5.0 out of 5 stars HP Wireless All-in-One Printer
Published on 28 Nov 2010 by TheSpanns

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with MY BTHome hub
Published on 4 Dec 2010 by A. M. Hogan

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Wireless All-in-One Printer, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: HP CN245B Photosmart Wireless e-All-in-One Printer (Electronics)
The product itself is excellent and the service from Amazon equally excellent. The only I would say is that the HP support associated with the product is abysmal. It's fair to say that this product is quite new to market an HP don't have an appropriate capability to support it. It uses wireless networking but comes preconfigured with it's own IP address so you have to overcome this little hurdle before you even get it connected to your wireless network, and the support from HP with respect to this is non existent. There are however a number of excellent support forums out there and with enough searching you'll find the answer eventually.

You'll love the printer and it's features and shouldn't be put off by the technicalities of setting it up. Excellent price and service from Amazon.

Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent product., 6 Nov 2010
Mr. A. J. Walker (Edinburgh UK) - See all my reviews
Brought printer in the morning and had it set up by the afternoon. I found it very easy to set up no problems there. The printers wifi found my laptop (HP) and my daughters (Acer).
Just follow the instructions take your time and you should have no problems.
It comes with startup ink Magenta,Blue,Yellow, Black.
I sent numerous documents and photos via wifi with no problems, all were processes quickley.
Documents are printed quickley and the quality is very good,pin sharp print.

The unit is quite bulky and well built, it makes quite a few noises on start up but I guess it just getting them ready to print.

I was wanting a printer which prouduced excelent photo prints, and from the few A4 size Ive printed out I am more than very happy with the result, I used the supplyed HP photo paper that came with the printer to get you started. I also used tesco glossy A4 190gsm paper and the quality is superb on a full A4 sheet.

I set the printer to "other photo paper and best print quality in its setting menu, and the quality is as good as,if not better than your local photo booth in your supermarket.

The printer does not come with a USB cable But then it is a Wireless printer!

I would imagine the inks for this printer are as usual very expensive, but if you shop around Im sure you will be able to find them at a reasonable price.
So to sum up this is s superb printer any Documents are quickly and cripsly printed the photos are pin sharp and the colour is spot on, Shop around on the web for better prices for ink.

So far I have been very inpressed with this product and would recomend it.HP CN245B Photosmart Wireless e-All-in-One Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Ipad and BT Homehub2 compatible, 7 Jan 2011
new to broadband so installed BT homehub 2 no problems.
turned on I pad, it found wifi signal asked for passkey and now Ipad up and running on wifi.
Unpacked printer, went through on screen set up (inserting ink, head allignemnet etc) then printer asked if wanted to set up wifi. responded yes and it found BT homehub asked for passkey and voila,all connected. It then asked if I wanted to set up web printing,said yes, it dowloaded some additional software rebooted no problems.
Now for last test, Air Print, selected a page on ipad, pressed the arrow at top of screen for print option, I pad found printer, I select number of copies and hit print. The printer printed the page. fantastic all worked as hoped with no glitches whatsoever.
Print quality looks OK,
All of above set up with no additional cables/Cds/laptops. These 3 items are all compatible.
I know its early days but delighted so far.
Update, if you turn this printer off and then back on it asks if you want to set up wireless again, answer no this time because the printer already knows your wireless key. This saves you entering all your details again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK on BT Home Hub but requires setting up, 15 Jan 2011
A. Murphy "Reviewer" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
I'll not go over the good points as they've been covered in the other reviews. Suffice it to say this is an excellent printer for the money. It more than meets my requirements for colour printing and wireless access. I use it for my HTC Android phone as well as Linux and Windows boxes. The following tips may be useful:
1: I had great difficulty with the supplied software CD. I'd recommend downloading just the basic driver set from HP. The full software package does not like anti virus software (such as AVG) but I had no problems with the basic drivers.
2: Set the printer up on each PC using USB first. DO NOT connect the lead until prompted.
3: The printer should detect any wireless routers available and allow you to connect to them. For the BT Home Hub you just need the 10 digit WEP/WPS key on the back of the hub. Once connected, go to the Home Hub advanced menu > configuration and edit the devices list (you need the admin password for this). here you should see the printer listed as something like "HP805CD8". Select the type to be "Printer" and tick the box "Always use the same address" to ensure you have a permanent fixed IP address (this will be something like 192.168.1.x where x = whatever the DHCP server has allocated). The printer should have a fixed address from now on and you can type this into your browser and bookmark e.g. 192.168.1.121 and see the web based setup and diagnostics screen. You can also download two useful utilities from the HP site - HP Home Network and HP Printer Diagnostics. On connection to the router the printer may update itself, just follow the instructions on the small LCD display.
4: To set up the HP Photosmart (B110a) for wireless use on Windows just go to settings > printers and add as normal. I couldn't get the "standard" add a network printer to work but the following workaround is easy. Against what seems obvious, select "local printer" but add new port. Select TCP/IP as the port type and enter the fixed IP address that you got when setting up the wireless router. Try a test print.
5: For mobile phone use, download the HP iPhoto app which is available for all platforms. I've tested it on both a Nokia E51 (Symbian) and HTC Wildfire (Android)
6: For the linux boxes go to the HP site, select Linux as the OS and follow the re-direct. I downloaded the zipped tarball and extracted to a home folder then looked for the python install executable. Works a treat!

