on 24 February 2012
After reading many of the reviews I opted for this machine and have been very surprised and pleased with the cleaning results. Many reviews mentioned difficulty in assembly and poor instructions. For me this was simply not the case, the instructions are clear and easy to understand and I really cannot see how they could be made easier, they just need to be read and followed and in a matter of minutes the machine was assembled and ready for use.

As for the cleaning process again follow the instructions, I found that cleaning small areas at a time provided the best results, when sucking the water up after dispensing the cleaning fluid do this very slowly while drawing the machine backwards over the carpet. We were quite shocked at how dirty the water was (and our carpet would be considered as clean). One bedroom carpet had suffered from heavy traffic and for this I left the cleaning fluid for 5 minutes before vacuuming up and it was restored to almost new.

Through Amazon I have saved in excess of £70 with free delivery, however there were 2 nuts missing from the hardware package which i provided my own rather than the hassle of getting replacement bits, so somewhere in the processing of orders package contents need to be checked more thoroughly, this is not the first time such an issue has arisen and one that should not arise irrespective of cost.

As for the machine its great, easy to assemble, use, gives very good results and yes its very noisy so if your planning on holding a phone conversation while using it then perhaps you may need an alternative cleaner. Very Happy
on 11 November 2011
Bought this as I have cream and beige carpets, which with having a toddler and having gone through the baby stage, were looking a bit grubby. I also wanted to clean my sofa.

The unit is reasonably easy to assemble although the instructions could have been clearer.
It is easy to operate and use, although as others have said, it's better to remove the hose attachment when not in use as it gets in the way. I didn't find it heavy to lift, it is lighter than my dyson Hoover when the water reservoir is empty.
Be warned, it is very noisy when in use!
Also be sure to have the dirty water container attached properly, I found this quite fiddly at first and it wasn't sucking water up as it wasn't on properly.

It made a reasonable job of all my carpets except the cream wool one which has a grubby 'track' mark from being repeatedly walked on (without shoes) which I couldn't get out despite going over several times both with the hose and the main unit.
I also found the hose attachment too short to reach from the top of my stairs to the bottom which is only 10 stairs in length. This resulted in me having to balance the unit on a stair to do the top stairs.

Overall it made a reasonable job but if I could go back in time I would probably gone for a different cleaner as it wasn't as good as I expected.

A word of warning: Vax claim to give a 2 year guarantee with this product but when I activated the guarantee it was only for one year.
on 20 July 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a long history with carpet cleaners, having the kind of house that has lots of visitors, lots of family, and lots of animals, none of whom understand about removing fur, shoes and mud before they enter and throw themselves all over my floors....

I currently have a huge Vax carpet cleaner which does a perfect job, but it's very big indeed and I have to heave it in from the garage when it has to do duty, so I don't use it as often as I should. Since my puppy is still learning the difference between 'house' and 'garden' in regard to doing *her* duty, cleaning up puddles is quite a frequent job at the moment, and I've been doing it with bucket and sponge...

So I was thrilled to find this Vax carpet cleaner because it's so neat and tidy: no bigger than the average upright vacuum cleaner: it fits easily in the cupboard under the stairs. It also carries all its tools on board, so I could go all round the house without going back to collect the tools. Also it's got a really long cord, so I could plug it in centrally. Excellent!

Basically, you fill the tank with carpet cleaner and warm water from the tap, and away you go. By holding the button under the cleaner's handle, the water is sprayed onto the carpet while you draw the cleaner backwards and forwards. There is a bar with brushes that scrub as you go (you can turn that off if you want). Then you take your finger off the button and the cleaner sucks the dirty water back into the machine. It couldn't be simpler - and the water was shockingly filthy!! I recommend you vacuum thoroughly before you clean because dog hairs clog it up in no time and it stops working properly.

It gets the carpet very clean and pretty dry afterwards as well, although I drew the cleaner back and forward a few times in 'sucky' mode until no more water was sucked up.
My sitting room carpet is thick pile and cream coloured, and came up really well, and the kitchen carpet is green Flotex and came up brilliantly - like new. The hall is thick pile too and the study is very cheap nylon stuff: all looked great after I'd finished and dried quickly.

I'm really impressed with this Vax, and the best bit is that I can clean the carpets and then just undo the attached tools and clean the upholstery. It's easy to quickly whip out for puppy puddles or spills as well. It's no more difficult than normal vacuuming and it's not especially noisy either.

Why only 4 stars? Because I had to assemble it myself, using 4 screws to attach the handle and the tool base. It wasn't too difficult, but the instructions were a bit confusing to follow and in any case I think it should come ready assembled.

