5.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday read!
Published on 8 July 2010 by Faye

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite an enjoyable read...
...if you take it as it is, a light-hearted novel following the quite predictable patterns of chick-lit books. However, if you're single and you've just moved to London (like me) this is definitely a good choice for journeys on the Tube!
Published on 3 Oct 2010 by TrenchCoatGirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday read!, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
I bought this book whilst waiting for a train at Euston to return from London to Manchester - as a northerner, I can certainly relate to Hannah's "ex-pat" perspective in The Big Smoke! I was looking for a lighthearted read for the journey home and this fit the bill perfectly. The writing is sharp and intelligent, keeping you hooked from the very beginning with none of the cliched plotlines. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a clever holiday read offering more than your standard chick lit. Hope to hear more of Hannah's adventures in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable!, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Single in the City (Kindle Edition)
I read this in one sitting. It was funny and I really enjoyed seeing the UK culture through the eyes of an American. Funny and heart-warming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite an enjoyable read..., 3 Oct 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh out loud fun fest!, 11 Aug 2010
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
I took Single in the City to a spa with me and when I started reading it, I started to wish I hadn't. Brought it with me, that is, not started reading it. Reason being, just a few short pages, possibly even paragraphs, into the book and I was laughing. Out loud a couple of times. I quickly started to get funny looks from some of the patrons of the establishment. I ignored them and carried on reading, careful to bite my lip when I got to some more funny bits, of which there were plenty.

The premise of the book is that Hannah, a 26 year old American has, on a whim, decided to move to London. Fed up of her life in the States, she moved to England's capital city in search of her dream man, dream job and dream friends. After some initial shocks, like the traffic being on the wrong side of the road, Hannah starts to settle in. She meets a man, who lands her a job at his company, and she makes friends.

Trouble is, the man is married, the job is crap and her boss is a bitch. Luckily, the friends hold out and soon Hannah is reeling from one scrape to another. After securing employment, she moves into a shared house with three Australians - the male variety of which spend a great deal of time wandering around half naked. Hannah's not averse to the view, but sadly she just doesn't like the guys in that way. She's too busy mooning over Mr. Married, whilst trying out speed-dating, posh totty and more, though not all at the same time, of course.

This book is a breeze to read, damn funny and you won't want to put it down until you're finished. And when I was, my first thoughts were "She'd better be writing a sequel!" Research concludes that Michele is, in fact, writing a sequel so I can heave a sigh of relief and look forward to my next installment of hilarity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
After being accidently followed by Michele Gorman on Twitter I decided it must be a sign and got Single in the City. I had no idea what to expect but what a lovely surprise! Really enjoyed it. Some of the situations Hannah gets herself into made me laugh out loud! Can't wait to read the next installment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
I got this book for my American friend, who lives in Europe since the book is about that. I haven't read it myself but my friend told me it was " a very enjoyable read" and that she " read it in one sitting". So I was quite pleased to hear that and by that I would definitely recommend that book.

4.0 out of 5 stars High flying!, 25 Mar 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
We join the book when Hannah has just arrived in the UK, and I immediately liked her character. She's quite a funny girl, and you can sense her confusion about her new country straight away. The funniest thing definitely has to be the language barrier between the American girl and her new British friends. Hannah has no idea at the double meaning of words over here, and also words she's never heard of so tends to get herself into a bit of a pickle. In case you don't understand why Hannah doesn't understand certain words or terms, Michele has created a footnote at the bottom of the relevant pages telling us a bit about the difference in UK/US interpretations.. this is a good idea because it helps you to understand the humour a bit more, but I have to say it did annoy me after a while!

I was worried that this book was just going to be a love story - girls meets boy, they fall in love, marry and live in the UK happily ever after. However, Michele Gorman cleverly steers the book away from a predictable storyline with the introduction of some other great characters that bring a lot to the book. I loved the character of Stacy, Hannah's best friend in the US and the phone conversations between the two of them were very amusing in parts! Things aren't straight forward for Hannah by any means, but she does seem to fall on her feet with certain things a bit, but I guess this is fiction at the end of the day so we can't expect it all to be completely believable! It's Hannah's relationships with the other characters that really brought the book to life for me, and I enjoyed seeing how these developed throughout the book.

It's funny to read how highly people of London who aren't from the UK. Whenever I visit, I always appreciate the fantastic atmosphere and beautiful architecture, but it seems that to Americans, and probably other countries too, London is a special place, full of the latest fashion, the best people and is simply the place to be. Gorman uses Hannah well to portray the city of London to her reader, allowing us a different view of the city to what us UK natives would usually hold, and it's quite refreshing. Hannah clearly loves the city, and this really comes across in Gorman's writing, leading me to think she herself is quite fond of London too!

This book is a nice light-hearted summer read, and one I'd definitely recommend. I really enjoyed the writing style and found it very easy to get into, I am sure Gorman will do very well if her future books are written as well as this. There aren't too many characters to play with, yet enough to keep our interest and pull good storylines out of. The main character Hannah is the perfect heroine for the book, and I loved seeing London through her eyes, it was a really fun journey and I really did care about her by the end. It's a fun story that shows the life of an American crossing the pond, and one I'm sure will do very well throughout the summer. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
I read this book on a trip to Zurich and it was laugh out loud funny in places with a great twist at the end. I would definitely recommend this book on a day when you need a bit of escapism without wanting to concentrate too hard. Can't wait to see what Hannah gets up to next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Single in the City, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
Single in the City by Michele Gorman is a lot of fun! It is not an overly long book but there is so much packed into it, you don't want to put it down.
Hannah is a fantastic character, when she sets her heart on something, she completely goes for it, be that a new job, new boyfriend or even new shoes. I loved seeing England and London in particular through Hannah's American eyes. We have so many funny little ways that we don't think twice about but it is very entertaining to see how strange some of them must be to others.
Michele Gorman's writing is extremely witty, Hannah ends up in so many comical situations, either whilst trying to please her evil boss or on yet another disastorous date. It's been a while since a book has made me laugh out loud on so many occassions.
Single in the City is great book, I'm not sure if the author is planning on writing a sequel but Hannah is the kind of character who could have many more adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab and funny read, 7 Nov 2010
T. Murray (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
Single in the City is a funny and light-hearted look at life in London from a stranger's point of view. At first, Hannah is all at sea when she makes the move from US to UK but it's not long before she finds her feet and they're next to someone else's all too quickly as she searches for love. I loved Hannah's bewilderment at the British way of life and the foot-notes explaining the American references were a delight. I also liked that my prediction about who she would end up with was completely wrong.

I laughed out loud all the way through and can recommend Single in the City to anyone who likes their heroines funny and feisty; it's the perfect antidote to chilly autumn evenings!

Single in the City