4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
I got this game about a month ago and have really enjoyed it so far. I wanted a game that was fun and light-hearted but also one that was in-depth enough I could get lost in it; being a Final Fantasy lover I was hoping for something similar!

Published on 27 Aug 2010 by Sophie

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks interesting with decent class build mechanics, but awful with artificial difficulty methods of design.
I just don't like the way the bosses in the game are made harder as you progress simply by giving them multiple attacks in 1 turn for no real reason, i quit playing it after the bosses were doing 3 attacks for artificial difficulty sake, nothing to do with a speed stat or anything either, they just get multiple moves per turn because they are a boss, workable and by no...
Published 4 months ago by Lewis Philp

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 27 Aug 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)

This game is really good at easing you into it, starting off with simple tasks before you get into the real stuff. The monsters can be quite tough later on if you don't take time to level up enough in-between story-points, but it doesn't get too monotonous levelling up. I didn't realise when I bought the game that you basically create your own party in 1P mode; I thought characters joined you as you went along. While this is fun because you get to design your party members' looks and choose which skills they pursue, it does mean they are relatively non-descript, just to use as healers/attackers etc, rather than having any part in the story at all.

Overall the game is really good, I have just managed to aquire a ship to explore further and feel like even though I've spent a lot of time playing there is still a lot further to go. Doing side-quests bulks the game up further and it has kept my interest well, I would definitley recommend this game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave new direction, 23 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It's a brave new direction for Dragon Quest. Much has been made of making this for DS, but I'm happy to report that it works well. If anything, it taps into DS's strength.

The beginning is a cliché : I started the game by customizing my main character, walked, talked and battled as you do, and it took a while to get to grips with the story and system. I was never quite sure how I should develop my character with the skill system, somewhat akin to DQ8. I stuck to the old RPG wisdom of "stick to the skill you started to develop", and narrowed down to 1 weapon skill and 1 class skill. A pretty good wisdom (to start off with, that is).

Some hours into the game, just as I begun to wonder whether I've missed the chance to form a party, I went through some events and an inn opened for business - I formed a party of 4, and the rest is history - I forgot myself as I got drawn into obsessively chasing that next big thing. I often talk about replay value in reviews. I won't this time; exhausting it the first time is long enough that you'd go truly mad to replay the lot.

The crux of the obsession for me boils down to 2 things: skill development and equipment upgrades. The main story is not the strongest I've seen, but it's intertwined with bewildering number of quests and character-development elements. The pace is set from around when you make your party, and after that you will find yourself obsessively pursuing your desires until you forget where on earth you were in the story. I actually recommend this sidetracking from the main plot. I can say that it's a great way to enjoy it, with the benefit of the hindsight.

It isn't without its faults. Developing your character means the story gets easier when you return to it, and I would say that the game could use a bit of 'balancing'. Just strengthening the monsters in the story will do. Square-Enix may have done this deliberately, though, to welcome casual gamers as they might otherwise find the story too hard.

Any misgivings I might have had on that never got in the way, as I became overwhelmed by the sheer volume of content. There is the usual "sense of journey" in this game, of trotting across large plains of grass, desert, snow and mountains, watching the classic monsters roam around freely. The world is split into large zones and the sense of scale is well expressed.

As you get to grips with the game, you would always find a reason to get skills and equipment. There's always that special something to camp and upgrade. It's obsessive enough in the single player, it gets even more so if you start to adventure with your friends in multiplay as you tend to 'compete' a bit when you have friends to show off to. I suggest sidetracking and pursue more items and skills in between the 'segments' - after forming your party, unlocking Ranger/Battlemaster, and unlocking Paladin. It's more fun that way. Multiplayer enhances the joy, but not necessary.

After the main plot more features become available, one of which is the hundreds of treasure maps. There are normal maps, and boss maps which host a dozen of the big bosses from old DQ series. Higher level maps are harder, and boss maps can be made harder with progressing levels; past level 95, some of these big bosses are mind-numbingly hard. Good luck formulating your own strategy to bring them down. There are also additional quests you can get from Square-Enix server, as well as shopping for fancy items. Another memorable feature was the hidden alchemy, which was insanely hard but extremely rewarding.

What we have yet to see is the extent to which the guest-visit system ("contact mode") will spread here. You run DQ9 in stand-by mode and carry it in your pocket or bag. When you walk within several yards of other players, you exchange a copy of your avatar, who carries the map as a gift. Your inn grows in size as you collect more guests and you get rewards for that too.

The beauty of this is that you're doing it with complete strangers you walk by. It's hard to discover all the maps on your own, so exchanging them is a great idea for DS in your pocket. Obviously, the more people walk around with this game the better this will work. I managed to easily fill 3 new guest slots every time I crossed the big road in central Tokyo, but that's because it's that popular there. We don't know yet whether that will happen here.

