5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Carrie - before Sex and the City...
Okay, in order to read this book, there are a few rules.

Published on 30 April 2010 by David Stevenson

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cover is Pretty
As a true SATC ( Sex and the City Fan) I love everything about the shows, books and films, so I was excited when it came out.

I read it in one night.

It is what you would expect. It is Carrie growing up as a teenager and true to the title it was like reading a teenage girls diary - so I guess that was executed well.

I actually drooled over...
Published on 18 Aug. 2011 by Regular User

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Carrie - before Sex and the City..., 30 April 2010
Okay, in order to read this book, there are a few rules.

Firstly, forget everything about that we learnt about Carrie's life pre SATC from the show. This includes the absent father, the losing of virginity on a pool table and Jeremy Conway. Yes, I love the show as much as anyone, but if you're constantly comparing the two (book and series) you'll be disappointed.

Secondly, forget about the Carrie from the original BOOK Sex and the City, because frankly, she's not as nice as SJP's CB, nor this teenage one in The Carrie Diaries.

Okay, still with me?

Carrie Bradshaw is seventeen years old and ready to start her life. Unfortunately, various inconvieniencies keep getting in the way. She has to complete senior year of high school, her friend's seem to be growing apart, and Sebastian Kydd arrives in Castlebury.

What I loved about this book was the fact that there is no direct references to future Carrie. After all, she's still growing up and finding things out for herself - she's not become 'Carrie Bradshaw' yet. However, there are obviously hints to the person she is - the trouble with guys, the love of fashion, the loyalty in her friendships. It's all there. You can see how she grew up from dreaming of becoming a writer in New York to actually achieving it.

This is for teens, but I think fans of the show will enjoy it, as long as they don't get too upset about the changes in plot. What's great about Candace Bushnell is that it's like she's still at high school. Everything that teenagers worry about in their life is there - the frustration of basically just exisiting, the waiting to actually do something with your life, the concerns and worries that we all had(or have had).

The teenage Carrie Bradshaw is, after all, a teenager. She's smart and clever, bt she does make mistakes, and she doesn't always act perfectly. But that's good, because it reminds us that she is an 'every-girl'.

This book is very funny, and without being smug, very understanding of teenage life. I for one, loved it (the ending is just PERFECT, and I can't wait for the sequel, due out summer 2011) and there are several comments that had me laughing and relating to Carrie, as well as her friends.

Read it, see what you think There will be some who hate it because it's not like the show. But there will also be some who love it for showing Carrie's journey from ambitious teenager to New York girl.

I'm most definatly in the latter camp.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cover is Pretty, 18 Aug. 2011

I read it in one night.

I actually drooled over the book cover as it brought out my girly side as an adult woman. The handbag is a raised 3D style on the front of the hardback.

I liked the ending. Of course, that will not be revealed.

I am yet to buy the prequel now, unless I can convince someone to buy it me as a present..

4.0 out of 5 stars The Carrie Diaries, 12 Jun. 2011
If you are a lover of 'Sex And The City', young or old I think you will love this book. Be prepared though that this is Carrie Bradshaw before Mr Big, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte and before she is a columnist in New York City. This book goes way back to when Carrie is a small-town girl, is 17-18 years old and in her last year of High school. Dealing with friends, bitchy competition and most of all boys or to be more precise, a boy. Without giving too much away Carrie learns that friends can't all be trusted, the hard way. We also get to know quite a lot more about her past and her family, which is very rarely mentioned in the series or movies. It took me a while to get in to the book and particularly the character of Carrie Bradshaw as she is different than the one I know and love from the series and the movies, but I guess she is still a teenager in this book and is just starting to explore her flare for fashion, etc, and really only at the beginning of her journey to woman-hood. As I kept reading the book though I found it quite addictive too. Obviously there are some difference between Carrie Bradshaw the character in the book and Carrie Bradshaw the character portrayed on TV by Sarah Jessica Parker. For instance in the second movie at the beginning I remember Carrie Bradshaw saying she had met Charlotte first out of the three girls, but in this book the first girl she meets is Samantha. If attention to detail doesn't bother you though and you don't mind the difference between the book and the series then you will enjoy this book. I am a honorary SATC fan and I loved reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its fresh, funny and really quick to read., 11 Mar. 2011
I am in love with the Tv Show Sex and the City. Its my all time favourite show. I had never read any of Candace Bushnells novels. I didn't think i would enjoy them as many of the reviews for the Sex and City novel says the book isn't as good as the show. So I never bothered buying. However, I see this on Amazon one day and it sounds like my kind of thing. I am so glad I order it. I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

