Size: Small|Colour Name: Black/HighVis|Change
Price:£23.96+ Free shipping

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 December 2011
I was thinking the other day, this garment must represent about the best value for money I have ever spent. They are totally reliable for the purpose and just keep on going. I have two long sleeved and one short. I've had them about ten years. They have been on countless camping trips, fishing, snowboarding and hiking expeditions. When its cold in the winter I just wear them day to day under ordinary clothes for extra insulation. I've been doing a lot of winter running lately. They go on under a normal running top and a windproof shell and its perfect even in the Scottish December. They always keep me warm, dry and comfortable. After a decade they show no signs of wear other than the lettering fading on the washing label. They look exactly like they did when I bought them despite being washed at all sorts of temperatures with all sorts of other items. I can't think of anything else I have ever bought from curtains to a car that has kept doing the business for ten years with no signs of giving up. No bobbling, no loose seams. Its extraordinary. And they are pretty cheap.

There are thicker and warmer base layers available from HH and other manufacturers incorporating marino wool, silk and all sorts of luxury. But for me the point is flexibility. I'd rather wear more fine layers and remain flexible as to what I can take on and off. There is nothing to these but they give you that layer of extra insulation that covers most eventualities, and when it doesn't you can wear two.

Bloody marvellous base layer. So good you probably won't even realise as you never think about them. They are just always there doing what you bought them for.
on 3 January 2011
I've taken up cycling, and the magazines talk about technical clothing and using different layers, including a base layer. I was struggling to get my head round what a base layer was - but I went and bought this top anyway. Effectively it is a thin t-shirt/vest. It's very comfortable, very well fitting with seams designed not to irritate or annoy you whilst being active. The most impressive thing though is what is known as the 'wicking' ability. This means that if you sweat the sweat doesn't stay close to your skin leaving you damp and uncomfortable. What it does instead is transport it to the outside of the garment, where it can evaporate. There are different grades for use in different conditions. The 'dry' ones are perhaps the most versatile, and they are rated for use from -15 C to +15 C. The top is designed to be used as a base layer, but in warmer conditions it wouldn't look out of place and would be perfectly possile to wear it on its own as a t-shirt.

Now the most important thing about this is that it actually works. A couple of days ago I did a 32 mile bike run in temperatures just below zero and wore this top with a thin cycling top and a thin windproof jacket. This combination kept me dry and comfortable and I was perfectly warm.

Getting out on the bike has been a real thought because of the weather, and I have been tending to opt out and go to the gym instead. I also bought the 'dry' pants so with the two of these combined I'll definitely increase my cold weather cycling more than I would have done through the winter.

At the moment because of my recent experiences I can't rate this combination highly enough.
55 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2010
Not much to say that hasn't been said before, I have several of these and use them for mountain biking, rock climbing, mountaineering, running, camping, working outdoors over winter - generally anytime I am likely to build up a sweat! The wicking action is very effective, keeping you dry, and they are incredibly fast drying, light weight and pack away in the smallest of places so great for camping, trekking etc

Thoroughly recommended - only advice is do not dry in a tumble dryer (my wife did and they shrink/shrivle/melt!)
on 19 February 2010
Bought this for a baselayering during cold weather activities and sweaty sports conditions. It's a really technical fabric allowing u to concentrate on the thing u do regardless of the environmental situations, under the term that u use it correctly in a layer system.
on 18 December 2009
I've used both an older version Helly and now this more recent version (Lifa). As a base layer the old version was great, had a cotton feel, wicked well and did the job.
This more recent version has a very different feel to it, I guess best described as a nylon feel. This in its self is not an issue, but having used a few times now as a base layer for winter runs I have to report sore nipples are the outcome from moderate 50 minute runs every time...and that is not what I want or expect from Helly.
I've run in basic cotton t-shirts as well as Nike running tops and never had sore nipples - the only exception being when I got soaked in a downpour on a very long run.
I'm baffled that a brand such as Helly, with a heritage of performance base layer for athletes has produced a product that is so abrasive - was it thoroughly tested?? Or is this just effecting me??
Who know's, but this is what happened and it's annoyed me so much that I felt compelled to review it.
44 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2010
I wore two of these under my ski jacket and it kept me warm and dry down to -17'C. No sweat.
The best reasonably priced base-layer I have tried so far.
Delivery packet did not require me to be at home to sign for it either, which is always a bonus.
on 8 January 2012
This is a good base layer for sporting activities from +5 to -1. If you require a base layer that is warmer on the coldest of days then buy the Helly Hansen Lifa Warm. I've always bought Helly Hansen base layer's and they have all been very good. Ideal for cycling, skiing, walking, mountain climbing, running etc.
on 18 October 2011
This is my third HH Lifa Dry Stripe Crew and I am just as impressed with this as I was with the others. It is fine as a single layer in summer and works well with additional layers in winter. It is comfortable to wear without any feeling of constriction. Wash at low temperature. Shop around for a good price
on 21 February 2014
After reading so many positive reviews I had to give this a go for the money (£15)
I love being outdoors but the cold just makes me feel ill so I take my layering quite seriously- or so I thought.
It doesn't matter if you are active or if you work in a cold environment, put this on and you are comfortable, and you stay comfortable!

I am 5'11" and reasonably slim with a 43" chest and the large fits perfectly but not skin tight tight thankfully.
I'm wearing mine at work as my office is freezing, yesterday I wanted to put my coat on over my suit, today The coat and jacket are off!
I will do an update after a few washes but the quality seems very good.
Cotswold Outdoor have an offer on a twin pack at £40 which seems a bargain until you factor in the postage (around £6)
Anyway, I'm off to order some more.
UPDATE 10/03/2014;
Do you know when you see a kid in a spiderman suit that they wont take off? Well thats me and Helly Hansen.
I watched a game of football in a wide-open and very windy space a couple of weeks ago,it was around 5-6 degrees and apparently 'well wrapped up' people were leaving before half time. I was only wearing a berghaus fleece over my Helly but I was as warm as toast. I wear it on my daily walk, take it off and wash it when back at home, it's almost dry enough to wear straight from the washing machine, and after half a dozen washes it still looks brand new. It is very comfortable, not too tight fitting, warm and dry. I have now ordered the tee shirt to stop the missus calling me spiderman.
on 12 October 2012
I ordered 2 of these. A small in blue, and a medium in black. The black, medium one was actually smaller and tighter than the small sized blue one! Anyhow, still a great item when I got one that fitted correctly.