Alas, as all good things must come to an end, it felt like I was leaving a large chunk of me behind in the DQ world. When I put it down, over-exhausted, I noticed that single + multiplayer together I had clocked up 300+ hours. Whether that's a good thing, I'll leave it to your judgement, but this amount of content in a DS game is truly remarkable - SquareEnix surely are serious with DQ9 and it shows; this was no gimmick. Heck, it's probably one of the most full-blown games ever on DS.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great RPG, 12 Nov 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I play a lot of rpg games however don't own many on the ds. This is certainly a great game with lots of gameplay and the story continues once you finish the main storyline. You can change classes easily which is a good aspect and although you can't change your own players features once you create him/her at the beginning you can create your own guys that adventure with you which is pretty cool. And all weapons and armour is interchangeable which means you can change their costume which is a really good thing as you dont have to keep looking at the same guys throughout the whole game. Some bosses are a bit difficult at first but it's mostly a very good and very playable game. There is a lot of multilayer gameplay too which is good if you have wi-fi or another person with the game near you, but for those who dont (like myself) that section of the game remains distant although I am told it is very good :)
Even if you havent played any other dragon quest game like me it's still a very good game and if you like rpg's then I would suggest this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it., 12 April 2011
J D Tilston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Having played the last two DQ games I knew I was coming to a title I'd enjoyed before, but hearing that you could create your own characters etc I was a little concerned that they'd taken a formula that worked and wrecked it, like they did when Final Fantasy X came out, but they haven't. Creating your own character only means dressing it up and making it look like you want it to, as does creating any others. It hasn't affected gameplay or anything like that.
The story in this is lovely. You have to go round doing good deeds for people and releasing the souls of them when they die so they can go on to the other side and not be left in limbo. This allows you to rebuild your way back to where you come from. It has the same rest in the inns and save in the churches that the others had and the looking in all places for items and talking to all the NPCs there are to get info, but I love all that so that's fine by me.
I have had to wait ages to get this as I'm a 50 year old woman with plenty of more important things to pay for first like food for example,but it's been so well worth the wait. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 3 Aug 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As a person who has never played a dragon quest game before I relied on online reviews to guide me upon whether to buy this or not. I would definitely recommend it for anyone over the age of about 9 as the game play is simple and easy. It has good graphics and a long story which is great for those of us who appreciate long term appeal. It has similar game play to pokemon, however a different storyline and I think that this game is completely worth buying

5.0 out of 5 stars great game, 27 Feb 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
got lost at the beginning and didnt know where i had to go, thats what you get when you dont read the instruction manual, first time i played this type of game as well so found the battles strange, but now so into the game i dream of it. The cause of many a late night. Great game!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 4 Sep 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
very good game great gameplay and the storyline will always keep you guessing the only downfall i would say there is to this game is grinding you have to grind a lot of the time to be of a level where you can kill a boss because they do insane damage to you you have to heal and you get 1 hit in before you have to heal again midway through the game though you can change profession from Minstrel to something else which i found good because that way you could play to suit your tastes be it Mage Warrior Minstrel (war lighter armor and heals) but there are many professions to choose from at first and others later on after certain quests are completed there is plenty to do in Dragon Quest if you look hard enough sometimes you need to go somewhere at night and theyll be someone who starts a sidequest line so theres never a dull moment in the game the fact you can choose the looks of your character sex and armor is pretty good but obviously for practical use you have to pick the armor with the highest defence when going against a boss all in all great game 5/5 definatly worth buying if your a rpg/mmorpg or final fantasy fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Most amazing game EVER!!, 1 Sep 2013
I don't usually write reviews, but this game is epic!

You start off as a guardian angel, but you take a massive fall from the observatory into the village you protect. There you meet Erinn and the entire story unravels.

You have to fight monsters, and when you get to Stornway, you get members in your party, you customize them.

One of the good things are you get to customize you're character, male
or female, and you get to change your clothes into other things.

Another great thing is you get to alchemise things as well as buying them, but thats only after youve defeated Morag (the 3rd boss).

It is by far my favourite RPG game and possibly the best game Ive played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense Game, Excellently Crafted, 23 Aug 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is impeccable. Fantastic. A Masterpiece.

The game has an excellent story, which to complete will span at least 30hrs if not closer to 40hrs, the story itself containing several bosses, at least 13 within the main adventure. The animation sequences that depict the story are beautiful to watch, and create an excellent story to play through.

These bosses are no easy feat, getting more difficult as the game progresses, with the end bosses being nightmarishly challenging to beat.

However, even after completing the main adventure you will be nowhere near 100% completion of the game, there are over 100side quests, maybe even over 200, I'm still playing through them, and the game is highly addictive.

If you complete all the sidequests, there is still more to do. In the game you can find treasure maps to go seeking new items and equipment on a treause hunt in dungeons and other kinds of areas. At the end of these treasure maps, there is a boss, giving the game well over 30bosses to play through and defeat.

The multiplayer is fantastic, having yourself and three friends play in any of your games is a riot, and can help you level up quicker or you can just pilfer their map for things you can't yet attain in your own game.

The map is enormous, with continents to adventure through and new things, items and places to discover. There are too many things to write in expressing how great this game is, so I'll stop here, with the end note being: Buy it, it's hard to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon quest IX, 26 July 2010
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I think this game is utterly brilliant, it always gives. For the first time i have ever played on a Dragon quest, i was overwelmed as i havent noticed the series before.

Dragon quest is fun, querky and sometimes funny. If you like RPGS this game go's down your street, but if you like other game genres this game you might like it.

The monsters i love, they are so imaginative and the graphics make them look brilliant. I am astounded as they have put a brilliant, massive, and really good graphics all into a tiny catridge.

This game is really good and fun, the story is massive and you can go out of a city and fight loads of cool monsters.

This game is for 12 to well any age. i think that this is the best game ever on ds.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)