5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for Linux MythTV Media Centre
After a lot of research I settled on Asus AT5IONT-I for my upgraded MythTV media Centre running on Mageia 1 Linux with a PCIe TBS6280 DVB-T2 dual Freeview Tuner.

Published on 6 Nov 2011 by unclelester

3.0 out of 5 stars Really needs a fan
This motherboard ought to have been a perfect upgrade to my existing single core Atom/ION board, but sadly it didn't work out.

Published on 8 Oct 2011 by David Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for Linux MythTV Media Centre, 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Asus Atom D525 AT5IONT-I Mini ITX Motherboard Includes Sound Graphics and Lan (discontinued by manufacturer) (Accessory)

AT5IONT-I is particularly attractive to Linux users because it has Nvidia ION-2 graphics which is fully supported in Linux, and supports VDPAU which is currently the only form of graphics acceleration supported by MythTV. The benefit is that the CPU will run at about 15% load while playing Freeview. The dual core Atom CPU is capable of running any of the MythTV plugins without any problems. It is a lot smoother than my previous single core Atom mobo.

AT5IONT-I has only two SATA sockets on the motherboard which is a bit limiting, but there are also two external SATA sockets on the rear panel which are useful for external hard drives or you could even feed the cables back into the case and mount them internally.

There is a single HDMI port which works well. One difficulty I had was in getting sound to work through HDMI. The solution was
1/ Disable analogue sound through pulse audio.
2/ Put this string into /etc/modprobe.conf
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

There is no serial port on AT5IONT-I which is unfortunate since I control MythTV using a home made infra red receiver on a serial interface. There is an infra red port on the TBS6280 DVB-T tuner card I use for MythTV, but at time of writing there is not yet a Linux driver for the infra red port. So as a workaround I am using a mini wireless keyboard to control MythTV.

As other commentators have noticed, AT5IONT-I does get hot. I am using it without a fan in a Mini-ITX enclosure with the lid off and the temperature is an acceptable 55-60 deg C If I were to put the lid on I have no doubt the temperature would rise considerably.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really needs a fan, 8 Oct 2011
David Edwards - See all my reviews

My media PC runs totally silently; no HDD or fans. The main attraction of this board for me was that it combines an ION2 GPU with a dual core Atom CPU cooled by a *fanless* heatsink. However, even just turning it on long enough to install an OS resulted in the CPU temperature soaring too high and the board started locking up. The only way I could keep it running was to balance a fan on top of the heatsink. Since the heatsink is not designed to mount a fan, this is not a practical solution. A case fan might have done the trick, but I didn't have one the right size for my case to test, and I suspect it would still have run pretty hot.

So it's back to the drawing board for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 17 May 2011
S. Sweeney (UK) - See all my reviews
For me it did what it claimed to do.

I paired it with a TBS-6891 Dual DVB-S2 card and run it as the family win7 media center box (i.e. instead of a humax or similar). After updating the nvidia drivers etc, I can happily stream 1080p from youtube, hop between the HD satellite channels and record different channels. The interface is snappy enough and once a proper media center remote was obtained, it fulfilled all expectations. Board was fan-free, recommend you try get a PSU equally fan-free. I went for a thermaltake shuttle and it's far from quiet despite being described as that.

Downsides I can think of are the price (considering the performance) and the placement of the front pannel audio connector (underneath the PCI-E card - no exaggeration).

Brazeros suppsed to be faster, but I've not seen a fanless one, and linux support for ATI put me off. This little board does what's needed for a HTPC, so no qualms about recommending...

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual Asus quality, 8 Mar 2012
I bought this MB to build a PC for general home use: WEB browsing, word processing etc. I selected the AT5IONT as it was fanless and it had NVIDIA graphics that support full HD video. Installation was really simple. I fitted it in a mini ATX case with a hard drive and DVD drive. I used 4GB of cruical memory using 2 2GB SODIMM modules. Make sure you get the correct memory as I have read reviews of some memory not working. Simply go to the Cruical site enter this MB type and you get a list of all the Crucial memory that is certified to work - and it does. I installed WIN7 and loaded the drivers from the supplied CD and it has worked faultlessly since then. I have never had to reboot it, other than required by Windows Updates. It has been running 24/7 for over a month now. I simply put it into sleep mode using the keyboard power button whenever it is not in use. It wakes up from sleep in a couple seconds by simply pressing any key on the keyboard. Using sleep mode also allows my Windows Home Server to wake it up and do a backup overnight and put it back to sleep. Performance wise it is surprising fast for a 1.8MHz Atom CPU. The graphics performance is superb - no problem watching full HD videos on a 24" monitor. It does run warm according to the supplied Asus CPU monitor program. The CPU temperature shows between 65-70 degrees, my reading of the CPU specification suggests 90 degrees is permissable. Even though the CPU is running warm the big blue heatsink never gets hot. Noise wise there isn't any. The only noise is from the hard drive. The fan in the power supply never turns on as the atom CPU and MB use so little power. Having built this PC just for general use at home I now use this PC as my work PC. CPU performance is more tha adequate and the graphics performance is superb. If I need to run a program that needs more CPU performance I simply remote desktop into my I7 CPU based machine which I now just leave in sleep mode. Because the graphics on this little MB are so good using remote desktop is just like working on the actual remote machine. Now I get the best of both worlds a quiet enviroment and the power of an I7 when I need it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little board, 17 Oct 2011
Mr P Burrows (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Nice board and OK performance but not enough SATA ports to be really useful. I found it got too hot to run fanless so ended up fitting a case fan. Overall I thought the ASUS AT3IONT-I was a better board for small low power applications. Sadly it's discontinued.

5.0 out of 5 stars i did not expect this!!, 16 Jan 2012
this is only a quick review, but it has to be said I'm more then impressed with this! i had some friends come over and we where playing computer games on our laptops! my dog chewed through one of the laptop wires and so was forced to use this computer. its got 5gb ram the mother board and a 500gb hdd. being an atom i did not hold high hopes!!!

believe this or not i was playing call of duty modern warfare 3 on full 1080, with 8X anti alising and high textures. it did not even blink, or get hot could not believe it, tell you what its the best computer i have got in the house, better then my macbook pro by far for playing games, high def content, myth tv what ever.

have no doubt this is VERY VERY good!!