5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Canon 7D and Canon brand charger
I first ordered a more expensive replacement 30 'alternative brand' battery (different brand, different supplier) and it would not even work with the Canon charger so I had to send it back. Because of that I did not have high expectations of this one, the Powerplanet brand, as it was even more moderately priced at under 20.
Well, I was mistaken (happily) - the...
Published on 31 Mar 2011 by Jaysview

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably worth the money
I have found that mine gives me approx. 2/3rd the battery life of a genuine Canon battery otherwise very good.
Published 18 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Canon 7D and Canon brand charger, 31 Mar 2011
This review is from: Canon LP-E6 PREMIUM Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery (100% COMPATIBLE) from Dot.Foto - with Dot.Foto InfoChip - 7.4v / 1600mAh - 2 Year Warranty [See Description for Compatibility] (Electronics)
Well, I was mistaken (happily) - the Powerplanet seems a really good battery.

I have only been running it about a week but it has had heavy daily use and is holding up well so far. It seems to take a couple of recharges/use in the camera to settle down for an accurate 'percentage left' reading but I also found the same with Canons own brand battery that came with the camera.

This battery works fine with Canons own charger and acts in my 7D camera just like the original battery. It registers normally with the camera and the 'remaining percentage charge' display in camera is fully operational.

I use my camera a great deal so I have now ordered a 2nd of these batteries as this first one has been a real success so far. They last a long time on a charge so it will mean I don't have to take the charger etc. with me when I go away for long weekends etc.

Edit 1 - additional info:

Some weeks later and I have been using these batteries heavily and they are excellent, so far I have gone up to 600 photos one one day just using one battery and it still had more than 40% charge left in it. In the orig review I forgot to say they each came with a handy clip on cover to protect them when not in camera/charger.

Edit 2 - additional info:

I have ordered in the last 18 months several PowerPlanet brand batteries for both my Canon 5d and 7d.
This model battery is the one that fits the 7d.

I have found them all to be reliable, long lasting in use and to hold up just as well if not better than the manufactures own. I have ordered some more today as I am doing all day shoots and wish to have a large supply of spares, to cover several days without recharging. The first sets I bought (mentioned earlier in this review) are still acting as if they are brand new and have proved to be very reliable long term.

Very happy with this brand.

4.1.2014
Found my review of these batteries while ordering a different sort for my other camera and see a lot of people have found it a helpful review so I thought I would add some more follow up. I am still using all the 7d batteries I ordered from PowerPlanet and still have not had a problem with any of them. They are still outlasting the Canon one that came with the camera and my cameras get very heavy use, its unusual for both cameras not to be used most days. I will be ordering some additional batteries for my 5d shortly, to replace the ones it came with originally and I intend to stick with this brand for those as well. Hope this additional update is helpful.
J

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Battery, 7 Aug 2010
Bought this from the seller, ordered it on Wednesday and arrived Saturday morning, very happy with the delivery times, added bonus it was free postage even to N Ireland.

As for the battery its works perfectly, I charged it and shot with it this afternoon in the studio to try it out, it charges in the Canon Charger and displays info on the camera, it even counts the shutter releases and displays the battery information, I checked and it had shot 800 images and was displaying that it had 63% left, this was on the 1st charge and its about the same as Canons own battery, I am very happy, as its approx 1/3 of the price of Canons.
I shall give an update if it goes pear shape, but as it stands, its works perfectly unlike the Ex-Pro battery that was more expensive and didn't work, had to return.

Highly recommended.

Update:
I decided to run the battery until it had 2% power left and checked the shutter count, the Battery had delivered 2387 shots in studio conditions, lens used for the test were Canon 50mm f1.4 and Canon 85mm F1.8, flash heads/strobes were triggered via Elinchrom Skyport trigger system, Raw and Jpeg small were captured and processed to sandisk cards, I am very impressed as the back LCD is switch on and I also spent time showing clients sample images from the shoots,

So still very highly remommended. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful!, 27 Jun 2011
Quite simply these are copies of the Canon 7D's battery. I bought 2 as back ups for my canon battery and one a recent wedding photography job I used the Canon for the first 2/3 of the job and the PowerPlant battery for the final 3rd. The Canon battery last a lot longer, probably about a third or half again as long as the PowerPlant batteries BUT the powerplant batteries are cheap, work just fine, let you see the battery charge levels and aren't bad at all. They last long enough but I just remember to be slightly more vigilant in checking my battery levels between photos.

Definitely worth the outlay and for the cost you can have several of these for the cost of a genuine Canon battery, like I said, I own two and they haven't let me down yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, works with the latest 5DIII firmware, 22 Jun 2013
Excellent price, about 6-8 times less than Canon branded one
Perfect compatibility - works well with 5DIII charger and 1.2.1 firmware

5.0 out of 5 stars Works in Canon charger and displays battery information, 15 Oct 2010
After seeing many products which claimed to be compatible with the Canon charger and display battery charge information on the camera but had reviews against this claim I settled on this battery pack and decided to give it a go. I'm using a 7D and it does indeed charge using the Canon supplied charger and display battery charge information on the camera. I haven't had chance to see how many shots I get out of it but don't foresee any problem given that it is the same capacity pack as the genuine Canon battery. To summarise, if you're looking for a compatible battery pack and aren't willing to pay the steep price for a genuine Canon one this appears to be a viable alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars PowerPlanet LP E6, 24 Dec 2010
Item delivery time was good.

Battery has been charged on my Canon charger with no problems.

Battery indicator on camera recognizes battery functions the same as the Canon battery.

Battery was a fraction of the price of the original Canon battery.

Very pleased with my purchase would definitely buy another one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 4 Oct 2013
R. Kent (England) - See all my reviews
You get what you pay for. In this case this battery is a lot less expensive than the Canon version but does not hold its charge as long. However, I think we all know that and it works fine as a second battery when the first one runs out when you are out on a shoot away from home. Does the job. No complaints. There are some on the market where the electrical rating does not appear to be the same as the original battery. Personally I would not trust some of the performance claims on the labels stuck on batteries, apart from the originals which have a serial number stamped on them. I guess my rule is don't buy too cheap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement, 8 Mar 2013
mark ndisya (Berrien Springs, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This product beats the original by price but not in performance, there isn't a stark difference but I'd say you get at least a 12%-15% reduction in power supply compared to the original. This is not a problem since I wanted it as a second source of power while the other one charged. You can tell there is a difference in weight compared to the original, however, it performs close enough to give it a good rating. I use this in my 60D to record video, it registers with the camera for those who are wondering.

I'm anticipating ordering another one as soon as the stock becomes available

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., 25 Feb 2013
I have had mixed success with 3rd party batteries, including a disastrous episode on holiday in India. Since then, I am very suspicious.
With a new 7D, I needed new back up batteries. The cost of Canon's own batteries is enough to steer one to alternative brands. My first, and only, thought was to go for Duracell. Playing safe, based on previous experience with my 40D.
The Duracell equivalent is quite pricey, so I gave these a go instead and ............
So far, so good. It seems to hold the charge. The 7D seems to find it compatible and give all the same battery status data as it would on a Canon product.
So, at this price, give them a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Feb 2013
Love these, a fraction of the cost of Canons own and so far just as good. I have had them over a year now and cant tell the difference with my branded batteries

ARRAY(0xadaceeac)