But the cleaning I can't fault and you won't be disappointed with this. Great machine. Highly recommended.
0Comment|241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I used this in my new house to clean my matress and carpets. The instructions were quite easy to follow when putting the Vax together although we had a little trouble slotting a few of the pieces into place. It's quite light weight when it's empty and comes with it's own shampoo and clear instructions for how to follow it. When we first turned the Vax on my mum was standing a few steps away reading me what to do and it was so noisy I couldn't hear her, even standing next to each other you had to shout into someones ear to be able to hear over the Vax. That said it was very easy to operate and the suction on it when sucking up dirty water was very very strong and worked really well. I had a little trouble when using the hose and pressing the button to spray water and ended up getting it all over the walls anytime I went near one but that was probably just because I'd never used one before. The Vax was very easy to empty, clean and put back together when I'd finished using it.

Overall I was very pleased with the results and ease of use of the Vax my only drawback was the noise. If you're only going to use it for a short while I guess you could live with the noise but for prolonged use I think it is too noisy.
66 comments|370 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
UNPACKING AND ASSEMBLY:
This item needs assembly. It is relatively easy to put together, it comes in three parts and although a little fiddly requires only four bolts to be fitted and tightened.

The black and white assembly pictures are not altogether clear and the identification and fitting of one of the bolts is a little confusing. The lower centre bolt fitting appears twice in the instructions and at different stages of assembly. Photographs rather than drawings would have been better.
This Vax looks very much like an old fashioned upright vacuum in shape and size. However it is made entirely of plastic, but do not let that fool you, it has a solid feel to it. It is not too heavy to carry when full.

OPERATION:
The reservoir is easy to fill and install, much better than the old style Vax that had to be pulled behind you. The waste water container which is part of the vacuum head is easy to remove and replace. The filter is easy to remove and clean. You must follow the instructions to the letter on reinstalling the waste water container.
The hose attachments are simple, quick and easy to install. This can be used for difficult to reach corners or upholstery.

EMERGENCY USE:
I have small children and they do tend to pick up all sorts of bugs every now and again and usually quite unexpectedly. Babies when ill are ill everywhere, no matter how quick you are with the sick bowl. Down my shirt, over my trousers into my socks then over the carpet, chair, settee etc. Five year olds are very brave and try to use the sick bowl but are not always quick enough especially in the middle of the night. The old fashioned method of clean up was a bucket and sponge and that never did get rid of the smell and left lighter patches on the carpet.

I am able to get this Vax into operation in less than three minutes, before anything dries. It makes short work of anything on the carpets or upholstery. The added benefit on this model is the revolving brush head, unlike the old Vax model; this one does the work for you, no scrubbing necessary.
It really is that good, and using the hose attachments the furniture can be saved as well.
It's also not bad on just sprucing up the carpets. It cleans and dries quickly.

Vax have done a great job at making a very useful, easy to maintain and easy to operate carpet washer. It is not an industrial cleaner but should cope and manage with anything domestic. Vax offer a two year warranty on the appliance and that indicates the confidence they have in the build quality and materials.

Everyone with small children or teenagers should have one of these on standby in the cupboard under the stairs.
22 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As if cleaning wasn't a hassle enough and now we can add another job to the mammoth of tasks! This product does work but has left me feeling surprisingly proud about the state of the carpets in my house as there wasn't a real visible difference on the carpet. So how do I know that it's worked? Well by the amount of "stuff" that it actually sucked up from the carpets. It is quite amazing the amount of dirt that your eye really can't pick up.

The product assembled in about 15 minutes and I was naively under the impression that it would come prebuilt as shown in the picture. It is fairly simple to install and operate however and simply requires a few turns of a screwdriver. Using the machine is quite easy as all you have to do is mix the soap with water and then vacuum away! I'm not a big fan of cleaning but I do like a clean house which is an ironic downfall for myself. The device seems to take nearly just as long to clean the water housing then it actually did to clean my carpets. Luckily though you do not really have to use this as often as a regular vacuum cleaner so for that I am thankful.

Overall it is quite a good machine and basically does what it says on the box. I'd highly recommend it for dirty upholstery or carpets but if your carpets are already pretty clean looking then you will probably be disappointed at the lack of "visible results".
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 July 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I DID NOT CHOOSE THE PICTURE SHOWN. AMAZON DID.

For the sake of brevity I list my review points only because one can not bullet point on amazon reviews:

1. Arrives as petite square box not slim upright (see video)
2. Assembly not quite as per instructions which cover a range of models.
3. Disassembly difficult if want to pack in its box for storage.
4. Lays down flat for under bed storage.
5. 250ml of cleaning fluid supplied is enough for three sessions.
6. Took two sessions for my 3.6m x 4.0m living room.
7. 750ml Vax fluid easily available in a local shop
8. Upholstery hose easy to use (I have no upholstery)
9. Light weight
10. Would not shift 12-year-old dirt in doorway without repeated use.
11. Don't expect miracles; you can't replace wear and tear.
12. Use of Vax Ultra 1.42L improves things a smidge for the complete carpet clean. Clean NOT restore.
13. Its ideal use is kids and pets but refreshes on a full carpet clean.
14. Better than I thought for flattened kitchen carpet tiles.
15. Happy single man.

