5.0 out of 5 stars JIMMIE VAUGHAN'S PRODUCED A GOOD'UN HERE !
Published on 28 Jun 2010 by P. Clack

3.0 out of 5 stars Ballads and favourites but not enough blues...
Published on 7 Jun 2010 by G. E. Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars JIMMIE VAUGHAN'S PRODUCED A GOOD'UN HERE !, 28 Jun 2010
P. Clack "pete" (WITNEY, OXFORDSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I just love Jimmie Vaughan's music,he's among the very best guitar wise from his days with THe Fabulous Thunderbirds through various excellent solo projects to two very excellent albums with Doyle Dykes (Jimmy Reed Highway being the best and award winning disc) he's now got back in the studio with what must be his own band,I say this because they play so tightly they must be used to each other, plus extra vocals by Lou Ann Barton she who was in an early SRV band back in Texas.My wife thinks she sounds a lot like Imelda May,fine she's another great vocalist. Jimmie on this set has produced fifteen tracks of blues ,rock n roll,ballads and does what it says on the label and plays his favourites.As ever his guitar work totally unlke his late brothers,more restrained and not loud in the way Stevie Ray was but every bit as good and personally I enjoy him more,though taking nothing away from Stevie. So here songs like 'Lonely Weekends' the old Charlie Rich hit,Willie Nelson's 'Funny How Time Slips Away','Sent Me Some Lovin', plus three Jimmie originals give us a very enjoyable set that will get regular repeated playings.This is classy and excellently played music using various types of music from blues,country,rock n roll, pop favourites of the fifties that added all together give us a very satisfying album throughout

4.0 out of 5 stars An under-rated artist, 29 Jun 2013
Do you like your rock-and-roll traditional or more modern? Do your like your blues with grit or more mellow? This man can do it all. This is a varied and satisfying collection that touches his R-&-R Thunderbirds roots (Roll, Roll Roll) buts goes forward into other areas, such as the more soulful 'Funny how Time Slips Away' Certainly makes me want to hear more of this man's work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ballads and favourites but not enough blues..., 7 Jun 2010
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is Jimmie's first solo CD since the "Do you get the blues" 9 years ago. I was a big fan of the Thunderbirds - mainly for Kim Wilson's harp and vocals - but Jimmie and the the rest of the band obviously played their part in the straight ahead rockin' blues. I wasn't too keen on Jimmie's first solo record but I did really like "Do you get the blues" and "Out there" which both found him really hitting form as both a guitarist and a singer.

On this new CD he only contributes one new song, the 50s-style instrumental "Comin' & Goin'". The remainder of the CD features covers of 50/60s blues, R&B, rock and roll, country and pop songs from the likes of Little Richard, Jimmy Reed, Roy Milton, Willie Nelson, Doug Sahm, Roscoe Gordon and others. And while this makes for great variety and Jimmie is obviously really enjoying himself, I personally would have liked more blues - there is nothing on this record with the power, feeling and guitar attack of most of the tracks on "Do you get the blues" and "Out there". That said I did enjoy his and Lou Ann Barton's version of "I'm Leavin' It Up To You" - unreckonisable from Nino Tempo and April Steven's version - and I also really liked his subtle version of Roscoe Gordon's "Just A Little Bit". All the tracks here are OK but none really stands out and I hope his next CD finds him going back to more contemporary and harder-edged sounds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it will grow on me..., 15 Dec 2012
C. J. Brian "Chris" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
The guitar playing is excellent, without a doubt, adding to a collection of fine guitar playing. I didn't have a clue about Jimmy Vaughan's playing style or the material that he played, but first impressions were of first class musicianship being applied to material that I didn't really find all that enjoyable to listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable outing from JV!, 13 May 2011
J. C. Dunton (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
Although a big fan of guitar and Hammond B3 grooves and heavy bottom end of the rhythm section found on earlier JV albums such as Out There and Do You Get The Blues, this is an enjoyable excursion into some well chosen covers and standards topped up by a typically tasteful JV instrumental.
I guess with only one JV composition on the CD and the horn section to the fore on a number of tracks makes this a 4 and not 5 star album review.
Maybe a smokin' live album with his regular band will keep long time fans like myself smiling like JV himself on the cover of ... Blues, Ballads & Favourites!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome record, 30 Jun 2010
I've been waiting for this record for some time and finally got it via Amazon sooner than I would've from a local CD store.
The record arrived earlier than what was estimated (along with the other item), which was of course a very nice thing.

I like the record, it's everything I expected it to be and more.
The packaging was flawless.

Plays Blues, Ballads & Favorites