Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Blu-ray|Change

I was aware that this had mixed reviews, so I wasn't expecting anything too good, but loving cop films I wanted to give it a go. It's very much a mixture of The Wire, The Departed and Training Day, all of which I liked a lot.

It's set in a real "Project" in Brooklyn and has the same occasionally incomprehensible patois of the streets that made me wish for subtitles. It's the usual drug fayre, so you don't miss much by not understanding it all. One thing that struck me as funny was that the gangsters were total charicatures of what we've seen for so long - wearing enough gold to sink a battleship, funny hats at odd angles, baggy trousers halfway down their butts - it's all there. Maybe they really are like that.

The story follows three cops, each very different but with problems of their own. Ethan Hawke was his usual drug-addled looking self, Don Cheadle just seemed too nice to be a tough guy and Richard Gere looked too soft to have done 22 years on the streets. Despite all that, the stories came together nicely and the ending was nothing if not dramatic and bloody.

It's a film which could have been better, but which was by no means bad or a waste of time. If you like the three films/shows I mentioned at the start, you'll almost certainly like this.
on 5 September 2011
With a cast that includes Don Chedle and Richard Gere from the director of Training Day the expectations for this film were pretty high, well sadly this falls short of the brilliant Training Day but is still an enjoyable film. Solid performances from everyone including Wesley Snipes who has hopefully halted the terminal decline in his career. Three interesting stories leading up to how these three officers meet at the same crime should keep you interested till the end. A good watch.
Remincent of hit HBO series, The Wire, Brooklyn's finest is a slow burning film that follows the stories of 3 Brooklyn cops' as they struggle with the pressure of the job. Right from the opening scene the film sets the tension and has you wondering what the outcome will be for these 3 officers when it seems that being blue isn't black and white, but shades of grey.

An all star cast puts in a fine performance portraying wildly different characters, each with their own set of problems and outlook on the job and what being a cop means. The simple, menacing strings of the sound track add to the tension as the film slowly evolves and the characters and their stories, or should I say lives, unravel.

Richard Gere plays a burnt out cop, Ethan Hawke the officer turned bad in order to do good, and Don Cheadle completes the ensemble as the undercover cop stuggling with the conflict of what side he's actually on; after years on the street his homies have his back but the department seems to shaft him at every turn.

The characters might sound a little chliched written down like this, but on screen they come across as anything but. They all seem incredibly real, and the film does a great job of portraying how easy it for good men to sometimes make bad decisions but for the right reasons.

For those who are interested, the Blu Ray transfer is excellent and I really found the sound to be of excellent quality too - it was noticably better than most films I've watched, with gun shots making me jump and the bass rumbling my tummy and making my windows rattle. This really helped bring scenes alive - especially when you were 'in the hood' with the gangsters cooking up drugs in crack dens to a hip hop soundtrack.

The extras include the usual trailer and deleted scenes, as well as three 'making of' documentaries, entitled, Conflict & Chaos: The life of a New York City Cop; From the MTA to the WGA; Boyz N the Real Hood. But don't buy this film for the extras - buy it for the main feature.

As the film unfolds you'll find yourself on the edge of your seat and by the time the final set piece plays out, you'll be watching with a knot in your stomach. The locations are all great as are the supporting cast which includes Wesley Snipes, and this is another film that portrays the reality of life on the streets as a young black drug dealer with unflinching realism.

Anyone who likes intelligent film making will love this. Especially if hip hop or street culture are your thing. And even if your not 'down with life on the streets' and don't know your Jay-Zs from your P Diddys, Brooklyn's Finest is the perfect antidote to the usual drivel Hollywood churns out, and that we all usually complain about.

I write this review surprised by the negative response it has recieved on here - I fully expected there to be hundreds of 5 star reviews, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not sure why that is, as for me, Brooklyn's Finest was a fine piece of work. For once, it was nice to watch a film based on the essential building blocks of every great movie: good writing and a great story. Highly recommended. A+
on 18 November 2010
Most people who review this film seem to miss the whole point of it and also overlook much of the detail. I watched it at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Sure, there are partial similarities to other movies, but then what film can't be compared to another? The slow pace won't appeal to everyone, but I found it rivetting, and the climax is excellent. As most reviewers agree, the acting is superb, though in my opinion it's Ethan Hawke who puts in the best performance, with Don Cheadle and, surprisingly, Richard Gere, very close behind. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
on 28 October 2013
Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke and Wesley Snipes star in this film. Though it's more of a cameo role for Mr Snipes.

This is the story of three NYPD officers who are all in very different situations. We have one who seems to have had something of a pedestrian time of years on the force who is about to retire. Yet another is undercover and wants out from under, though his superiors seem to have other ideas. While the third is tempted to cross the line, with a plan to help himself to money from known drug dealers. This is due to the financial pressure he feels he is under in making things better for his family.

They are not directly connected to one another other than the fact that they all work in Brooklyn. They certainly don't mix socially. The film switches between each officer giving us an insight into each character in a smooth and dare I say easy to follow plotline, until we eventually come to the climax where all three find themselves in different parts of a complex of tower blocks of flats, at or around the same time. I liked it enough to watch it twice on the same day! Hence the 5 star rating. It's a well put together taught thriller/drama. If you happen to be looking for plenty of action, look elsewhere.
on 13 May 2016
I enjoyed aspects of this film, I like the way you dip in and out of different characters' lives, and I appreciate the slow pace and development of each story, but you expect the climax to unite the stories and give you some sort of "closure" for want of a better word. Ultimately though, it fails to deliver this. It appears as though each story ends up in the same place, but there is nothing that unites them, other than a slight cross-over in characters, and thus I feel the ending is somewhat disappointing.
on 18 November 2015
kept me on the edge of my seat and thank the lord don,t live or trapped in that lifestyle, I,m only guessing you die from being killed not natural causes and think it re-laid exactly how it easy to get into gangs and touch and go if you get out alive and how bent a lot of cops are. thought the way you never know who to trust nicely shown, life on a knife edge, intimidation and looking at for yourself against anybody, very well predicted
on 24 November 2015
3 Cops with differentoutlookson life. One who is waitingto retire. Another who is undercover. The other is out to get money - to try to grt a decent home for his wife and children. 2 bad cops one good - make your mind up. Well worth watching with a good cast.
on 4 September 2015
I have not seen it yet but it's got every angle when it comes to having a job and seeing different stories and I love how they all mix together I find it quite relatable and I think everyone else should too
on 28 February 2014
After watching probably the daddy of all dirty cop films,Training day. I have since been looking for similar films which offer me the same gritty viewing experience. This definatly delivers and really has twists i didn't see coming. Overall a really stunning and well balanced film that offered me the training day experience that i sort after.