5.0 out of 5 stars here puss puss
NOT THE ONE BY DREAMWORKS but hey still a good film for all ages of the family well made see it for yourslves
Published 5 months ago by davidhattermann

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID!
It's an easy mistake to make, choosing this DVD over the better know version from Dreamworks with only one letter difference in the title. We did in the supermarket as we tried to get round as quickly as possible! As a result I'd start off by giving credit to Amazon for the title here stating clearly that it is NOT the Dreamworks version.

If you're a fan of...
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by Ianski

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID!, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] (DVD)

If you're a fan of French (or what I think of as more "arty") movies you'll probably enjoy this. If so, I also recommend you watch "Dragon Hunters". If not - AVOID!

We got about 20 minutes in before we gave up.

- The French take on the story line is dreadful
- The animation is average (at best)
- The singing princess is a pain and the songs are average (and in French)
- The dubbing isn't great

My advice, don't waste £4*. In fact NEVER BUY!

* = price at time of review

2.0 out of 5 stars paw effort, 10 May 2012
Marcia "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] (DVD)
The animation on this film is reasonably good and it has a modern standard. However the film is not Great.
First of all the character Puss is not the same Puss in Boots character as in the Shrek films. This is dispite a Strong similarity in the artwork and costume displayed on the front cover.
In fact this production has nothing to do with the Shrek productions and it has to be said the animation is not as good as the Shrek animation.
The film has its own merits as an alternative interpretation of a fairytale telling of the story of Puss in Boots. And if it hadn't been for Shrek we would probably think this was a good movie.
But it isn't a movie classic.
Also I am not sure that this is suitable for very young viewers as some of the characters are a bit ugly and could be frightening.
The whole production seems to be European in style of animation. And I suspect this has been dubbed English.
Finally the story is not that exciting either and it drags on way too long.
Generally this DVD is a wasted opportunity. It appears to have strong possibilities but sags badly.
Don't waste your money on this. Go for the Shrek related Puss in Boots release instead.
Puss In Boots [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this thinking it was the real dream works thing. We turned it off after about 15min. Terrible animation and songs and story. A waste of money and sneaky marketing ploy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hit the back button and don't buy this rubbish!, 24 Mar 2013
FridgeHair (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] (DVD)
Oh my god! We thought this was the dreamworks version but it is not.

This is truly awful. Please don't waste your money and time.

3.0 out of 5 stars The True Story, 18 Oct 2014
Nope, it isn't Dreamworks, but the attempt to a tell a story is ok. I like the art and the music in the film, because they used classical pieces. However, the cat is annoying and the story doesn't always flow perfectly. I think children would like this film, but I think adults will be too annoyed about the flaws. So, three stars from me. If only the makers of this film would work out the story a bit better, it would be a great film.

4.0 out of 5 stars bought this long before the Dreamworks version was thought of, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] (DVD)
my daughter loves this and has watched over and over again...in fact she prefers it to the dreamworks one.

French take on the classic tale and we like the music. Not sure why everyone has given such poor reviews- except if they thought it was the 'other' version!

5.0 out of 5 stars here puss puss, 8 May 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars It's hurting my ears, 22 Feb 2013
S. L. Nicholson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] (DVD)
Like so many other people, I bought this in error. My eight year old son thought it was the movie he'd seen at the cinema (i.e. the Dreamworks version), and I had no idea it wasn't.

I'm watching it with my son now; I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stay in the room until the end. The horror began with the musical accompaniment to the opening scene: a very unpleasant version of Fuer Elise. In fact, I'm not as distressed by the animation or the dialogue (although I wonder if it's a little sexist and racist) as I am by the music. Lots of classical music, horribly executed; hokey incidental music; weird dancing numbers. Ugh. I think I could almost tolerate it, were it not for the constant assaults on my ears.

My son seems to be enjoying it; he says I shouldn't judge it by the music. I can't watch any more; I'm off to the kitchen to make him some popcorn. Any excuse would do, really.

3.0 out of 5 stars seriously not that bad!, 11 Aug 2010
mummy spoon (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly I don't think this film claims to be related to shrek in any way, Puss in boots is a very old story which was around long before shrek was.
secondly the film itself really wasn't that bad, the animation was ok and the story acceptable , it was obviously dubbed but this has been done quite well, My kids liked it and I'm sure most will, I thought it was pretty good to, not in the league of shrek but ok none the less.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh la la! French style animation has become a family favourite!, 1 Sep 2014
Ms. Verity L. Gough "Veegee" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] (DVD)
Like most of the other reviewers, I bought this after my kids loved the Shrek character of Puss in Boots and I totally thought it was the Dreamworks version, within the first minute, we realised it wasn't! It's a French animation and while the dubbing isn't bad, it definitely feels different. The girls were a bit scared of the ogre character at first - it's pretty freaky - but now they really love the film and hum along to the tunes! It's based on the original French fairytale by Charles Perrault so actually it's quite nice to not have the Hollywood-ised version of a classic. I give it 3.5 stars - buy if you want an alternative to the usual Disney/Dreamworks etc.

Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD]
Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD] by Macha Makeieff (DVD - 2010)