4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Temptation
Published on 10 Sept. 2010 by Amy

1.0 out of 5 stars Body positive? Not after reading this!
This book was about three "fatties" whose lives only improved once they started to lose weight.

According to the author, shedding the pounds is the answer to the perfect relationship, finding new love, promotion, confidence and even your own business! Gosh, for all the slim women out there who are unemployed or single, I wonder how YOU will achieve this...
Published 13 months ago by Princess Darkel

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Temptation, 10 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Paperback)
Sweet Temptation is about three women: Maddie, Jess and Lauren, all of whom are struggling with their weight as well as difficulties in their everyday lifes; from their jobs to their relationships with their partners and work collegues. Although the three of them don't know each other they are brought together by one thing - their desire to lose weight, so they all join a weight loss group and as they start their weight loss regimes they soon become close friends.

Each chapter of this books follows the story of one of the women and alternates between them with each chapter. This enables us to learn about each of the women's lifes and realationships away from the weight loss group aswell as reading about their meet up's with the other two women when they come together again.

This is a very written book based on a topic which I think most women will be able to relate to. Although, there are some more sensitive and serious issues explored in this book and therefore it is not the light-hearted read it may originally seem on first glance.

Overall, Lucy Diamond has produced a great story with three warm and loveable female characters all of whom are strong individual women who know their own minds and I look forward to seeing what next book will bring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, heart warming and a great read, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Kindle Edition)
I have to confess to not being a fan of chick lit. I am more a crime thriller type of reader. But reading the reviews from others persuaded me to take the plunge and give it a go.

I am so glad I did! The book tells the story of 3 women, Maddie, Jess and Lauren. All of them quite different, with different lives. They come together at 'FatBusters' as the one thing they have in common is the desire to lose weight.

We follow their journeys, with each chapter focusing on one of the 3 women. It's a very funny book, great observations about how society views being overweight and how it affects them personally. It also has darker moments, and it's very sad in parts too.

I am definitely going to read more of the authors books, and I might now be converted to the world of chick lit.

All in all a really enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming chick lit then you can identify with, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading the other reviews and am so glad I did. I read it in 2 days and loved it. Lucy Diamond is my new favourite author after reading this. I felt any woman could identify with at least one aspect of the book. There was some surpising heart warming moments in the book that i was not expecting. The characters were all very likeable and you really do want the best for them all throughout the book. All in all a very good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had me beaming the whole way through, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Paperback)
This is the first time I'd come across Lucy Diamond, after seeing it reviewed in a magazine and thought i'd give it a try.

I absolutely loved it, the three female characters are so real and wonderful in their own way...I could completely relate to it as I imagine most of us can with always trying to lose a few pounds whilst trying to stay sane and have a life...the way she describes the woman's relationships and their new found friendship is just superb, sharp and funny...

I took this on holiday with me last week and am now ordering another Lucy Diamond to take on my next trip!

5.0 out of 5 stars totally engrossing!, 30 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Paperback)
I've just finished this book in less than a day - fair enough, I was poorly-sick and in bed so didn't really have to do anything else, but I don't think I'd have been able to put it down even if I'd been fighting fit!
It's an interwoven tale of three women living in Birmingham, who come together through circumstance and forge a friendship and support group that helps them all transcend the problems they face - which are not simply weight-related. It's very uplifting, but in no way facile - there are real tragedies in this story as well as eventual and hard-won triumphs. All three women are extremely relatable and well delineated, you're privvy to their inner thoughts and insecurities, and their relationships with the people around them are convincing and detailed.
I think the author has tapped into something very important - the way women's feelings of self-worth get mixed up with everything else in their lives - including weight and body image. All three protagonists are at an impasse - for a variety of reasons - and each of them needs help to move ahead. They get there in the end, and the insights the author provides through her characters are thought-provoking and optimistic in equal measure. A really lovely, warm, thoughtful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing read!, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Paperback)
At first I thought this would just be another awful kindle download but almost from the first page I realised this was different. This is definitely one of my favourite books and Lucy got it spot on with making the characters easy to relate to. All 3 of them were easy to understand yet unlike some books, they were 3 very different characters making it simple to tell them apart.
This is definitely a feel good book for me as I have just started my own "fatbusters". I would definitely recommend this book to the moon and back.

