5.0 out of 5 stars Used everyday and still going strong
I use this at least 3 times everyday, and have done for over 6 months. I wouldn't be without it.

Better than electical one beacuse:
- only takes 4 mins
- 'lives' in the microwave now (rather than taking up space on the bench)
- Doesn't need to be unplugged to empty - just carried to the sink.

Not only does it holds a number of...
Published on 20 Mar. 2011 by SCGH

1.0 out of 5 stars I would like to us the philips range as it is good ...
Published 4 months ago by J. Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Used everyday and still going strong, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Philips AVENT SCF281/02 Microwave Steriliser (Baby Product)

Better than electical one beacuse:
- only takes 4 mins
- 'lives' in the microwave now (rather than taking up space on the bench)
- Doesn't need to be unplugged to empty - just carried to the sink.

Not only does it holds a number of bottles at a time, but also dummies, calpol measuring spoon, feeding spoons, bowls, microwavable teethers, etc...

I never measure 200ml exactly, just fill a bottle to somewhere around that mark, give or take 20ml.

I take it on holiday with me and use sterlising tablets in it if there is no microwave available.

1.0 out of 5 stars I would like to us the philips range as it is good ..., 31 Dec. 2014
J. Barker (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As the others have said does not fit standard microwaves. The steriliser it's self is 28cm wide most microwaves are 26 to 27cm wide inside now you might think that 1 or 2cms would just mean a tight fit but it means the steriliser will not turn in the microwave and unless you have a non turn microwave then it needs to turn. I have found one machine that will fir the Russel hobs 23l capacity machines but that's over £50.

I would like to us the philips range as it is good but they just don't have there information right. I have even talked to a member of their customer service team and the answers I got are-
"You must have the old 6 bottle model." Which I don't.
"We don;t know which type of microwaves would fit our product." Which is stupid when you have a none standard model. And anyway most products have a type they recommend you use with their machine.

It doesn't help that unless you are on a site like Amazon where you can ask other customers questions that microwave don't tell you the internal measurements of their machines. I just don't get why its so hard to give all relevant data on a product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been used for both children - good, 15 Jan. 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This works. We bought an electric steriliser and just didn't get on with it so bought this. It is simple to use and appears to do a good job. We used tommee tippee bottles in it, and although they don't slot properly into the slots it is fine and you can get the bottles to fit in fine. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So essential and easy to use!, 4 Dec. 2014
I LOVE this product. We looked at getting the electric vs. microwave steriliser but having read the reviews it seemed that the electric one took longer to sterilise the bottles. For an 800w microwave just pop in what you want to clean (after washing in hot soapy water with a bottle brush and rinsing) for 6 minutes and let cool down for a few minutes before placing on a bottle rack. I also sterilise dummies and formula pots in here too.

Pros:

The securely fastening lid means that the steam doesn't create condensation in the microwave

Durable materials

GREAT price

Sterlises 4 -6 bottles at a time plus teats and spare parts etc.

Comes with pair of plastic tongs to pick up hot teats

Quick and easy to use

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Sept. 2013
Gogol (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Fist of all I have to thank the below reviewer for posting the size of the actual microwave steriliser as I was concerned it wouldn't fit. It got into my microwave no problem which is a standard sized microwave. This is perfect for keeping at home as I use the microwave steriliser bags when going to someone's house or going out and about as this is pretty big, it just about fits your microwave and its pretty high. Not really something I would want to be taking abroad unless travelling by car.

Like all steam steriliser you just need to pour water and put in the microwave for 6 minutes. The little slots inside are basically for Philips bottles and accessories but I use them for all bottles all pretty much fit inside the steriliser if not quite in the individual slots.