My video tried to highlight before and after but lighting conditions defeated me.
1111 comments|360 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I previously owned two carpet shampooers, both by a different well-known manufacturer, and expected much the same from this one when I tried it out. My pro's and con's follow - they are in comparison to the other machines I have tried :)

PRO'S: It is small, nice and light, and does what it says on the tin. The dirty water tank is separate from the clean water tank, which is better than the integral clean tank inside dirty tank which my previous machine had. You can also see really clearly when you are running out of clean water, which is a bonus. More than once I'd be cluelessly shampooing the carpet long after the water had run out, not being able to see the levels. It's also very easy to operate.

CON'S: I didn't much like assembling it, although it wasn't complicated and I was able to screw it together with a vegetable peeler, which is all I had to hand. It does come with a bottle of shampoo but a very small one, much smaller than my other machines did, and it warns you that you must only use Vax shampoo as others might be too frothy and will invalidate your guarantee. So it will be a pain to have to order the special shampoo. Also, the Vax shampoo did not fill the room with a lovely fresh scent which I liked about my previous machine, so that was disappointing. Inexplicably, it made an ear-splitting high-pitched screeching noise for a while when I was using it, not a there's-something-wrong noise, just a motor noise. And of course since it is smaller and more compact, I found the width of each up-and-down pass was considerably smaller than I am used to.

So to summarise, four stars as it did a good job overall.
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Around the same height as a traditional vacuum cleaner, the Vax comes in a big box with lots of individual pieces but is easy to assemble and store when not in use the same as with our upright vacuum. As an added benefit it can lie flat to be stored under a bed. With diagrams in the manual showing how to put it together it is easy to follow although I did have a bit of trouble with the tool caddy as it's not the clearest picture trying to work out which way round it goes. The water tank and dirty water tanks are easy to remove and being quite compact means they are not too heavy to carry and fill or empty or add too much additional weight to the machine when in use. When empty the Vax is a lot lighter than our vacuum.

The Vax comes with a small 250ml bottle of solution and recommends sticking to the Vax brand as others can foam up too much (and would invalidate the guarantee) so we pay around £10 for a 1.4l bottle of Vax solution. The small bottle lasted about 3 uses but it took 2 uses to do a large room whereas now I'll only concentrate on specific areas rather than the whole room each time.

The first noticeable thing about the Vax is just how noisy it is. Using it is really not much different to a vacuum cleaner - you just spend a lot more time focusing on the same areas rather than using large sweeps across the carpet. I like the fact that you can see the water changing colour - especially at first as this carpet has been down for the last 25 years so it just shows that vacuuming isn't enough even if it does look clean. It is important to make sure the carpet has been vacuumed well before use especially with pets around as the fur can clog it up and make the Vax more difficult to clean.

I thought the carpet was going to dry a lot quicker than it did. One of the main selling points was "The powerful motor helps the carpets to dry quickly". The pile on my carpet isn't thick so I was expecting it to have dried by the next morning after using it the previous afternoon but it was still damp. This does take a little more planning if it is being used in rooms that are used a lot so at times I will just focus on small areas than doing the whole carpet. Owning the Vax gives you this advantage as usually when hiring one you only get it for a day or weekend so I don't feel rushed after buying one.

Cleaning the carpets regularly does brighten them up and really it's not much more effort than vacuuming so well worth owning compared to hiring.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Vax carpet cleaner is a fairly decent wet cleaner for use on carpets and upholstery around the home. This comes disassembled in a small square box and requires some assembly before use. The instructions aren't the clearest I have ever seen and although this wasn't hugely difficult to put together, it could have been a whole lot easier and more clearly laid out. This comes with cleaning solution (which is also easy to find in most shops) and after thoroughly vacuuming the carpet area we tested this on, we set about cleaning. This managed to raise most obvious dirt first try and for more ground-in stains, such as those left by pets, we found they were removed after a second swipe. This left the carpet a little damp, but not excessively so and it soon dried off. One word of advice is to make sure as much pet hair is lifted up before using this as the fur tends to get tangled around the cleaning bristles and which need to be removed by hand afterwards. The dirty water reservoir is easy to empty and after rinsing it out it is ready for the next use. It also includes a filter which is easy to remove and clean as well. You are able to fold this down flat-ish so it is easy to store and it shouldn't take up too much space under the stairs or slipped under the bed. All in all this is a decent home carpet cleaner and whilst it will never restore heavily worn carpets or match industrial cleaners, it will revitalise most carpets around the house.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
0Comment|163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse