Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£1.74

on 13 February 2004
I found this book in Australia, and bought it there. On return to the U.S., my sons and I spent night after night reading it to each other and acting out the illustrations. The text is simple - aimed for the youngest reader - but humourous, and the illustrations are absolutely charming.
The book chronicles a week in the life of a wombat and its human "pets" - all from the wombat's point of view. Many "entries" in the diary reflect the wombat's nocturnal nature ("Monday - Morning: Slept; Afternoon: Slept...). The humour and charm stem from the animal's interaction with the world around it - battling a "welcome" mat, discovering an endless supply of carrots (the garden), tackling wet laundry on the line, communicating its desires to the humans (by bashing trash bins, chewing flower pots)...
The book's humour is comparable to "Click Clack Moo" and "Giggle Giggle Quack", but the text is easier for youngsters to read themselves. The adult readers (both in Oz and America) were delighted with the book, and several teachers requested copies. It is not available in the U.S., and I was very grateful to obtain a copy for our school library through amazon.co.uk marketplace. Also, the U.K. version contained an additional page explaining "I am a wombat, a nocturnal animal..." which is an excellent addendum to the original book.
on 24 January 2006
I found this book by chance and was overwhelmed with how cute the wombat is. This is one of those books that parents won't mind reading to their children over and over again because it is simply adorable and comic at the same time. The diary format makes this the Bridget Jones of the wombat world!
on 12 December 2015
Great book, especially for introducing the concept of a diary. Wombat doesn't do a lot, except eat carrots and dig up the flowerbeds, but you need lots of inference skills around reading the picture and the underlying meaning of the simple words to find this funny. There's also a Christmas Wombat book!
on 10 March 2015
What a delightful, funny and charming diary. We follow Mothball, the wombat, through her life and times for 8 days. Mothball is so loveable, thanks to the work of Bruce Whatley, the illustrator. This big, hard, lump of an animal is portrayed in a manner that is heart-warmingly cute!

I like the way Jackie French convinces me and my kids that we really are inside the mind of this iconic Australian. Mothball’s humans are truly blessed and very special at the same time.

Mothball’s demanding, destructive nature is depicted in an understanding, loving way. But it is frighteningly realistic too. I would not want this to happen at my home!

Now that my kids read junior novels, I thought the charm of this picture book we have owned for years would be “old news”. But recently my 9 year old won an opportunity at our local library to choose a free new book. From a vast array on offer, she chose this book’s sequel, “Diary of a BABY Wombat.” She had not read it before, and wanted to re-live the magic of the original “Diary of a Wombat”. We just cannot under-estimate the longevity of the appeal of picture books to our kids. They are treasures, as is this book.
on 24 February 2006
No other way of describing it, absolutely adorable. The illustrations of the wombat are unbelievably cute, a book you can read endlessly and enjoy it more every time., Will never fail to bring a smile to your face and make you melt inside. A wombat with an attitude she may be, but also engaging, endearing and an absolute gem.
on 24 June 2013
A friend recommended this to us and we have bought it to read with our baby daughter. The pictures and gentle humour are lovely, and wombats are intrinsically appealing beasts. We've gone on to buy it for friends too, and word of mouth success is often a good indicator for this sort of thing.
on 20 October 2013
I have the Italian version of this book - read it to my toddler two weeks ago and he has eaten at least two raw carrots a day every day since then, claiming to be a wombat (It spends a lot of time finding/asking for carrots in the book) - it's a very sweet and funny book and has much improved my son's vegetable intake ... perhaps there should be a follow-up one where it asks for other veg?!
on 11 May 2015
Hee Hee! Read about eight days in the life of this wombat. It starts off on a Monday when all it does is sleep, scratch and eat grass. By Tuesday it has decided that grass is boring. On Wednesday it notices that it has new human neighbours and life and food begins to become much more interesting!

You will laugh, or at least smile, as you read this book. What happens when the wombat learns to bang on the "large metal object"? How do the humans react? Who thinks who is a pet?

Delightful, funny book that should be enjoyed by every family. FAB!
on 1 July 2004
We came across this book in a market in Sydney and fell in love with it instantly. The drawings are wonderful, perfectly visualising the story and gorgeous at the same time. The story is simple yet fun, appealing both to children and to the adult in them.
I'm sure this will go down a hit with all children everywhere and with adults reading to them, so, go buy this book straight away, it's the best!
This is a lovely book for young children, especially as it introduces British children to an animal they might not be familiar with. The illustrations are beautiful and charming and the story is very simple but nice for a quick read - however, since the story is very basic it may be a book your child quickly tires of reading.

Its a nice book to begin conversations with your child, such as, different animals and different routines. Also, even if your child gets bored of the story, it might be worth keeping around anyway since the simple sentences and large font make it a good book to use when your child is learning to read a couple years down the line.

Charming nonetheless.