4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable USB storage
I recently got to the point where my PC's data storage disc was almost full (1.3TB of a 1.5TB disc) which left me the option of another internal disc or investigating some external storage. Having previously bought a dual drive external hard drive enclosure, the advantages were obvious to me (and if nothing else, in the event of having to race out of the house in an...
Published on 16 May 2011 by A. Joyce

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Box but....
I've had the box up and running for two days now and now I've got it working it's ok. However, it proved to be a nightmare to get working and the reasons for that were simply that the supplied cable it came with was faulty. Doesn't work with my other USB3.0 devices. As soon as i replaced that it works fine.

The fan is a little noisy however, and offers no means...
Published 20 months ago by G. Owen

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Design, Nice Concept, however ..., 26 Oct 2012
Ian Daniel (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Icy Box IB-RD4320StU3 External RAID Storage Enclosure for 2x 3.5 inch SATA HDDs with USB 3.0 interface (Accessory)
This thing is pretty noisy. I did the same as recommended by other reviewers and replaced the stock fan for the 40mm mini-Kaze fan - and the noise is exactly the same as the stock fan, its obviously the simple design. I write for a living so for me, its too loud. For anyone that says its not a noisy fan, they evidently have 'aged' ears. My PC, 2 monitors, 2 x laptops and a 4-Bay NAS combined are approx 80% quieter than this thing. I've just ordered a cheap fan controller to lower the fan speed and a result, the fan noise. I'll wack it up to full if and when doing large data transfers only.

Having said all that for less than 60 from Scan its a nice little unit. Very small in size, quick to install 2 HD's and set up in RAID 0 (no redundancy), 1 (mirror) or JBOD (I'm backing up my NAS automatically so its in RAID 0), nice subtle blue and green LEDs on the front, does the job nicely. Shame about the noise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick easy and affordable, 24 Oct 2012
Great for the price! We fitted ours with two 3tb drives, so a big expansion for a good price. Easy to set up. No screws and only a glance at the manual and we were done. We even dropped it the other day and its fine.

See our review on our YouTube channel: ymediaperth

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 28 Sep 2012
J. Brown "jimbro325" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a network drive of NAS, this isn't really what you want

I was looking for a USB3.0 multi-drive solution as I already have a NAS box on my network.
After reading all the reviews, I decided on this one and I'm not disappointed.
It just does what it's supposed to

I have it set up in RAID 1 configuration and I use it solely for my backup for my laptop.
It runs reasonably quiet(has 2 x 1.5TB HDD fitted)
It is tiny, not what I expected. It's almost half the size of my D-Link NAS box so it doesn't take up much space at all.

Fitting the drives was simplicity itself. Took about a minute.
Power up(after setting the drive mode using the dip switches on the back panel) and off you go

If you are looking for a simple USB storage solution or RAID backup, then I,d recommend this

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor instructions, 18 Aug 2012
Mr. Paul J. Spencer (Worthing,West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
The instructions that come with this device are somewhat incomplete and basic. It states pretty much plug it in and switch it on then Format! WRONG. It mentions nothing about the need to 'Mount' the new drive, create partitions etc. I was left wondering why the hell it wasn't working. Windows didnt detect it or anything >:( After going round in circles for 3 hours I had to bin the instructions and search online.

Apart from that 10/10. Does what it says on the tin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raid Storage Enclosure, 31 July 2012
I needed a very large hard drive as my 3tb drive was full.The only way to go was to get a raid storage enclosure. this enclosure has a very quick transfer speed. It stays cool and does not overheat like the first one I bought and returned. It is well designed with a grid at the front which help to keep it cool.
It has light on the front which shows you that both drives are working together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great enclosure, 6 Jan 2012
I had 2x 750gb hdd hanging around and wanted to use them as a bit of extra storage for my htpc. The enclosure is very well made although mine did have a little dent on the very corner of the case at the rear. This would normally bother me but is was only tiny and would never see it so decided to forget about that one little imperfection. I have set it to raid 1 just for a bit of peice of mind although nothing important will be going on it as I also have a HP server running Debian with 4x 2tb drives in raid 5. It is a little noisey, for example in my room I have my server with the 4 hdd's with a 120mm fan and I can barely hear the fan and happily sleep with it on each night. I also have a gaming pc with 2x 200mm fans, 2x 120mm fans and also a fan on each GTX 580 graphics cards and I can actually hear the icybox over the pc while running.. I have decided to give the scythe mini-kraze fan a go as it's only 6 so guess it's worth a shot. I wouldn't let the fan noise put you off the enclosure though it really is a nicely made solid peice of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Going Well So Far, 20 Dec 2011
John L (Chesterfield) - See all my reviews
Simple to assemble with disks, plug and play after that. I have it plugged into my Asus router which restricts the speed more than I'd expected. It's USB2, but I'm only getting about 25% of the USB2 maximum. I'm told this is a normal for router hosted USB enclosures.

The fan is a little noiser than I'd hoped, but by no means loud. I suspect that I notice it more because it's sitting in a relatively quiet location. After reading another buyer's post, I replaced the original fan with the model he recommended. However, using the simple sound meter on my iPhone, the noise levels were identical before and after. Ah well, it was worth a try...

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and effective, 4 Dec 2011
I put two 1Tb drives in this and run it as RAID 1. Worked immediately - just put the drives in and switched it on. Great peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, 24 Aug 2011
I bought this a little blind, as it seems to be a fairly new product with not a lot of following.
I wanted a RAID 1 external device with a bit of future-proofing. USB3.0 will in my opinion take over from most other high speed interfaces, perhaps not the fastest, but probably the most supported.
Anyway that said, on to the device. I have put 2 x 2TB SATA green drives in it, and its working perfectly. The fan is adequate, I'm running this in the summer of Spain with no air-con, and it's doing a decent job. The device is well made, albeit as flimsy as the rest of these boxes really -- but it doesn't matter at all, it's job is to sit on a desk, it's not a portable HDD caddy.
I'm running this over USB2.0 so can't comment on speeds, but as a backup/storage device, it's fine.

The LED's are not in your face, the only thing I could say is bad is the power supply connection. It's very weak and could easily be knocked out, but put the drive in a sensible place and this shouldn't be a problem.

So that's all I can say really, it's a good external RAID device with a good high-speed interface although few will be able to make full use of it yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice Cool, 27 July 2011
Nice piece of kit, suprisingly small and compact. Very easy to install the two hard drives and it worked straight out of the box. USB3 connection makes file transfer very quick.