Finally, the web / email printing is very clever and may have a use for some people. You need to register with HP and get allocated a printer queue email address. Documents etc can be printed by sending as attachments in the email. You may also want to restrict access to known senders or else you could end up with all sorts coming out :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with iPad AirPrint and great performance overall, 2 Dec 2010
Quick review just to let peeps who need to know: I bought this a couple of days ago and it works with iPad 4.2 AirPrint. Works flawlessly. Its eprint functions are also impressive, being able to print my mobile phone pics by emailing them straight to the printer as attachments is cool also. With these functions, I find Im hardly turning on my PC anymore!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so nice !, 17 Oct 2010
Only had this a week, so long term stamina is still to be proved!
But so far, so good. It is a nice little printer with a good range of bells and whistles - including a choice of Wi-fi or USB operation- and lots of this and that in the software download. Incidently, to avoid any confusion over the model number, the printer is generally referred to the 'B110a' or just 'B110' and can certainly be found under this insignia in Ink cartridge sellers websites.
The outfit is fairly routine to install (mine took about 30 minutes during which
time there is nothing much to do except watch progress) The length of time may have been due to my stuffed up PC, so yours may install much faster. There are only very few occasions when a tab or radio button has to be clicked on as the entire installation mostly handles itself.
The build quality is about normal for this price range and the performance , at least to me, is startingly good. Printing quality is excellent and fast. It is like swopping a St.Bernard for a Greyhound. The touch screen is easy enough to follow and little difficulty should be encountered with average printing requirements.
I bought my model retail and fortunately the big regular stores, PC World , Staples, Comet etc are practically next door to eachother on my nearest business park, so price comparisons are easy to check. Be warned , in my case they varied by thirty quid! On-Line prices appear to be at the lower end of the scale but on top is of course P and P, delivery charges etc.
I am so far very pleased with my purchase - both operationally and in my wallet!
I am delighted to award my best accolade to this (new model) HP printer and hope you will have similar satisfaction.

Further to initial review: I have now had this printer model for over six months and it has proved to have the stamina for the job. When sent a print instruction it does, like many printers, seem to take a little long at times to get on the 'starting gate', with the usual clanking and clicking - but whats a few seconds? It is a good performer.
It is also one of the few printers around that has an 'E-print' facility. That is you can configure it to receive printing to carry out by an instruction from any email enabled device (mobile phone, tablet, i-pad et al) from anywhere in the world. The printer has it's own email address and your PC does not have to even be on for this action. This can be useful as if your home office is powered down when for example away for some time, just leave the printer on and you can take a photo with your mobile and on return home theres the result in the print tray !
I have furthermore found the ink consumption reasonable - no worse or better - if one can even measure this evaluation - than most other printers in this price range. I would certainly continue to recommend the HP B110.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent printer - small issues in OS X, 9 Nov 2010
Moohcowh (London, England) - See all my reviews
Purchased this at the weekend and I am very impressed with the speed and quality of it, it was very simple to set up on my network to my Airport Extreme Basestation and I was printing within 15 mins (it takes 5 minutes to sort itself out on first boot).

