5.0 out of 5 stars Horror as it should be
REC was one of those films that proves yet again recent American horror is in a pretty poor state and was of course remade about ten minutes after the original was released. Doubtless REC 2 will be remade by this time next week.

Published on 20 Sep 2010 by LukeW

2.0 out of 5 stars Rec 2 - Disappointing
I loved Rec and was looking forward to watching the second part. As a recent convert to the zombie movie genre, Rec had me on the edge of me seat all the way through, and although I was little disappointed with the ending it didn't ruin it for me.

Published on 14 May 2012 by Mr. Paul J. Sargeant

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror as it should be, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)

Anyway, the first question fans of REC will be asking is is the sequel as good? With a big smile on my face, I'm happy to say yes. Beginning almost immediately after the first film ended, part two starts with a SWAT team and a doctor entering the apartment building to find out what happened to the camera crew, firemen and people who lived in the building. It's not long before they discover they're knee deep in the brown stuff and things are going to get worse.

I did wonder if the handheld camera issue would be a problem. After all, there was a reason for it in the original film. However, rest assured it's justified in the sequel and becomes almost as much of a character as the SWAT members and the infected. We see through their eyes and there are several moments in which it seems the infected are coming for the viewer, such is the effect of the camerawork. I was also pleased by some very nice touches - spotting the people from the first film who are now infected, the splashes of blood in the same places as before, and the use of an exit/entrance briefly mentioned in REC.

While some of the mystery from REC concerning the cause of the outbreak has been cleared up, there are still plenty of questions left and still plenty for us to enjoy in what is one of the best horror sequels I have ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how you make a sequel., 27 Oct 2010
This review is from: Rec2 [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
****** This review contains some slight spoilers ****** I am huge fan of the original horror film "REC," which of course inspired the American remake "Quarantine." So of course, once I heard that they were making the sequel I was up for it completely. The first film is definitely one of my favorite horror films of all time (yes it was that good!) I really liked Angela Vidal (the main character) as she had a fun personality and didn't seem like a typical heroin from a horror film, it was great Spanish horror flick that had a few great scare scenes and a creepy but awesome ending and I've watched the flick several times. While I'm not sure I could have the same experience with REC 2, the movie is still a great horror film, this film also improves on alot of things from the previous one. It has more action, gore, comedy and yeah I would probably say that it was a better film.

REC 2 starts almost immediately after the events that took place in the first film, and follows members of the S.W.A.T. team going to the apartment complex from the first film. Equipped with video cameras, they go in to find any remaining characters, and find the antidote to the virus that is spreading. We also follow a group of teenagers who end up finding their way in too. We see both vantage points, including the horror that both teams face.The way this film is shot is breathtaking. In the first film, we had only one perspective from a TV camera. In this film, the S.W.A.T. team uses cameras that can link to mini cameras so that when one of the characters is on his own we can see what's going on. Some may feel this doesn't keep the realism, but I feel it does. Law-enforcement men take cameras with them all the time, and if you were a kid going into the apartment to see what's going on, naturally you would have a camera. In terms of a technical achievement, REC 2 definitely brings it up a level.

In the last film, what this virus may be is merely hinted at. In here, the directors move more into the mythology they created and expand it. We learn, without giving too much away, that the virus is much more than what we thought it was, something that leads back to the Vatican and religion in general. Rec 2 impresses because of a bold willingness to rewrite its own rules. In doing so, it sweeps the rug from under you feet, leaving you in the dark in regards to what can and will happen. With Rec 3 already announced, only time will tell if Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza can continue to re-invent their world so successfully. Either way, it won't be long until we take a trip back into hell, which is, truly, an appealing prospect. It was a truly awesome sequel, even my wife enjoyed this and shes usually squeamish when it comes to these type of films. I highly recommend this to horror fans, enjoy!.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOLLOW UP, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Rec2 [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
If you like your horror then this series is the tops and the blu ray is the icing on the cake.A lot of good spanish horror about.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rec 2 - Disappointing, 14 May 2012
Mr. Paul J. Sargeant (Watford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)

So, decided to see the whole thing through to the end and watch Rec 2. I won't go in to the plot as there are plenty of other reviewers who have.

For me, this lacked the tension and jump moments that the first one had managed to do so well. I don't know whether that's because you knew the layout of the building this time and what was potentially waiting in each apartment, or whether it's just that the script and action wasn't quite as good this time round. I have no problem with the hand-held camera thing, it can work really well and that's been proven in a few films now, including Rec, but on this occasion I just got a bit bored of it. There were a couple of times when the camera was put on the floor so all you could see were feet running around. Both times it just annoyed me, it felt lazy.

My partner hated the whole religious aspect of the film, but I found that quite refreshing for a Zombie film, it wasn't just another unexplained virus turning people mad. Quite a nice twist I thought.

Where as I would sit and watch Rec again, I have to say that this DVD will be going to the charity shop now after one watch. It just didn't grip me and I didn't care about the characters, where as in the first one you got to know and like the group of people trapped inside the building, in this one I couldn't have cared less who survived and who didn't, I just wanted it to end.

It was watchable, but not really enjoyable or memorable. I gave it 3 stars for - It's Ok. That's it. No more, no less. It passed some time on a rainy Sunday night.

4.0 out of 5 stars superb sequel, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)
Well I didn't have high hopes for this sequel if I'm honest (I loved the first, one of my favourite horrors ever), so I decided to make the best of it by watching it late at night in blu-ray with the headphones on full volume. I was very pleasantly surprised, and would argue that it is better than the first in almost every sense, and along with Paranormal Activity 2 it's up there as potentially the best horror sequel of all time

** spoiler **

The infamous ''green scene'' ending to the first movie is reprised, and it is much more terrifying than it's predecessor.

To sum things up, I think I might have to watch an episode of Frasier before I go to bed

3.0 out of 5 stars more of the same, but not as good, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)
I loved Rec, which was a wonderful combination of building tension and creating shocks, when you really did not know exactly what was going on and the the story gradually unfolded. There were a couple of places where I literally jumped in my seat, which I have not done with a horror film for years. This sequel, whilst not bad by horror film sequel standards, is a fairly similar format to middle section of the original, but it fails to build tension. The story takes over from the end of the first film, and feels like it is an attempt to add another 90 minutes onto it. Unfortunately it is too simple a format to sustain for another 90 minutes, and this film just throws you straight into the thick of it without any real build-up.

I understand the next sequel takes a major dip in quality, so won't be watching that one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please Rewind Before Returning (from the dead), 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: Rec2 [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
Zombies are the new Vampires, but with less teenage angst and more chomping on savoury brains. One of the key Zombie films of recent years was cult Spanish hit `Rec', which combined the rabid nature of '28 Days Later' with the found footage of `Blair Witch'. `Rec 2' is a direct continuation of this film and hints further that the film has the hall marks of a zombie film, but is it? An enigmatic academic and 4 special ops policemen enter the, now supposedly empty, tenement building that featured the first film's outbreak. Who is this mysterious scientist obsessed with discovering what is in the attic of the building?

`Rec 2' is an example of the rare occurrence when more of the same is a good thing. The same sets, the same style, similar scares, but they all still work brilliantly. Even after two films you are still a little unsure of the truth and never really see the infected people. Bathed in darkness directors Jaume Balaguero and Paco Plaza use flashes of fear and the audiences' imagination to distil terror. The opening act is a brilliant mix of action and horror as the capable police officers slowly uncover the truth, only to discover they wish they never did. It is the slightly limp second act which prevents the film from being as strong as the first. A group of youngsters are introduced as a parallel storyline that just proves to be boring.

With a lot of the film being shot via handheld cameras, the HD should not work, but it does. The BluRay highlights the scary sound effects and gives the grainy imagery a depth. Balaguero and Plaza are the people who should be given the most praise for the film, and the series. They have stuck to telling a simple story well and leaving the audience wanting more.

3.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT SEQUEL OR TOTAL REC?, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed Rec there ain't no denying that so I was more than up for another dunk into it's bloody, body-strewn, waters. However it was a bitter sweet experience rather than the mind blowing experience I was expecting when considering the original, and the buckets of hyperbole splattered across the front cover in the form of four and five star reviews from every Thomas, Richard and Harold. There is no question that we all wanted to know what was going on after the end of the first part so a sequel was certainly in order, but whether or not the direction taken with it was the best idea or indeed pulled of as well as could have been is another question entirely. So read on to find out more.