Just one thing to mention though, once opened the instructions does say that the items inside are no longer sterile so its not really something to be doing several bottles and coming back to them throughout the day expecting them to stay sterile. What I have tended to do though is keep everything washed and cleaned, sterilise the lot, use one for a feed and then when the babies next feed comes up pop the steriliser back in the microwave again for 6 minutes. Saves time and saves space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, 21 Feb. 2013
I was planning on getting one of those electric models that can be plugged in to the wall socket. But then I read that those ones require some sort of anti-scaling measures. After using the Philips Avent for almost two months I know what they mean. The continuous boiling of water inside the steriliser creates some sort of dry scales on the walls of the base unit. This needs a soap wash once in two days. It could have been a real pain to clean this off of an electric steriliser. Though there are ways to clean them up, the cleaning materials are not readily available here in Sweden. And I think its not worth the effort. I am glad I chose the passive one. The unit is quite big and it fits just right into my microwave oven. If you have a smaller-than-usual oven, I would recommend to check out the size before buying it. I had done this earlier for mine.

The manufacturer spec says that the contents on the steriliser remain safe for upto 12 hours if box is not opened. I wouldn't count on that argument. The container is not air tight (well, you can t make them to be air tight since you have to boil water inside them). I don't think the claim of 12 hours is valid.

Anyway I am happy with the product and am using it quite extensively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy and cheap!, 29 Dec. 2012
MAJM (Granada, Spain) - See all my reviews
I hate spending a lot of money on gadgets you really don't use too much (althought they're quite necessary). Yes, you can always get back to traditional ways of sterilising by boiling bottles and soothers in water for 5 or 10 minutes, but it still takes a lot of time and it's quite messy.
I found this steriliser very easy tu use and very handy. It takes only a second to pour a little bit of water inside of it. Then all you have to do is to put yout bottles, soothers, teats, etc., inside the steriliser, close it and put inside the microvawe oven for some minutes. It's so easy and cheap, as you don't have to buy any sterilising tablets (just add half a glass of water...).
It's suitable not only for avent bottles, but for everything you need to sterilise (plastic spoons, breastpump parts, silicone nipple shields, etc.).
All you have to do is to check that your mcrowave oven is big enough for this steriliser. For your information, it's diameter is 26cm aprox. (I couldn't find this information in any product description nor on the Phillips/Avent webpage! This should be fixed by Philips/Avent!).
Good buy for a really great price (and really cheap use!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than chemicals but some disadvantages, 5 Jun. 2014
fb (West Yorkshire,UK) - See all my reviews
We started using this after couple of months use of sterilising tabs for the baby bottles from Asda. Although they were cheap and easy to use, they had to be rinsed out afterwards,left a sticky residue and there was a fair bit of water use. This,you need to put it in for 2 mins in the m'wave adding 200mls of water in the base to generate the steam which sterilises things. I like the fact there are no chemicals involved, but this will turn the silicone teats a yellowish colour and turn the bottles a milky semi-opaque appearance despite having cleaned them well beforehand.
Overall, we are very pleased with this and will continue to use this at home and use tabs when away from home etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compact at all, 5 Jun. 2013
After dropping my old avent steriliser I needed to buy a new one. I went for this as it said it was compact in size and I assumed only holding 4 bottles instead of 6 it would be a lot smaller which meant I could finally buy a smaller microwave. However it came and it is exactly the same size so very disappointment. Do not buy this expecting it to be smaller than the average microwave steriliser!

5.0 out of 5 stars What else to say other than excellent, 26 Nov. 2013
Yes people are saying it doesn't fit in their microwave so you will need to check that first. I've got one of the combi microwaves that grills, oven cooks etc as well so it is rather large in terms of most microwaves! This steriliser fits in no problems. I bought this when it was £6 (including delivery) yes including delivery, well for that I thought I may as well try it. I've had two of the big avent steam sterilisers with my last two children and they were fine. The times it says it takes to sterilise on the big one were a little off the mark and I found myself waiting sometimes much longer, which when you have a crying baby can seem like forever! But this time I was planning on successful breast feeding and didn't want to spend £60 on the big steam one. When I saw this one on amazon for £6 I jumped at the chance to experiment. So glad I did.... It says 4 minutes and that's how long it takes. Ok it's not as big and only fits 4 bottles and not 6 but I cannot sing enough praises for this compact little gem!

Philips AVENT SCF281/02 Microwave Steriliser