5.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday read!
Published on 8 July 2010 by Faye

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite an enjoyable read...
...if you take it as it is, a light-hearted novel following the quite predictable patterns of chick-lit books. However, if you're single and you've just moved to London (like me) this is definitely a good choice for journeys on the Tube!
Published on 3 Oct. 2010 by TrenchCoatGirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday read!, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
I bought this book whilst waiting for a train at Euston to return from London to Manchester - as a northerner, I can certainly relate to Hannah's "ex-pat" perspective in The Big Smoke! I was looking for a lighthearted read for the journey home and this fit the bill perfectly. The writing is sharp and intelligent, keeping you hooked from the very beginning with none of the cliched plotlines. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a clever holiday read offering more than your standard chick lit. Hope to hear more of Hannah's adventures in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh out loud fun fest!, 11 Aug. 2010
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
I took Single in the City to a spa with me and when I started reading it, I started to wish I hadn't. Brought it with me, that is, not started reading it. Reason being, just a few short pages, possibly even paragraphs, into the book and I was laughing. Out loud a couple of times. I quickly started to get funny looks from some of the patrons of the establishment. I ignored them and carried on reading, careful to bite my lip when I got to some more funny bits, of which there were plenty.

The premise of the book is that Hannah, a 26 year old American has, on a whim, decided to move to London. Fed up of her life in the States, she moved to England's capital city in search of her dream man, dream job and dream friends. After some initial shocks, like the traffic being on the wrong side of the road, Hannah starts to settle in. She meets a man, who lands her a job at his company, and she makes friends.

Trouble is, the man is married, the job is crap and her boss is a bitch. Luckily, the friends hold out and soon Hannah is reeling from one scrape to another. After securing employment, she moves into a shared house with three Australians - the male variety of which spend a great deal of time wandering around half naked. Hannah's not averse to the view, but sadly she just doesn't like the guys in that way. She's too busy mooning over Mr. Married, whilst trying out speed-dating, posh totty and more, though not all at the same time, of course.

This book is a breeze to read, damn funny and you won't want to put it down until you're finished. And when I was, my first thoughts were "She'd better be writing a sequel!" Research concludes that Michele is, in fact, writing a sequel so I can heave a sigh of relief and look forward to my next installment of hilarity.

4.0 out of 5 stars High flying!, 25 Mar. 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
We join the book when Hannah has just arrived in the UK, and I immediately liked her character. She's quite a funny girl, and you can sense her confusion about her new country straight away. The funniest thing definitely has to be the language barrier between the American girl and her new British friends. Hannah has no idea at the double meaning of words over here, and also words she's never heard of so tends to get herself into a bit of a pickle. In case you don't understand why Hannah doesn't understand certain words or terms, Michele has created a footnote at the bottom of the relevant pages telling us a bit about the difference in UK/US interpretations.. this is a good idea because it helps you to understand the humour a bit more, but I have to say it did annoy me after a while!

I was worried that this book was just going to be a love story - girls meets boy, they fall in love, marry and live in the UK happily ever after. However, Michele Gorman cleverly steers the book away from a predictable storyline with the introduction of some other great characters that bring a lot to the book. I loved the character of Stacy, Hannah's best friend in the US and the phone conversations between the two of them were very amusing in parts! Things aren't straight forward for Hannah by any means, but she does seem to fall on her feet with certain things a bit, but I guess this is fiction at the end of the day so we can't expect it all to be completely believable! It's Hannah's relationships with the other characters that really brought the book to life for me, and I enjoyed seeing how these developed throughout the book.

It's funny to read how highly people of London who aren't from the UK. Whenever I visit, I always appreciate the fantastic atmosphere and beautiful architecture, but it seems that to Americans, and probably other countries too, London is a special place, full of the latest fashion, the best people and is simply the place to be. Gorman uses Hannah well to portray the city of London to her reader, allowing us a different view of the city to what us UK natives would usually hold, and it's quite refreshing. Hannah clearly loves the city, and this really comes across in Gorman's writing, leading me to think she herself is quite fond of London too!

This book is a nice light-hearted summer read, and one I'd definitely recommend. I really enjoyed the writing style and found it very easy to get into, I am sure Gorman will do very well if her future books are written as well as this. There aren't too many characters to play with, yet enough to keep our interest and pull good storylines out of. The main character Hannah is the perfect heroine for the book, and I loved seeing London through her eyes, it was a really fun journey and I really did care about her by the end. It's a fun story that shows the life of an American crossing the pond, and one I'm sure will do very well throughout the summer. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable!, 29 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Single in the City (Single in the City Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read this in one sitting. It was funny and I really enjoyed seeing the UK culture through the eyes of an American. Funny and heart-warming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Single in the City, 23 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
Single in the City by Michele Gorman is a lot of fun! It is not an overly long book but there is so much packed into it, you don't want to put it down.
Hannah is a fantastic character, when she sets her heart on something, she completely goes for it, be that a new job, new boyfriend or even new shoes. I loved seeing England and London in particular through Hannah's American eyes. We have so many funny little ways that we don't think twice about but it is very entertaining to see how strange some of them must be to others.
Michele Gorman's writing is extremely witty, Hannah ends up in so many comical situations, either whilst trying to please her evil boss or on yet another disastorous date. It's been a while since a book has made me laugh out loud on so many occassions.
Single in the City is great book, I'm not sure if the author is planning on writing a sequel but Hannah is the kind of character who could have many more adventures.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite an enjoyable read..., 3 Oct. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars great book with a warm ending, 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
What a great gem of a chick lit Single in the City is! I've had this book on my wishlist for yonks and I finally got hold of a copy of it when Michele offered Misfortune Cookie to myself for review (and I absolutely have to read in order) and I am so glad I finally got around to reading it!

