on 13 August 2014
Arrived promptly. I was a bit surprised when the jack did not seem to be gripped properly by the earphone socket on my laptop, as if it had not been pushed in far enough: it pulled out too easily. I then found a bit of plastic jutting out over the metal and realised that it could prevent full insertion. I cut the excess plastic off and then the plug went in fully. So quality control in the manufacturing process needs to be improved. However, there was no problem with the socket end, and the cable worked well after that. I have the impression that material is not of the highest quality, which may affect its expected life. But that's compatible with the very low price for this product. Still good value for money.

Several feedback reports mention the discrepancy between the quoted uncoiled length of the cable (4m) and the usable length due to coiling, so I tried pulling it as far as I could without pulling the laptop off its support. It stretched to about 1.8m with fairly high tension, and a considerable amount of coiling left, which is reasonable for a coiled cable. By applying considerably more force I was able to stretch it to about 2.8m, though I would not normally wish to use it with that much tension. I think the product description should state: "Length prior to coling 4m, usable length after coiling 1.8m to 2.8m. The shorter length is enough for my purpose, and the fact that it is coiled simplifies storage without tangling, etc.

I was a little surprised at the weight of the cable. This is because it is significantly thicker than most headphone cables. The thickness is presumably required to enable the cable to maintain its coiled state, as in the picture.

Summary: works fine with headphones. Used stretched to more than about 1.8m requires considerable tension, possibly unsafe for lightweight laptop resting on a table.
on 26 August 2011
The extension lead is fine and delivery was prompt. Only thing to remember with coiled leads is that the quoted length is for when it's tightly stretched, ie uncoiled.

So ... allow for some slack, or your headphones will want to fly off towards the amp/TV :)
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2012
I wanted this to extend the lead length of earphones when using my iPhone. I hoped the coiled design would avoid excess trailing leads.
The first thing to note that if you use the official iPhone earphones (white with volume control in lead) they do not work. This is because these have 4 connections on the jack. It plugs in OK, but sounds extremely tinny and distorted. Cursing that I'd bought a duff lead, I tried out 2 alternative earphones and both of these worked absolutely fine - but these have a 3 connection jack. (You can count up the "metal layers" separated by insulating black plastic.) So check the jacks on the leads you want to extend to ensure they are suitable.
With regard to the coil, it works OK for me, but as a reviewer has already pointed out pulling too hard to uncoil can pull out the jack! In my case (I use the iPhone in a holder at the side of my drum kit) I can secure the lead partway along the coil against a drum, and this gives me the correct length, without trailing leads. So works for me, fine.
on 31 July 2015
Proper headphone cable, like back from the 70s; curvy, funky, flared afro cable, not like your modern day skinny cables. This cable's got groove too - they're not like your average, limp headphone cable, hanging wearily from your ears, just oozing aloof disdain at the ease at which they perform their task - like so much hi tech does these days. It isn't just me is it? Tech is definitely getting more arrogant don't you think? But hey, let's not dwell, because this bad boy brings some good old boogie to house; plug them in and they just can't help bouncy and bopping and bringing some swing back into the listening experience.
So how does it do this? Well it's good old old school science: modern headphone cables use all their energy and resources being 'longer'. What this headphone extension lead does is...coil. Ok, I know it might sound very technical, but basically it means the cable bunches up coz it just ain't cool to be trying too hard, so why be stretching yourself for the man if he ain't prepared to stretch for you? So, all the energy that is saved doing this, and here's the clever part, is used to get its freak on the beats and do some serious jumpin' jack flash.
It makes me feel like I'm not dancing alone.
But don't be deceived by the playfulness of the 'coils' though, when it comes to doing the business they literally 'spring' in to action going long just when you need it. These easily stretch from my iPod to my bedroom mirror, which I find handy for those times I like to practice my 'sexy approach' dance moves.
Great for pretending you're a cyborg, CIA agent or have a tail too.
I would have given it 5 Stars but it doesn't come with a wireless option.
on 23 May 2011
It sounded like such a good idea. Forget all that trailing cable nonsense and come and go as you please. That wasn't the case.
Positives first though. The sound is fine and dandy for the price. It's not stunning but neither is it awful and at that price it counts as pretty good. Looks ok too if you care about that sort of thing.

The drawback is a biggie though. The spring in the coil is too strong for the mini-jack ports. Sat by the screen trying various pieces to test the audio, as you do. Hmm not bad, lets stick on something longer and take advantage of my new found length by lying on the bed (oo-err mrs). Turned to the bed, which as I type this I can touch, without stretching my arm at all, and was suprised to find extremely loud music blaring out of the speakers in the small hours of the night. After all the alarums and excursions died down I tried again at very low levels and whilst paying attention to the cable. Same thing happens, although less angry household this time. Do it in the front port of the tower and it's not any better. A couple of steps and ping. If you go easy you will lose one channel then the other but lose them you probably will. I think mini jack points are just not robust enough for this. It may work if you are prepared to crawl around the back of the box to plug in to the port there since it pulls at a different angle then I suppose. Seems to defeat the object if a convenience becomes a pain in the bum to use though. Don't like the idea of that much stress going through what's already a pretty shabby choice for an industry standard.

To sum up, at some point the strength of Young's Modulus of elasticity outstrips the tribological capacity of your jack points and the music's over.

If it eases with use I will update, doesn't seem worth the hassle of sending back and it does work after a fashion. I did try and give it a few stretches at the time but it didn't noticeably ease off.

(I guess the mini jack was deliberately designed to slip out easily as a cable saver?)
on 13 January 2011
This cable is good quality. I use it for my 5.1 surround sound system and have no problems with the cable. A good investment.
on 7 June 2016
A good value, in fact incredible value product, but strangely enough only works one way round!......if I plug it in in reverse, I only get mono sound! Folds up really small too which is exactly what I wanted.
on 7 May 2016
Had this in use for a week and already had problems with the volume dropping in one ear with my headphones. Attach my headphones directly and no problems, so I'm requesting a refund on this cable

It's also too tightly coiled so you actually only get a metre extension at best before the stress pulls the jack from the socket, not even close to the 4 metres marketed.
on 23 June 2016
Pretty tough this, like the ones we used to have back in the 70's and 80's, I use them when my wireless headphones are out of charge, very handy and so cheap for the quality.
on 15 February 2015
For some reason this cable smells like when a mouse crawled under my bed and died.......had to replace the bed and cut out a pice of the carpet to get rid of that smell. Also the coil on the cable is real tightly sprung, i.e. has a lot of tension so yeah it extends but you have to hold it with one hand so it doesnt pull my headphones out of my ears. Pretty useless for anything light, seeing as its a small jack extension that probably most things you can use it for.

See one answered question