on 6 September 2008
Stephanie Pearl McPhee's great gift as a writer is the way that she can write in a way that touches on both our humanity and our foolishness, and in a sense the fact that this is related to knitting is neither here nor there. But she is a knitter, and so this book is a delight for those of us who do the whole sticks-and-string thing too.
This little book is a series of vignettes about what Stephanie has mearned from knitting, and it's beautifully written and thought out. Although the Yarn Harlot likes to give the impression of being a bit of a scatterbrained ball of hopelessness, this book testifies to her thoughtfulness and honesty.
This is a perfect gift for a knitter. It reminds us that what we are doing is so much more than producing a pair of socks.
on 16 July 2010
This book had me in stitches, even though I'm a relatively new knitter (finding the joys of knitting the same side twice) it was entertaining, portable and ended up giving me more enthusiasm to knit more, try new things and shock horror finish things too. I know this might sound a lot from a little book but for me it was inspirational and left me wanting to read the other books The Yarn Harlot has written :)
on 7 January 2010
This book is hilarious, and if you're a knitter already, it will ring all too true with you. I've found myself laughing out loud at her wit, and it makes you feel slightly more sane about pursuing what is all too often seen as an eccentric hobby. No information about knitting itself, but it's a lovely gift book for the knitter in your life.
on 9 July 2009
The giggle factor kicked in as soon as I opened this lovely little book. Stephanie is a true knitting addict - and must have been sitting on my shoulder when she wrote this! I was sitting on the train when I read this and, as ever when you are knitting or doing knitting related stuff while travelling, it invokes conversation. Read it!
on 4 February 2013
This is the 4th book of the yarn harlots I have and it didn't disappoint. Yes there are some repeats of previous ideas but they are added to. Warning, don't read any of her books in public unless you don't mind people thinking you're nuts 'cos you're laughing out loud. I have often been reduced to tears and just can't stop reading out bits to my poor long suffering ( and totally uninterested husband) If you're a newbie knitter or an 'old hand' you'll find lots to laugh at and also good information. If you have a knitter friend - there's the christmas or birthday present sorted.
on 15 May 2015
- writing greatly appreciated by the knitter I bought it for
- to be recommended as a present to any serious knitter (or anyone becoming a serious knitter) who also has a sense of humour!

PS I offered to the same person 2 more books from same author:
- Yarn Harlot
- At knit's end
on 14 July 2013
I love the Yarn Harlot's books - for a start they make me feel normal. The only reason this has 4 stars instead of 5 is that I felt the book - however amusing - was similar to others she has published. But I enjoyed it anyway and I'm glad I got it.
on 7 January 2013
Bought as a stocking filler for my wife. (always knitting something) She enjoyed a previous similar themed book by the same author, so I'm basing my rating on the laughter she got from that one.
Delivery was prompt. So have no complaints.
on 22 February 2012
If you are a knitter than you must read this book. I haven't laughed so much in a long time. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee seems to have caught the personality of an addictive knitter perfectly. I empathised with everything she said. Get it!
on 7 April 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed it- a short but entertaining & thought provoking read. I insisted on reading bits out, but my audience enjoyed reading it despite having heard a lot of it being read out.
A great gift for knitters