Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 July 2010
9.30 in the morning and this album was blasting out in a nearly deserted high street music store, I had no idea who had created this music but in the space of three tracks I was hooked. The backdrop to these songs is Phil Spector big and the vocalist streches himself to the very limits of his capabilities, honey dripped to growling rasp. Sure you can pick out the places where the inspiration for the styling of these tracks came, but the guy never seems to borrow from a legend and come away looking anything but credible. I have the feeling this album is going to be played on a loop in my home, car, workplace for many months. For me the album of summer 2010.
on 23 July 2010
I too was really looking forward to the new album after being at the Sheperds Bush gig a few weeks ago. I read some real bad reviews last week, including one from NME.

Its actually a great album, very different from anything I've heard before. Refreshng considering the dross that is pumped out these days which we are told is "great music".

These journalists seem to have a personal vendetta against Ashcroft, possibly they feel he's too big for his boots.

If you like his previous solo material, dont have any doubts about buying this album, its a winner!
on 25 July 2010
After his last, fairly weak, in my opinion, solo album, and a verve album that was just OK, I was not expecting anything great here. How wrong I was, Ascroft gives it 100% here, and then some, with great support form quality musicians and production. It's a very strong and uplifting sound, especially on the first 2 powerful tracks, but there is not a duff track on here. One of the best albums I've heard for a long time. Can we have more artists like this please?
on 24 July 2010
Richard ashcroft just keeps putting out quality album after Quality album , and once again he has done himself proud , To be able to carry the burden of the Verve reputation hanging over him to then produce a brilliant album like this with quality songs from Are You Ready , Born Again , Americaright through to She Brings Me The Music , Glory,and Let My Soul Rest, The man is a undervalued genius , get the album ... Listen to it , Love it ...
on 19 July 2010
I was shocked to read in many music magazines that this album had been criticised harshly! I couldn't disagree more - this album is consistently strong and includes absolutely great songs such as Are You Ready, Born Again and She Brings Me The Music - in my opinion Richard Ashcroft has done extremely well. Personally - it just misses the peak of The Verve in terms of quality.
on 7 February 2014
As a fan of the verve and Ashcroft's solo work, I thought I'd pick this up on the cheap, and I wasn't disappointed to say the least.
The overall feel of the album is that of the Verve's album 'Forth', being fairly different from the classic tracks from the late 90's early 00's, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. The majority of the album is solid, with some really catchy songs such as 'Royal Highness' and 'Born Again'. Though there are some hit/miss songs that some will love some will not (Glory, Let my soul rest). I personally found most of them to be perfectly fine, though among friends opinion was divided.
All in all, If you like the verve, then this album shouldn't disappoint, If you don't like the verve, why not give it a try, It's different enough that you just might like it.
on 28 June 2012
Ok I'm biased as a long time Verve fan and then Richard Ashcroft's solo stuff. This is another quality addition to his musical works...and to anyone's CD collection. Hard to pick a favourite track, but 'Are you ready' is stunning. Buy!
on 31 August 2010
Okay, first off, i own everything Richard Ashcroft has ever released. Urban Hymns is obviously majestic and a career high. All his solo albums have had moments of greatness (On a Beach, anyone?) and the last Verve album, although ultimately disappointing, was a qaulity album. This, though, (apart from song1) is an absolute embarrasment. Seriously, the other members of the Verve must have pissed themselves when they heard this. No wonder they split, if this was the kind of stuff he was bringing o the table. Most of this album is just plain awful, really, we're talking Bryan Adams territory. Hip hop beats, 80's guitar solos and a singer with a messiah complex. Two weeks after i bought this album, after giving it two weeks every day in the car, i thre it from the window, shortly followed by the cover. Nuff said. Oh yeah, it's in a bush just outside Ellesmere if anyone want to go and get it.
on 29 July 2010
All farewells should be sudden - so spake Ashcroft in a previous life. And I actually believed it with the general downswing of his solo career - and on some level hoped that it would stay that way. Having had a full 10 years since "Alone With Everybody" which was such a great first step ultimately let down by "Human Conditions" and then the unlistenable "Keys to the World" - I just assumed that a solo career repackaged as pompously as "RPA and the United Nations of Sound" would be Spinal Tap-esque in delivery.

And, amazingly, it is not - and really quite enjoyable with the flourishes of hip-hop and soul to be found within its 56 minutes. Is it pompous? Sure, in places. Is it plaigaristic? Yes - and it's interesting to hear Ashcroft now plaigiarize himself (see the kickoff of "Are You Ready" where it sounds like we're going to hear "Bitter Sweet Symphony (New Millennium)" but ends up stealing riffs from "Sympathy For the Devil"; also see "America" which seemingly steals significantly from 2000's "New York"). Is it as good as the Verve? No, but it should be enjoyed on its own merits, which are not inconsiderable. "This Thing Called Life" is a great moment, as is "Life Can Be So Beautiful" and "Good Lovin'". No song on here is less than good, and I think this will continue to grow on even the hardcorest Verve fan.

Highly recommended. Don't cancel my subscription to the resurrection.
on 24 August 2010
this album veers very close to 1 star territory and is only saved by the first two (excellent) songs,the rest are middle of the road drivel that doesnt sound anything like his past work with the verve.i've no problem with an artist trying new sounds but time and time again ashcroft fails to deliver,its all so safe and bland.i though the verve's 2008 comeback was excellent and underrated standing up well to the previous albums but without nick mccabe to reign him in he just doesnt cut it im afraid.