THE STORY:
It's fifteen minutes after the original incident and an armed unit is sent in to find out just what the heck is going on. Of course just having a whole bunch of weapons is not going to guarantee that you won't get your eyebrows snatched off in this particular block of flats so trouble is guaranteed to ensue, and on top of all this there's a bunch of pesky kids mooching about with a video camera trying to find a bit of action they can profit from. So it's not looking good for all involved, and if you recall the strange incidents in the penthouse from the end of the last movie you'll know that all hell is about to break loose.

THE GOOD:
- Sticking to the original format you're going on a tense first person view of the action which did and still does work extremely well in providing a claustrophobic front row seat in a gruesome freak show.
- The acting is good to very good although there are a few annoying elements that I'll get onto later.
- The violence and gore is spot on and about at the levels we've come to expect after the first film.
- Various effects that come from camera damage and other variables work well in keeping the confusing and frightening atmosphere running high.
- The attackers (I can no longer call them zombies) are suitably rabid and frighteningly quick.
- Twists and turns in the story are interesting (if not exactly what I was expecting).
- Sound is used to great effect and the whole thing sounds lovely in surround.
- The overall story line is a decent.

THE BAD:
- Although the overall story is interesting it doesn't play out as well as it could have done, in my opinion.
- The new direction or rather expansion of what was going on at the end of the first part is a little jarring and when it starts to kick off some of it comes off as being a bit too silly.
- A lot of the metaphysical stuff was a little too out there to work or be taken whole heartedly serious. The whole night vision stuff was just daft and nonsensical.
- Although the acting was good overall some of the shouting and more difficult emotional moments where proper O.T.T.
- The fact that everyone who gets into the building has a video camera, although necessary to the film, felt more than a little convenient at times.
- This may be a small point but the contact lenses used for the 'zombie' effects where a bit rubbish and could have looked a lot creepier.
- Nods to a certain other film are obvious but the film never reaches the scary heights of said film thus pointing out Rec 2's deficiencies.

CONCLUSION:
I didn't hate Rec 2 by any stretch of the imagination but it did leave me feeling strangely hollow. When it works it really works but it often pushes some really hokey stuff in your direction that's just a bit too silly to swallow. Having said all that if you watched and enjoyed the first part then you shouldn't miss out on this sequel and perhaps you'll be a lot more satisfied than I was - sorry but this time you'll have to draw your own conclusions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Spanish Horror, 21 Sep 2010
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)
This is how horror movies should be made. The film picks up where the first one left off and after about 10 mins of set up, we are straight into the action and it never lets up. The one very slight niggle I have is about half way through the film, the story goes outside. I found this to be a little jarring and it took a little while to get back on track Having spent so much time inside the apartment block.

Some of the first film's events are expanded in this one and really add to the story.

Another aspect of the film is the sound. If you have 5.1 surround sound, you will have one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. It's almost like 3D sound and really adds to the whole experience of the events unfolding in the apartment.

All in all, one of the best horror sequels for years and truly deserves to be up there with the best. Don't hestitate, check this film out now, you won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rec meets the Exorcist, 25 Jan 2011
Mr. N. Edwards "NiallEd" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rec2 [DVD] (DVD)
After being suprised by how much I enjoyed the first film, I was looking forward to watching Rec2.

The basic plot is that a small military team are sent into the quarantined building to check out what is going on inside. However, it soon transpires that there is more to their mission than than they were initially told.

Once again it is in Spanish with English subtitles but this time the subtitles caused me more of a problem. I was trying to read them while other things were going on and found myself 'rewinding' several times because I missed what was said.

As for the plot, I think my initial concerns really started when they entered the building. The first film ended with a horde of Zombies chasing the remaining survivors but when the army team go in (apparently only 15 min later), they have all vanished. I found myself asking 'where have all the Zombies gone?'.

Anyway, fairly quickly the film starts to take on a much more supernatural theme but I won't say any more about that. This worked quite well but unfortunately, as the film neared the end, the whole thing became progressively more ridiculous culminating in some absurd ideas to do with 'night vision'. This may seem a little harsh but I think the last 15 min or so really let down what would have been a good sequel. The film finishes with one big loose end that opens up potential for a third film along the lines of Resident Evil 2 but I guess we will have to wait another year to see if that materialises.

Perhaps the Americans will remake Rec2 in English (as they did with 'Quarantine') and make a bit more sense of the ending. Time will tell.

Rec2 [DVD]
Rec2 [DVD] by Paco Plaza (DVD - 2010)
3.30