Single in the City is such a delightful read. Written in a fun and very comical style, vaguely reminiscent of the likes of Kinsella herself, I found it entirely unputdownable as I laughed from one of Hannah's exploits to the next. My favourite absolutely had to be the cultural discovery of British men generally being uncircumcised, which I honestly didn't realise was a thing in America. I was caught in the midst of a good old guffaw several times while reading, that one in particular being cause for running in to tell my boyfriend all about it.

As Hannah (great name by the way) comes over to London and fumbles her way through the unexpectedly different culture, we get the privilege of seeing her first observations of Londoners through her eyes. As a Brit myself, I already knew many of the things Hannah is learning throughout the novel so it was a lot of fun to gauge the reactions of somebody who isn't at all used to British norms. From something as simple as ordering a sandwich:

"Salad?"
I don't see any salads. "No, no salad."
He closes the sandwich and starts wrapping it.
"Uh, can I please have some tomatoes?"
The lady next to me is staring at me like tomato is a dirty word.
"You didn't want salad."
"That's right, no salad. I want tomatoes."

To the idea of liquid lunches and London's public transport system. All the while, Michele details the Americanisms for us Brits in the form of footnotes and boy do I love them. There are many things I've learned from watching American TV but there were still many things for which I was most grateful for an explanation!

I did have a little issue with the non-existent scene breaks which often broke up the story a little. When you're happily reading along and suddenly it's two days later, you just have to stop and get your bearings for a moment. It breaks the flow and I just wished there were more scene breaks but that was my only real issue with it.

Hannah herself comes across as being a little bit shallow. She's big into fashion and labels and almost missed a chance with a great guy because of this. However she's a wonderfully quirky character, spontaneously moving to London with a nonrefundable and expensive ticket on a drunken dare without a plan and improvising her way through London life. As such she ends up going through all sorts of hilarious dating exploits, work issues and accidentally falling into a life she comes to adore and I love her. I really do. She has taken life by the horns and ran off with it, which is an admirable thing.

So guys, Single in the City is a great book with a warm ending. By the end you'll be pining for more so if you're into chick lit and haven't read this one yet - do so!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel, please!, 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
A candy of a novel - delicious from beginning to end. Full of sparkling humour and spot-on sketches of life in the present day London, the book tells a story of a 26-years-old American girl, freshly landed in the British capital, from a perspective that any ex-pat would easily relate to.
The ex-pat does not have to be American, by the way. How many of us, flocking to London from all corners of the world in search of an "ideal" job, "ideal" friends and an "ideal" partner, just like Michele Gorman's heroine Hannah, were confused, to say the least (and bamboozled, if we are really honest), at first by how the "real" British ways work. Narrowly avoiding being hit by a car that goes in the opposite direction to the one we were used to all our previous lives, trying to reconcile ourselves with the weird eating habits and unpredictable weather, we gradually learn to decipher not only the subtlety of oh, so many purely "English" expressions that turn out to mean something entirely different from what they actually say, but also the totally unexpected meaning of some "typically British" behaviour. This is not to mention the ever lurking perils of the dating field in a new country. (No, the classical English literature you have proudly consumed as part of your education does not help at all to prepare yourself for the encounter of modern "English gentlemen", whether of true aristocratic or a slightly more modest decent.)
Those sufficiently familiar with the American version of English, will appreciate the extra flavour of Gorman's footnotes, in which her heroine explains the particularly "bizarre" bits of the world she's found herself in with a refreshing American straightforwardness that makes even those of us who have been here long enough to stop noticing suddenly look at it afresh and burst out laughing.
And it is, of course, a piece of chick lit, so we are privy to Hannah's search for Mr. Right and everything it entails - her inner thoughts and "not-so-perfectly-thought-through" behaviour with potential prince charmings, her heart-felt conversations with the old and new "best friends", her panic fits and distress when things go horribly wrong only to turn out for the best in the end. The end is a bit unexpected, by the way, which makes it an even better read. Yes, sequel, please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab and funny read, 7 Nov. 2010
T. Murray (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
Single in the City is a funny and light-hearted look at life in London from a stranger's point of view. At first, Hannah is all at sea when she makes the move from US to UK but it's not long before she finds her feet and they're next to someone else's all too quickly as she searches for love. I loved Hannah's bewilderment at the British way of life and the foot-notes explaining the American references were a delight. I also liked that my prediction about who she would end up with was completely wrong.

I laughed out loud all the way through and can recommend Single in the City to anyone who likes their heroines funny and feisty; it's the perfect antidote to chilly autumn evenings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Single in the City (Paperback)
After being accidently followed by Michele Gorman on Twitter I decided it must be a sign and got Single in the City. I had no idea what to expect but what a lovely surprise! Really enjoyed it. Some of the situations Hannah gets herself into made me laugh out loud! Can't wait to read the next installment!