4.0 out of 5 stars I want to talk to you about Angels.
Published on 21 Jun 2010 by Rising Ape

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great
Published on 19 April 2011 by Ascribenz

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to talk to you about Angels., 21 Jun 2010
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (DVD)
Okay, so first thing first, I absolutely love Terry Pratchett and all things Discworld, however probably because of that I have high expectations when it comes to the adaptations. Hogfather was great, although of course the book is immensely superiour, Colour of Magic I wasn't a huge fan. Going Postal I really enjoyed, a lot of the actors were perfect (imo) for the roles, Charles Dance IS Vetinari (albeit a blonde one, but hey, we managed to get over the whole 'blonde bond' thing so why not Vetinari), Adora, Stanley and Reacher were pretty much as I saw them, Moist wasn't, but he grew on me and now whenever I re-read GP or MM I shall imagine him.

Going Postal does deviate from the plot of the book, in my mind there are only three major variations, one of which I think they got away with leaving out, another was a 'slight' deviation which I can see why they did it and it works for the screen, and the last that annoyed the hell out of me. But life isn't perfect, and books always lose something in the translation to screen. Saying that GP works

Of course one of the best parts about Pratchett's books are the footnotes, the little asides and further jokes and explanations to the reader, this was always my biggest problem with the idea of the adaptations, but with Going Postal I didn't miss them that much, this could have been because they weren't as fixed in my mind or numerous as with the Hogfather, which all the way through I kept remembering the asides that were absent in the adaptation.

All in all I really enjoyed it, and I hope they adapt Making Money soon (and by gods I hope they keep all of Gladys' lines). Yes it's not an exact adaptation of the book, but I personally prefer it to the COM adaptation and it's about even with Hogfather, and of the two I (of course) prefer the book but I have to admit it is a close thing, much closer than Hogfather and COM for sure. And I could enjoy it as something seperate-although eternally entwined to the Discworld. If you're a Discworld fan you should definitely see it, and if you've never heard of Terry Pratchett or the Discworld (where have you been?) I think this is definitely worth a look.
-Oh and watch out for Terry at the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures the book's essence well, 9 April 2011
D. Blackburn (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (DVD)
So much imagination goes into Discworld that a video adaptation can't capture everything. This does a fairly good job, leaving out a few plot details but capturing the crucial bits. The acting is good enough. I quibble with the casting for Vetinari - thinner and black hair, and I always imagined Drumknott as being elderly.
I don't really know if someone unfamiliar with the book Going Postal: A Discworld Novel would follow it easily - but if you haven't read it and you're here it's because you saw the program (Yank spelling) and liked it.
Technical Note: It is a Region 2 DVD for European players with PAL instead of NTSC. If you are looking to watch it outside Europe, it is a bit of work, but worth the effort. Just get an all-regions DVD player, or buy a cheap second player and assign its region code as Region 2 if you plan to watch a lot of British discs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you believe in Angels.....?, 28 Jun 2010
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (DVD)
As a devoted Pratchett fan I have watched the good, the bad and the ugly come to screen (the latter two mostly occuring in COM). For this third outing we see the unfortunately named Moist Von Lipwig narrowly avoid a hanging (and that's 'narrow' with a capital 'N') to awake to find he has a destiny to follow - the re-opening of the Post Office and all the problems that go with it. These problems include; escaping from his Golem Parole officer, Angua of the City Watch (werewolf), his arch enemy Reacher Gilt, and trying to get Adora Dearheart to go on a date with him. Yet all of these pale into comparison to the terror of the ancient letters that show his dark past and need deliverance.....literally!

As a huge fan of the books, I knew I would be a hard crowd to please. The Hogfather I loved, yet there was something missing from it, Colour Of Magic I disliked and would not watch again (mostly due to major casting errors), so I was hugely surprised when I found myself hooked watching this adaptation. Going Postal was one of my least favourite books, that I decided to give another chance when I found they were making a t.v. adaptation and grew to love.

There are obviously major flaws; the Post Office and the letters not getting enough time, and the deaths of the previous postmen being explained on the deadly banshee, Mr Gryle, instead of on the time-warping power of the letters and their need to be delivered. Also, the character of Moist and his people pleasing nature, his con-man skills did not seem apparent until the second part of it which also detracted from the major point of the book. The Golems are not right and look rather comical rather than intimidating. Oh, and don't forget Tiddles.....

However, for whatever reason they relinquished these points, they did so, and it was only looking back that I missed their presence.
I was hooked! The casting was near perfect and also inspired and unusual; Vetinari, Moist, Adora, Stanley, Groat, and especially Reacher (I've never seen Poirot so evil!) they were all brilliant. Even the smaller parts, such as Pony, were acted with brilliance. All the changes made were done so that the story could fit the screen (as always with Pratchett, the best bits are usually in the footnotes, the imagination, the witty asides and cannot be translated appropriately).

