5.0 out of 5 stars Tough spade
Heavy no-nonsence spade. Haven't been able to do any fencing yet - frozen ground - but it was very good for clearing the ice on our track. Heavy but easy to use. Well made.
Published on 15 Dec 2010 by Nesty

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not great!!!
Being a fence erector this item is essential for my work, and having just broken my trusty old grafter i had to bite the bullet and buy a new one, i did a bit of shopping around, and saw the reviews for this draper one, not the cheapest, but had good reviews. Having used it for the past couple of days, i would say those reviews aren't justified, still not as robust as my...
Published 9 months ago by Darren Thompson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough spade, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: Draper Expert 21301 Long-Handled Solid-Forged Fencing Spade (DIY & Tools)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for my needs, 14 Aug 2013
I've recently had to dig approximately 40 holes to install a pergola and the decking area around it. Most of the holes have thankfully only been about two feet deep, but the six for the pergola posts were well over three feet each (six of them).

This spade has been an absolute godsend for getting right down into the bottom of the holes whilst keeping the diameter reasonably close to the size of the posts (obviously the holes need to be a bit wider so that you can back-fill and concrete around the posts). It's a very well made tool which is still looking good even after the amount of work it's been put too. I'd say that the dimensions were very good too. The blade is long enough and slim enough and with just the right amount of rake/pitch on it. Any less you wouldn't be able to get any leverage on it, any more and you'd struggle to get it down the hole! I also like the fact that it's quite long. This means that even towards the bottom of the hole you've enough handle to be able to easily use it without too much back bending. I found it quite light to use, which had both pluses and minuses. The lightness meant that I could use it for long periods without too much fatigue. The minus side of this is that it's not too much use for breaking through anything too tough (see below).

I used the spade in conjunction with a Roughneck 68250 Post Hole digger and a Faithful Digbar60 Digging Bar, both also purchased from Amazon.co.uk. The digging bar was an indispensable tool, allowing me to break through the odd brick and lump of concrete without the need for jack-hammer. I'd have been completely stuck without it. The Roughneck digger is a scissor-like tool which is used for getting the loosened soil out of the hole. Having never done this sort of work before I was wondering whether I'd gone over the top with the tools, but using all three together made (reasonably) easy work of the job. OK, it was an investment of about 100 for all three, but I probably saved myself about 300 in labour, and I still have the tools (and a bit more muscle).

A quick tip if you're putting up pergola or fence posts, get yourself a post level. This guide has spirit levels on two sides enabling you to get a post perfectly vertical whilst using both hands, as opposed to struggling with a spirit level in one hand, juggling it from one side of the post to the other. Another 7 well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 15 April 2013
I use to dig out holes for fence posts using a spade, wish I had known that there were tools just for the job it would have saved me hours and many a sore back, We live and learn, great tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 9 July 2014
Great-really solid-used for a few fences now and still almost as new

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy one, 4 Jun 2014
The best Draper Expert 21301 Long-Handled Solid-Forged Fencing Spade I've ever bought. Not only long and hard, but blue too. You know you want one, why wait?

4.0 out of 5 stars fencing spade, 26 April 2014
nice long handle save the back for deep holes & used in conjunction with post hole digger makes easy work

5.0 out of 5 stars draper expert 21301 long handled solid-forged fencing spade, 16 Jan 2014
This makes a nice neat hole and it cuts through hard clay it is a handy all round tool dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough tool, 29 Oct 2013
Tougher than it looks. When I first unwrapped this I felt it might be a little 'weedy' for the task I had in mind. But it worked OK & so far I've not to break it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for deep fence holes, 21 Oct 2013
I used this in conjuction with a conventional fence hole digger of the cantilever type. using the Draper to loosen all the dirt and cut a good edge to the hole allows digging small deep holes. I was digging about 12" round holes to a dept of about 36" but I could have gone deeper. And I could have mad the hole just 7 or 8 inches diameter if I wanted a smaller hole. Very solid and robust tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tool but has Limitations in Hard Ground, 12 Sep 2013
With a major fence replacement project I purchased this on the basis of reviews. It is a great tool and extremely robust. In my case of very hard compacted clay based ground with flints, stones etc it was a usefull asset to have, but not as essential as a digging bar. My advice if hard ground figures is go for the extra mass and groundbreaking force of a digging bar with flat chissel blade as priority.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›