The Carrie Diaries follows Carrie Bradshaw as a teenager in her senior year of high school. I loved her. She reminds me so much of the tv character. She is wacky and funny. And has her head screwed on properly. Ok. so there is drink and drugs mixed in. However at the time this is set, 1979/80 that was a pretty common thing to do back then I think. She is a very strong character and doesn't let anyone boss her around. Her and her friends are a bunch very different people. They all bring something unique to story line. Maggie is the emotional one. The Mouse (Roberta) is a brainy one, Walt is the interesting one who has a secret. Lali is the one you want to slap.

The plot is very fun and yet deals with alot of serious issues as well. From grief to sexuality. It covers alot of issues. The big issue that is focus on is Boys. Well, with Carrie there is only two boys that take in interest in it. Sebastian, the new kid in school, bad boy. He is really sweet and caring towards Carrie at the begining of their relationship. However things turn bad when Sebastian and her best friend Lali start spending way too much time together. Then there is George. I really like him. He was sweet and cute and an all round nice guy. I am hoping that in the second novel that him and Carrie become more than friends.

My favourite part of the book is the very end. The set up for the next installement it just Perfect. I don't want to give anything away. However, if you are a sex and the city fan you are going to just love the last line in book.

Overall, well as you can see by my rambling on. I loved this novel. Its fresh, funny and really quick to read. So if you are a fan of the TV show or the original book then I suggest to pick this up.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Carrie Diaries, 19 May 2010
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm not a big fan of Sex and the City; I've only ever seen a couple of episodes, and I fell asleep halfway through the first film. Despite my ignorance, I do know the general story of the four New York socialites, though my knowledge is hazy at best. When I first heard about The Carrie Diaries, I had no interest in it at all. Then I read a few reviews, and thought it sounded a bit like Gossip Girl. That was enough to make me want to read it, and I'm so glad I did.

Teenage Carrie Bradshaw is a driven, ambitious girl who has her head screwed on tightly. She doesn't let anyone, whether it be friends or boys, push her around, and she does what she wants to do. She's faced with all the usual teenage grievances, including bad boyfriends, high school back-stabbing and the constant pressure to lose her virginity. She doesn't let peer pressure sway her decisions, and for that I absolutely admired her strength of character. Her interest in writing is an outlet of sorts, and proves to be a very worthwhile hobby that, thankfully, she pursues.

In addition to Carrie, this book also has some fantastic secondary characters. Walt and The Mouse are my favourites, and I like to think they stay in touch with Carrie in the future, as they really are the best kind of friends a girl could have. Bad boy Sebastian and nice, normal George provide the romantic element of the story and, though I preferred Sebastian (don't ask me why I go for the bad ones, 'cause I don't know), George is definitely the more reliable of the two. As Greenday once said: nice guys finish last. But hey, at least they try.

Things get a little too convenient for Carrie every now and then, and that's my only real criticism of the story. One of the plot threads involves an article in a school newspaper, and I think if that particular scenario had happened in reality, it would have been dealt with a lot more severely, rather than being condoned.

The Carrie Diaries is pure chick-litty goodness. It's got romance, gossip, high school banter and a feisty female heroine. It's a journey of self-discovery, as well as a no holds barred look at the obstacles that can stand in the way of family, friends and dreams. I really hope Bushnell continues Carrie's YA story, as I want to read more!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Turning the Pages Review, 14 Feb. 2012
You may also read my review here: [...]

To start, I sort of feel like I was on the outside looking in. Those who are familiar with the Sex and the City series probably knew things would turn out a certain way, while I, an admitted SATC virgin, had NO IDEA!!

It was nice to finally imagine Carrie Bradshaw as someone other than Sarah Jessica Parker (SJP). Admittedly, I have never watched an entire episode of Sex and the City and I can honestly say it has everything to do with not being a HUGE fan of SJP. The Carrie Diaries may have swayed my opinion just enough that I am ready to watch an actual episode! (Thankfully, my sister is a big fan and owns the whole series)

Starting with the first day of her senior year, The Carrie Diaries follows Carrie Bradshaw, and her 'clique', through that final year of high school and all that it entails when you aren't at the top of the social ladder.