Overall then, a triumph! And definitely one I shall be purchasing and watching again! Let's hope that the next adaptation continues on this upwards slope.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (DVD)
It helps that I haven't read Going Postal in a while, but I quite enjoyed this adaptation. I thought the two leads were brilliant - I actually liked Adora Belle better in the film than the books - and I think even those who aren't familiar with the Discworld would have been entertained by it. Seeing the soft-spoken Hercule Poirot as a murderous villain with a deep voice was also a constant source of amusement. There were some touching moments as well as laugh out loud ones. However, there were a few things that grated. Some of Moist's outbursts (especially towards his employees) were deeply out of character, Angua was far too sinister, and Vetinari totally lacked the dry humour so obvious in the books. The golems looked a bit 'undercooked' and cheap. The eerie ghosts in the clacks that gave depth to the original story were all but absent...and there were other seemingly unnecessary changes that I won't go into here. All in all, far better than 'Hogfather' but still not as good as the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Terry Pratchett story, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is the Sky version of a story by Terry Pratchett. I thoroughly enjoyed. Pratchett at his very best. I like the way the author always takes a role in the story.
Good delivery time and well packaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars But words... words have a totally different power. They enter in through our eyes and ears and work their way into our souls, 26 Aug 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (DVD)
In the city of Ankh-Morpork, all long-distance communication is done by the clacks (sort of platform telegraphs). But all of that changes in "Going Postal," the third miniseries adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books -- this one poking fun at the postal service, with a charmining conman, a golem, and a ragtag band of postmen at the helm.

Moist von Lipwig (Richard Coyle) was a very successful forger, conman and embezzler... until the Watch caught him, and he was hanged for his crimes. Fortunately, he's not QUITE dead. It turns out that Lord Vetinari (Charles Dance) wants to give Moist a choice: he can die for real, or he can revive the moribund Post Office.

So Moist finds himself saddled with a decaying building filled with undelivered letters, two slightly insane postmen, and golem parole officer named Mr. Pump. And every night, letters force Moist to see the fallout of his past crimes, including a terrible one against the prickly Adora Belle Dearheart (Claire Foy), whom he is starting to fall for.

But the biggest problem may be the owner of the clacks, Mr. Gilt (David Suchet), who is willing to do whatever it takes to destroy the post office. Though he's becoming a more honest man, Moist must put all his con-man skills to use in a war between the clacks and post office -- or he'll lose a lot more than just his job.

"Going Postal" a grittier, less fantastical story than the previous two Discworld miniseries. Sure, we still have fantasy stuff like banshees, golems, whispering letters and wizardly devices, but it all basically boils down to the Post Office against the telegraphesque clacks. But don't worry, the adaptation is pitch-perfect.

As with the original novel, the miniseries is a witty little affair with lots of funny moments, but it also has some darker moments (Moist being forced to see sepia-toned flashbacks of his crimes' fallouts -- suicide, bankruptcy, etc). The writers give it the usual Pratchett mix: dry, satirical wit ("How dare the Gods work against me! I don't remember giving them permission"), a striking central message, and a clever complicated plot.

Coyle really does a brilliant job as Moist, he's a charming rogue who starts out bratty and selfish, but becomes a kinder, better person as the story goes on... without losing his roguish charm. David Suchet plays Gilt with lip-curling relish, and there are some great smaller roles for Andrew Sachs, Nicholas Farrell, and the coldly Machievellian Charles Dance.

The one problem is Claire Foy. I don't know what it is about this actress, but her Adora is so relentlessly prickly and snarly that it's hard to see why Moist likes her.

It's hard to think of a communication service that makes the postal service look efficient, but "Going Postal" gives you a new appreciation for the written word. Another Pratchettian delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Postal, 18 Mar 2011
F. A. Parkin "Lizzie" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Postal [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Loved the book and was concerned that the film would not be as good. I was not at all impressed with the Hogfather and the Colour of Magic, I thought they did not portray the true magic of the books. However Going Postal was brilliant, the characterisation was excellent and the story-line followed the book. The only thing I didn't particularly like was the golem but I suppose it isn't easy to make a Golem costume.

2.0 out of 5 stars Going Postal, 26 Oct 2010
J. V. Brash "handy8" (Herts UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Going Postal [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The story, acting & scenery are brillant! What a total shame that this blue ray rendition has so many scenes that have been spoilt in the remastering. Truly awfull, flickering & severe graining of the picture, in some cases for several minutes. I have now returned it & feel so sorry for Terry Pratchet, shame on you SkyHD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Discworld rules, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Going Postal [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am a late convert to Terry Pratchett and Discworld. Having seen "The Colour of Magic" I had to see this one. Haven't read the book but enjoyed the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars :), 1 April 2013
This review is from: Going Postal [DVD] (DVD)
Terry Pratchett is the BEST, and This, is one of my Fav Books :) SO, im Happy they did a grrejt job in the Film also :)

Going Postal [Blu-ray]
Going Postal [Blu-ray] by Jon Jones (Blu-ray - 2010)
11.08