However there were some issues with getting the scanner to work over the wireless network in Snow Leopard (10.6), it needed a software update from Apple and a download of the latest drivers from HP to fix the issue, it only took 2 hours to work that out, but now it's working as expected on all my machines.

My 5 year old daughter loves the apps, she can go into the panel on the printer and print out colouring sheets from Dreamworks cartoons or naughts and crosses boards, there is a Disney app too, but according to HP there is a problem with it and it will not work in the UK, which is a big shame because it looks like a very good app.

The ePrint bit is excellent, I can now email documents that get sent from my iPhone straight to the printer and they're waiting for me printed as expected when I get back, there are some basic security settings to allow only people you want to print to it, but I can't see where you limit people to a particular type of printing (colour, black etc).

4.0 out of 5 stars Wireless works well with Macs, 15 Nov 2010
Barry Tennison "bari10" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This printer (HP Photosmart B110a, aka CN245B) works very well wirelessly connected to my home LAN, as a shared printer/scanner used wirelessly by two different Macs (both running OSX 10.6, Snow Leopard). Far from a joke.

Here are the steps that worked for me. Start up the printer and follow the display screen prompts to set it up and connect to a wireless Access Point (AP, Router). On a Mac wirelessly connected to the same AP (see Technical Note below) choose Print & Fax in System Preferences and click on + to add a printer. After a brief wait, the HP Photosmart appears in the list, using Apple's Bonjour protocol [this step works under Snow Leopard, but may not do so in 10.5 Leopard]. Select the printer, and a message appears asking if you'd like to download driver software for it from Apple. I did this, and the software auto-installed. I did not use HP's CD nor their downloads.

From that point on, the printer was available to the Mac and worked fine, including through sleep or reboot by printer or Mac. The easiest way to access the scan function, and things like monitoring of ink levels and head cleaning, is through the printer's web interface; I can link to this via System Preferences - Print & Fax - select the printer - Options & Supplies - Show Printer Webpage; for me, it's [...] and of course can be bookmarked.

Technical Note: the only quirky feature I found is that the wireless printing and control works only if the printer and the Mac are on the same wireless segment (that is, connected to the same (B)SSID). This will not be a problem for anyone with a simple wifi setup with one router/AP. I actually have two wireless segments on the same IP subnet, and printing/control will not work with the printer and Mac wifi-connected to different segments; even access to the above url (or its IP address equivalent) does not work. This may be a matter of my particular network configuration, and is in any case pretty easy to work around.

Note that by the above method, I have not installed the drivers and software available direct from HP. But I'm perfectly happy with the results, and I like to conserve disk space. I've yet to find any function of the printer that I'm missing. YMMV.

I think this printer is very good value (although the inks are as expensive as most others). The print quality is good, especially if you use decent paper. Scanning works fine. I give four stars rather than five because the build quality is not stunning (what can you expect for the price?), and the printer is a bit slow to start up and a little noisy. Note that this report is after only one week of use - I cannot yet know about the longer term. But so far, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer, 11 Oct 2010
Just bought this last week. Very easy to set up. Print quality excellent and much faster than older models. Good value for money. V pleased and would definitely recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with MY BTHome hub, 4 Dec 2010
A. M. Hogan (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this printer after seeing the mostly excellent reviews. I had problems straight away trying to connect to my wireless network; the printer would literally Blue Screen with an error code, then reboot itself and you'd have all lights flashing. I Googled the error code and there are many forums reporting other users with the same problem, and various workarounds mainly involving reconfiguring the home network, getting rid of DHCP, etc. I didn't want a 'workaround', I wanted the printer to work as expected so I raised a case with HP and their response is below:-

"Solution:
I would like to inform you that if you are using a BThomehub router, then there is a compatibility issue with the router and hence, facing this issue. I request you to connect through USB till a firmware update is available."

I am indeed using a BT router so returned this printer to the shop that I bought it from as I want a wireless printer, not one that I have to connect via USB.

Based on the other reviews and the price I am sure that it is a good printer, unless like me you are a BThomehub user, in which case it just doesn't work as a wireless router.