5.0 out of 5 stars The title really sums it up
Published on 21 Jun 2009 by A.K

2.0 out of 5 stars Well....
Published on 12 April 2011 by Kris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Well...., 12 April 2011
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
I enjoy reading books like this, and I have read quite a few. Allan Hall seems to have written a book based on rumours and interviews with people who knew Elisabeth as a 17 year old girl. His perspective also seems based on mediareports and unofficial states from policemen knowing the case. All together, this made the book way to commercial in my regards, and I found myself skimming through some of the pages. I hope Elisabeth Fritzl one day will find the courage to write her side of the story, like Natascha Kampusch did, because this book did not meet my expectations at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 8 Aug 2010
Jenni (Malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
This was interesting, but did not contain as much as I had hoped. Goes over the same thing several times...

5.0 out of 5 stars The title really sums it up, 21 Jun 2009
A.K (UK, Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
What complete monster who has destroyed innocent lives. i dont know how elizabeth survived all those years, when i think about it she was in there for longer than my life so far, totally shocking. the book uses well structured information from people who knew the Fritzl family, so the information used i feel is as accurate as we can get. It was nice to read the the last few chapters especially about the little boy who is fascinated by the moon and rain. we take these things for granted, just make you think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incest monster Fritzl laid bare, 10 Nov 2008
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
Monster is a wonderfully crafted book that gives you all you want - an in-depth understanding of this horrific story, in a digestible and creative form from one of the great British journalists of our time.

I have flicked through the other books on Fritzl and Allan Hall - the Daily Mail's correspondent for Austria and Germany - wins hands down. He got exclusive interviews with the key people in the case.

His nuanced and skilled writing really brings this terrible story to life and helps you understand not just the practical detail but the human suffering that Elizabeth and her children have endured.

5.0 out of 5 stars monstrously good!, 10 Nov 2008
Pamela Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
As an afficianado of true crime this has to be a must-buy, if only for the insights into Fritzl's twisted mind. Plus there are lots of nail-biting quotes from friends and neighbours who could have stopped the madness but failed to join up the dots. Hall has done a thorough research job in a short time to produce a book that is praiseworthy of his victims without being intrusive. Compared to the Cawthorne work (a cuttings job from start to finish) it is superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Monster - Fritzl, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
As said in a previous review this one is definitely not for the faint hearted. It's difficult not to wonder why Fritzl's family and neighbours did not see what was happening, 24 years is a long time to hold four people prisoners and get away with it. Fritzl has managed to lead a full live doing what he pleases. Its difficult not to feel a little anger at Fritzl's wife, but I think shes probably suffered enough now that she's realised what was going on. It seems to me that if Fritzl had not taken Elisabeth and her daughter out, he would have gotten away with holding the family for as long as he wanted.

Hall does not paint a very pretty picture of Austria. Well written and worth a read if your into true crime.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BOOK, 19 Mar 2009
ROSIE (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
I finished this book on Sunday last and still feel stunned. I just cant believe how an 18 year old girl, little more than a child, endured 24 years, of rape and mental torture at the hands of her father, whilst giving birth to 7 children fathered by him, whilst entombed underground in a dungeon with no windows, scant air supply and little in the way of comfort.

He truly is a modern day monster, a convicted rapist who fooled, neighbours friends, social services and police for years.

This is a well written book, that tells a truly horrific story, without becoming gratuitious. It made me angry, sad and made me cry

Not for the faint hearted. But i thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars DOESN'T BEAR THINKING ABOUT, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
I really did not want to read this book - afraid of what I would read in all its shocking detail. I wont say "I enjoyed" reading the book as this would sound so inappropriate. What I will say is that it was an excellent written book and well researched by the author. Why oh why did nobody report these strange goings on. I suspect his wife was a very inadequate person not to have realised something was amiss.

Cannot believe that a human being could do this to anybody, let alone his own flesh and blood. The agonies this poor girl experienced are too shocking to try and imagine and I wonder if she will ever get over such an ordeal. Hopefully the prognosis for her children will be better.

Maybe this book should be read by any "stroppy" teenagers who moan that life is not fair or whatever, for them to appreciate just how good life really is for most of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 28 Jun 2009
J. WALKER (YORKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
Well written, well researched book. Highly Recommended.

This book is challenging reading at times due to the very sad lives Elizabeth and her children suffered over so many years.

It is absolutely unbelievable that Elizabeth's mother did not know what was going on in the soundproof cellar beneath her and did not look for Elizabeth when her three of her children turned up on her doorstep. UNBELIEVABLE.

BUY THIS!

5.0 out of 5 stars HORRID MAN, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Monster (Kindle Edition)
What a sick, sick man! This book exposes the true horror of what this man put his family through. He is still in denial as he thinks himself as a good father!!! Very well written using facts rather than letting emotions get in the way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›