4.0 out of 5 stars A LOT of women will relate to this book!!!, 18 May 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Kindle Edition)
I vaguely recall reading a Lucy Diamond (by the way that's not her real name, its Sue Mongredien) that's her book a while back, but couldn't remember. I therefore decided to buy her fourth book that was published Sweet Temptation and try another one. I was extremely pleased that I did and now I know why her name rang bells! This book is based around three women, Maddie, Lauren and Jess. All three of them meet once they commit to both losing weight and getting fit. What they don't realise is that the three of them will become such good friends that their lives will change because of it.

Maddie seemed to be the most central character, well at least for me she was. She was certainly the most memorable! Maddie has a husband, two kids and a job working for Brum FM. Although her job may sound glamorous, her boss is awful and with both her boss and her Mum pressuring her to lose weight she finally gives in. In addition to Maddie there is Jess who works in a beauty salon and is engaged to Charlie. All Jess wants is to lose a little weight for her big day. The last character is Lauren who is a bitter divorcee who runs her own dating agency.

The book drew me straight in and I adored Maddie and Jess. I liked Lauren but after around a quarter of the book she just seemed to pale in comparison to the other two. What I think made this book so readable is the basis for the story. Weight loss is something the majority of women have experience with. Lucy Diamond has told their stories in such a way that you can laugh, cry and most certainly empathise with all three women. It took me just over a day to read this book as I was so engrossed. The author has made the characters easy to like, easy to read and most of all an enjoyable experience.

I absolutely loved this book and found it an absolute joy to read. We had nice characters, awful characters (I swear I knew a woman like Jess' boss!) and great storytelling. What more could we ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!!!, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Paperback)
I loved this book and didn't want it to end. I could empathise with the three main characters Maddie, Jess and Lauren having been a "fatbuster" and the trials and tribulations they go though create a bond between the girls that leads to a friendship which is very touching. Would highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Regular Fat Buster..., 4 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Kindle Edition)
We have all been there... Struggling to keep the pounds off, thinking salad belongs with the rabbits and thinking that eating a picnic bar substitute's one of your 5 a day. This book follows the lives of 3 women all struggling with their weight and deciding to join 'Fat Busters' to shift the pounds.

Maggie works in radio under a beautiful yet horrible boss called Colette who embarrasses Maggie by sending her to 'Fat Busters' as a part of her 'Making Birmingham Beautiful Campaign'. This coupled with an embarrassing mothers race at her kids sports day she decides it is probably time she tried to shift the pounds.

Jess is a beautician who works for a horrible boss who insists she doesn't fit into the parlous 'image' coupled with her controlling boyfriend who talks down constantly even postponing her wedding until she shifts the pounds. She is on a mission to get into a size 10 wedding dress to avoid the wedding being postponed yet again so off to 'Fat Busters' she goes.

Lauren owns a dating website yet after the breakup of her marriage she is starting to feel under qualified to give people advice on love. Without the comforts of marriage takeaways (plus a cat) have become her new best friend so she is joining 'Fat Busters' for a bit of self confidence and to shift those pounds.

Surprisingly, this book actually gave me motivation to go on a diet and even to venture to the gym. You can relate to all three of the girls throughout the book and I am assuming that Lucy has had some experience in the weight loss field as she describes the struggles and relapses perfectly. It was joys to see each of the woman's self confidence grow throughout the book. Not only does the book show the struggles of losing weight and keeping it off but it also goes deeper into the lives of the three women such as Maggie's marriage, jess's boyfriend troubles and Lauren's failing business. All three girls come together at 'Fat Busters' and actually manage to become great friends with the ability to help each other out along the way. Lucy Diamond creates amazing female characters, all strong women who are not afraid to show their soft side it is a truly inspirational read and does make you think about your own health and happiness throughout. I would recommend this book to anyone, regardless if they want to lose weight or not as it is a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !!, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Sweet Temptation (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on holiday in just over a day, easy to read and well written.

The three main characters all face different issues, however they are brought together through 'fatbusters' and their desire to loose weight. Each chapter is written from the perspective of one of the three women, enabling the reader to get to know them and thier journeys individually as well as their freindships to each other. It is both amusing and sad, so will have you laughing and crying in equal measures. I can personnally identify with a lot of the issues, as I am a member of a 'fatbusters' group, however you don't need to, to enjoy this book.
I will be looking out for more titles by this author.

Sweet Temptation