVD] by Lasse Hallström (DVD - 2010)