5.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection of tracks and great value, too!
A nice collection of popular classical tracks with a relaxed feel in a variety of styles and arrangements. I'm not too sure what qualifies these particular ones as being more essential than others, but never mind.

Published on 17 Dec 2010 by Sir Barnabas

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks composer names
I have only just downloaded this album and have not listened to much of it at all yet, but this is not a review of the music or performances, more a complaint to Amazon: there is no information about the composers of these tracks included in my download! Seems to me that the name of the composer is rather important for classical music...
Also, Track 5 is mis-labelled...
Published 23 months ago by S. D. James

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection of tracks and great value, too!, 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: The 99 Most Essential Relaxing Classics (Amazon Exclusive) (MP3 Download)

I guess that if you're a classical afficionado, there's a good chance you'll probably already have a lot of these tracks but for classical novices like myself, it's a good sampler of both recognisable and new music and at around 3p a track - great value for money.

Encore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Six-star recording, 7 Nov 2010
H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I tend to give products that meet my expectations 5 stars because when checking on ratings from other people I feel that anything less means that the item in question has let the recipient down in some way. Now I know some people rate the best items four stars, keeping that elusive fifth star free for those rare products which surpass their expectations. This is a time when I wonder if I should have done the same because I have nowhere to go with this collection as there is no sixth star.

As the previous reviewer said, there are no duds here. I haven't heard anything yet that I don't like and I have reached track 37. Now you may think I am being a bit previous in reviewing a product after only hearing 37 tracks, but the standard is so high that I have every confidence in the rest. Also I have already had my money's worth several times over.

I bought this collection because I work from home. I need to think clearly, so tracks with words are no good to me as they are too much of a distraction, but when I am stressed I like to listen to music to calm me down. This is perfect. The tracks are exquisite, and though I have some already on other albums, there are many that I have never heard before but know I will listen to again and again. Also the playing time is huge with many tracks of about 6 minutes, quite a few over 16 minutes and one over 17 minutes. I am used to playing through several albums over a working day and then running out of tracks and having to work through the tracks again. Not with this album, which just runs and runs.

This is by far the best classical compilation I have ever bought and I can't recommend it highly enough (and I can now confirm that track 38 is also wonderful).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow relaxing or what!, 12 Oct 2010
Barbie 67 (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
I have listened to this continuously since purchase. The music is different but very relaxing to listen to, I love it.

So many pieces of music which I have heard some of before, but this collection is played by many varied orchestras from around the world. I especially love the cello pieces.

I have found in the past that compilations have some good and many indifferent pieces of music, not this one every piece you will listen to, and learn many new pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled as a penguins bum!, 5 May 2011
Mr. Terence J. Hughes "cakeman" (Crewe, England) - See all my reviews
Speaking as someone who hasn't been able to relax since the sixties ended, I can thoroughly recommend this album. You will need to shuffle your playlist frequently though, because you will not be able to listen to all the tracks before falling asleep.

Seriously though, this is a very well compiled, produced and performed album. All your old favourites and a few maybe lesser known but familiar tunes all in on place.

IMHO this is probably the best value for money album of the genre on offer anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value, excellent songs, highly recommended!, 16 Dec 2010
Just bought and downloaded this album.
I am by no means a big fan or expert on classical music, but this purchase is outstanding value.
There are enough relaxing songs here to last for hours and hours on end; there are so many songs on here that I recognise but just didn't know the names of.
Perfect to have on in the background for dinner parties, doing the housework or trying to put a newborn to sleep :-)

Three quid? You're having a laugh. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars 99 Most Essential Relaxing Classics, 16 Jun 2011
Doveman (Northampton UK) - See all my reviews
This is a varied and quite interesting selection of pieces and would be a nice addition to anyone's library of MP3 classical music, especially if they just want one or two albums of "best ever" tracks. It's part of a wider range of '99 Most Essential' classics, budget-priced MP3 albums which are excellent value for money, but which have certain drawbacks.

This time, the theme is RELAXING classics, an especially well-worn trail of recent classical music collections (witness the number of albums produced by the UK's Classic FM alone in the past 10 years which purport to sooth and 'relax' us!). I suppose that to the initiated, the Amazon selection is fairly predictable but I found quite a few welcome surprises, eg items by Sandstrom, Granados, Part and Penderecki. There are also pieces by Mozart, Vivaldi and Bach I wasn't expecting. To an extent, in common with some of the other titles in this cheaper download series, they seem to be using a common stock of tracks reshuffled to suit the particular titles (be they Allegros, Baroque, Romantic, Adagios, etc). I own several and this is my observation anyway.

I must also tell you that many of these tracks are not first class performances from celebrated musicians, though a few are. Neither are the tracks brilliant recordings in some cases, but sound as if they could have been remastered from old analogue sources. But, nevertheless, they are very competent, professional performances and often present as really lively and vibrant, with nice acoustics and well-balanced sound levels, which can be a challenge, especially with instrumental concertos. In some ways, the tracks reminded me of those nice Naxos CDs of Eastern European origin. And given the limitations of 256K bitrate MP3 technology, any quibbling about audio quality is largely academic since many people using ordinary equipment would not notice any major differences from a 'lossless' ripped CD of a pure digital recording.

It's a pity they didn't think to include more choral and vocal music or explore the marvellous repertoire of the modern period. It was, however, lovely to hear all the pieces in full, not some awful, half-baked edit or "excerpt". One of the joys of downloading these large compilation albums, as distinct from buying CDs, is that we often get the music in its entirety, however long the pieces (some of these tracks are 16/17 minutes). The plethora of "relaxing" music CDs out there will provide lots of examples of this dubious editing practice, though Amazon (and Classic FM) are not usually guilty.

There is certainly some very beautiful music here and I can recommend it to you. And for the price, you can't go wrong!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks composer names, 4 Dec 2012
S. D. James "Su James" (Talybont, Ceredigion, Cymru/Wales) - See all my reviews
Also, Track 5 is mis-labelled - it's not Ave Maria, it's Satie's Gymnopedie No 1!

2.0 out of 5 stars The 99 Most Essential Suicidal Classics, 16 Aug 2011
I purchased this download on the basis of other reviews. All I can say is that if you manage to make it past Track 3 you must have no knowledge of the word relaxing.... Its so depressing. Oh well each to there own.

4.0 out of 5 stars not as relaxing as I had hoped, 12 July 2014
I don't know why, and this may be down to my personal tastes, but I did not find the music on here very relaxing, particularly the guitar pieces (which there seem to be a lot of). But like I said that is probably my personal tastes so if you like classical guitar then go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 13 April 2014
Some great tracks to listen to & for the price of the album, its well worth the money, very pleased.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›