I found that all of the characters in this book were very identifiable. Every school, no matter what year you graduated, has a Donna LaDonna, a Sabastien Kydd, a Peter, a pair of Jen's, and even a Carrie Bradshaw. While you are reading, you will imagine these people with the faces of those who they represent in YOUR life... it was fun to remember an easier time... problems that seemed SO big at the time, but really aren't.

Overall, a great summer read. Nothing too challenging here and it will definitely make you jump up and grad Summer and the City as a follow-up read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read, 8 Dec. 2010
I'm a recent fan of sex and the city having watched all of the episodes and movies, however I don't know all of the histories of the characters as some of the other reviewers.

The story follows Carrie before she went to "The City" and her finishing the last year of school in the 80s. We find out how and why she got into writing and some of the help and encouragement she received along the way to make her the Carrie from the SATC series. We also find out about her man troubles and how she coped with them at 17.

The story was light and easy to read and you could really relate to the characters. I devoured chapter after chapter with easy and before I realised it I had finished the book in a few days. There are not too many references to the 80s so even if you don't know anything about the era it won't impact the enjoyment of the book.

The reason I give this book 5 stars is because when I finished it I felt very happy and smiley and it made me want to watch SATC all over again. This for me was one of those books that leaves you feeling glowing from a good read. I would recommend this to any of my friends, especially those that have watched sex and the city. I was also very pleased to find out that there will be a sequel to the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 22 May 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Carrie Diaries (Hardcover)
THE CARRIE DIARIES follows Carrie Bradshaw pre-Sex and the City.

Seventeen-year-old Carrie is just beginning her senior year in high school, and like all girls she falls for the gorgeous bad boy, Sebastian Kydd. Before long, Carrie and Sebastian are a couple - and the envy of the popular girls, who harass Carrie and make her life harder than it needs to be.

Besides Carrie's hot-and-cold relationship with Sebastian, she also has to deal with a huge secret her best friend, Walt, is keeping, and a betrayal that threatens to ruin a lifelong friendship in an instant.

Fans of Sex and the City will enjoy this novel, as it gives a lot of information on Carrie's family life and what inspired her to become a writer. It also recounts how it is that Carrie arrived in New York all those years ago, which ties it in nicely with both Candace Bushnell's adult novels and the show.

Reviewed by: Angela S.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give this book a chance, 16 Jun. 2010
Ms. L. Mcqueen (England) - See all my reviews
Like many of you I love, love, love SATC. I have the DVD box set, all the books and CD's (a bit of a geek you might say) and have seen both filsm numerous times. When I saw this book for sale on Amazon I just had to add it to my collection.
I am not going to lie to you, after reading the first few chapters I was disappointed :( I, like others, compared the book to episodes of SATC and took all too seriously the inconsistencies; father, two sisters, Carrie losing her virginity etc. I was able to enjoy the book though and started to imagine a young Carrie and empathise with how as young women we all change throughout our late teens and early twenties.
I enjoyed this book on the whole, more so once I was able to enjoy reading about Carrie ahving taken off my 'super fan' hat.
I would recommend this book, if only for the final line in the last chapter - whatever you do, don't read ahead!

5.0 out of 5 stars No sex before the city, 31 May 2010
M. Jeremiah "Marti" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrie Diaries (Paperback)
For all fans of SATC this book is MANDATORY! Loved it!!!!!!
fantastic, it chronicles Carries senior year in high school in a small town with all the usual trials and tribulations of someone about to go off to college - friends, boyfriends, losing your virginity, the pressure of deciding what you are going to do with the rest of your life? But because its Miss Carrie Bradshaw theres always the fashion!
Whats great about this book is you really get to see what the real Carrie is like and what I loved most, her family which you dont really know anything at all about up until now.
Loved this book so much and I definetly think its a must for all SATC fans.. read it before you see the film as the book does have her meeting up with one of the girls - but who will it be???? Charlotte, Samantha or Miranda?

Great book for all girls 13 onwards as well, a really nice coming of age story.