on 19 February 2013
I bought the Opteka X-Grip as I had to do some outdoor, night time filming and one of the shots required a steady tracking pan along a queue of people. As the camera I use (A Panasonic X900M Full HD 1920 x 1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder with Built-In Viewfinder - Black (3MOS Sensor, 23x Intelligent Zoom, 32GB Built-in Flash, SD Card Recording, Leica Dicomar Lens and Manual Control Ring) 3.5 inch LCD has great image stabilisation, I used this grip to hold the light.

The resulting shot was fantastic, I ended up leaving the grip on for the remainder of the night and now use it almost everywhere.

I didn't realise that you are still able to use the cameras standard side grip with this fitted, you can even add a bottom support handle or counter balance if you wish.

In summary then, a superb grip that can help give fantastic results. The only caveat is that this is probably not ideal for heavy SLR cameras. I've not tried my EOS body with it, but I suspect it would be a little to flimsy for a weighty camera like that.

Five stars!
on 31 January 2013
I give this a 4 star, mainly because it's plastic, and although strong, it has a bit of wobble when loaded. This I mean with a camcorder it is fine, with a mic, which goes on the side of the cam it's fine, but when you put the light on the top it then becomes slightly wobbly - not a great deal though, but if metal it would be stiffer.

Don't get me wrong, for the money it's really good, as I'm sure the others that seem to be built in exactly the same way but with different names. For anyone who does not want to pay out a fortune, yet want to have all the gear in one hand, this does the job. I find it very handy to have the the setup sat on my table ready to pick up and just shoot, it's very comfy and saves a lot of time faffing about.

Nice spongy handle, rubber on the feet, the hot shoes are adjustable and you can fit it all onto a tripod as well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

review image review image review image
on 26 January 2011
I do alot of skateboarding with my mates and when we started to get better we filmed a bit of it. As time goes on and we get more keen, i decided to invest in some new equipment. I bought a new camera (Fujifilm Finepix HS10) but i needed a handle for low angle shots. This handle is amazing! Even when i run with it in my hand alongside my skating mates it is still incredibly steady. My camera is quite heavy so maybe that helps, but never the less it is awesome and i truly recommend it!
55 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 March 2011
This is no good for walking/moving your self with camera, the handle as a another reviewer has pointed out, is to flexible and bounces about. It is good for getting low angle shots or pans, and will be useful for that, but don't expect a stedi-cam type result from this it's not even close. I will be posting my test walk with this on youtube, can't seem to post video reviews here.

Also, had to add a 2KG divers weight to the bottom, to give it some mass, with camera alone, it's far too light. 2.5 stars really, as it's fairly cheap, don't expect too much though.
on 7 May 2014
Reviewers that mark this down because it doesn't steady your filming whilst walking are being a little unfair. It's a "grip", not a camera steady. Those things, the proper ones, cost £100's. And even the cheap ones are 3 times the price of this grip.

I use this with the Canon M52 camcorder and the Rode Videomic attached to the top hot-shoe (both, in my opinion, fit well on the grip). I used it the other day for the first time to film an event in my home town. I found it so much easier to film with this setup than filming with the camcorder alone. At one point I had to lean over a railing to get the shot I needed. Without this grip, the shot would have been so much more difficult to get, and I would probably have had to compromise. Also, I would of been stuck using the camcorders internal mic, or holding the Rode with my other hand, which would have been awkward. I still use Powered IS on the camera for making handheld steady, and I also have a bunch of batteries to aid this. :-)

I have quite a light camera. If you have something heavier and/or larger, you'd best read reviews from people who also have heavy cameras. It does have a little flex (very slight), and if you plan to use it with an SLR and large lens, you may find it flexes too much, or becomes unbalanced with a long/heavy lens.

Overall, for my needs, this works perfectly.
on 6 July 2011
I bought one of these grips some months ago and they are a great idea. But why on Earth has it been made out of plastic and not aluminium? Once a camcorder is attached the whole thing flexes all over the place. It's great idea that hasn't been thought through properly. Opteka, make one from ally and I'd gladly buy another one!
on 15 February 2016
Can be a bit fiddly to put on, but i quickly found the easiest and quickest way. Works really well and gives excellent stability. I know what a previous reviewer means about it being a bit light and that being made from metal would give even better stability, but as a woman, i'm happy for it to be light and truly dont think this detracts from the way it handles. Really pleased and agree with several other reviewers, that i will probably keep in on my camera, as i cant imagine now going out and about without it. Great buy, can definitely recommend it.
on 17 August 2015
A pretty good product, not exactly pro gear, but offers a neat way of using your camera for shooting video. It's not exactly the most stable device though - the cheap plastic used in construction does mean there's a little wobbly lag between your movement and that of a heavier camera coming along for the ride. But as a device for the home user it's more than adequate.
on 21 February 2016
Can be a bit fiddly to put on, but I quickly found the easiest and quickest way. This product works really well and gives excellent stability. It its a bit light but this is due to it being plastic, but for low down, shots with ease, i'm happy for it to be light and truly dont think this detracts from the way it handles. Really pleased with the product I cant imagine now going out and about without it. Great buy, can definitely recommend it.
on 7 April 2015
This would be brilliant if it was an inch or so bigger between the bottom bracket and the handle I wanted to attach my Canon 60d and an external microphone and inch or so would have made the difference otherwise a great product