on 20 January 2011
Needed a steamer with solid bases as fed up with the bases coming apart. This steamer is brilliant easy to clean, the base is black so always looks good. The delayed timer is easy to use and means you can get the meal ready and set delayed timer on not only oven but steamer as well then sit back and have a cup of tea. It also keeps the food hot, just need to remember to cancel this or the water runs dry. But its so good I am buying one for my fed up daughter as well.
on 30 January 2011
I have always steamed my veg and around christmas (THE worst time!) my steamer broke. I went to all electrical shops and on-line only to find most were sold out, found the James Martin steamer and thought "Why not?" It is GREAT! The digital read out is really helpfull so food can be served at the same time, and it is much quicker than my other steamer was and that was 5years old. The bowls can be fiddely, but just need to be turned slightly when placed on bowl below, the bowls also stack neatly into each other. The steamer beeps if the water is running low and needs a top up, over all I highly recommend this steamer. I also have a James Martin electric knife - seems James can't go wrong!
on 10 February 2011
Received the James Martin steamer within the delivery date as promised and have found it to be good value for money. I like the fact that I have the option to delay start which I have tried out and works perfectly. My only negative points are the baskets can be a bit wobbly when fitting together and it seems to take a bit longer to cook the food than my previous steamer e.g. putting the same amount of potatoes and sprouts in as I did in my previous steamer took 10 minutes longer to cook in this steamer. The instruction book that came with the steamer said potatoes took 20 minutes when in fact they took 30 minutes.
Other than those niggles I am more than happy with the steamer.
This is an added comment written 8weeks later: Unfortunately had to return the steamer to Amazon for a replacement. The problem was although the lights and the clock were working the steaming element decided to pack in. I returned the steamer to Amazon after I talked to them on the phone and they sent me by E mail Return Labels. The steamer was picked up by a courier service from the house. I received a replacement which arrived before the faulty steamer reached them. I was hesitant about receiving the same James Martin model again but as that seemed to be the preference when talking to Amazon I agreed but did insist that should the same problem arise again then I would order a different make as a replacement. As usual Amazon are on the ball.
on 29 January 2011
Very happy with this steamer, the first I've owned. Saves having all the pans bubbling away on the stove and avoids steaming up the whole kitchen. Packs away compactly for storage or looks
good left out on the worktop.

Simple to use and easy to clean, three generously sized compartments, black drip tray prevents staining. Warning sound when resevoir is empty or timer has run down, starts steaming food almost instantly! Took a couple of attempts top get the veg just how I like it (not to crunchy but not too soft) and it's used most days now. I'm eating more vegetables than ever before!
on 25 February 2015
Not being one to write reviews in general, I decided to wait a while to actually get a feel of how this steamer would perform.

Initially, I was pleasantly surprised, seemed a nice quality bit of kit, plenty of space, did the veg very well etc.

But the main reason I bought this steamer, instead of all the others, was because it has the delayed start option. This option means I can put my dinner in the oven on timed start and then do the same with the steamer, sod off to the gym, and when I return, hey presto, hot grub. Previously, it was a case of wait when I get home for food to cook on cheapo Asda steamer. It's only another 30 minutes on the day but that's not the point, I'm busy, I wanted to save time, this was seen as the way forward.

Here's the problem, the down button on the timer no longer works (after 6 months), this means that when you want to set the timer, you can adjust the start time, but it takes it's default setting of 45 minutes cook time and you cannot reduce it. WHAT! who steams veg for 45 Minutes, we're not in the trenches now, we don't need to stew them until all the nutrition has migrated to the water, leaving a clear mush in place of the firm, goodness filled veg.

So, to avoid emaciated, vitamin free veg, its either sit and watch it, or go back to the previous £15 Asda special again, which still works after 2 years, by the way.

Not a good machine in my view and I hope Mr Martin is enjoying the endorsement fee for slapping his screen printed moniker on the side. Didn't notice this item on his counter on a Saturday morning.
on 24 April 2011
I spent HOURS looking and comparing every type of steamer going. I wanted to get this gift purchase just right and for the money I was prepared to spend. All that eye watering time paid off and I am over the moon I finally got one thing spot on! My partner who uses this steamer is very happy with it. The only thing he can't seem to master is cooking rice in it. Not sure if this is a problem with the steamer or something we're not doing correctly.Still I would highly recommend. It steams quickly (nice soft veg in 15 - 20. Harder only 10). Food keeps warm, water alarm if it dries out, easy to clean/stack. Can soften your potatoes before roasting in the oven for a head start. Go for it.
on 15 July 2011
I had one exactly the same (except for the name) from Lidl but it got broken, so all the baskets fit and I haven't had to use the new ones. This one is the only one I could find with a delay start. My original steamer had a delay timer which I now just could not live without. I haven't boiled vegetables since I started using a steamer about 10 years ago.
on 2 May 2014
I got 1 with the hope to help me to get my warm meal in the day by using the delay timer as the carer who would leave the meal at the same time as breakfast so I could get it out of the steamer when it was finished.

This did not last and I had to change the first unit before 3 months of using it each day once.
The new unit came in fast time but in less than 1 week the same happened to the second unit.
I asked to return it and wished not another .
I felt their was a designer fault.

I am not a technician but understandings of units and their work-abilities.
In this case the unit after a wail as said above the unit after steaming locked-up ,by this I mean the digital screen would not display any numbers or letters clearly or be able to set the time or timer or delay -timer .
It just froze why I am not to answer but I am pretty shore of what ,the heat interfered with the electronics as to probably to insulations separating the heat from the electronics and sensors were all not insulated correctly.

I got a Tefal 8 in 1 Cooker /Steamer now this is a steamer with great build and only a 1/4 more in price and 2 to 3 year warrantee.

Would I recommend the James Martin unit NO.
Disappointing as I wished to support the UK market but it would seem the quality and long lasting is not taken into mind when items are designed ,a through away period we are in as to our environmental imbalance .
PEACE ALWAYS
on 28 May 2012
Sunday lunch has never tasted better, and the heavy duty washing up of the pans is a thing of the past too....This is a more expensive model compared to others you can buy, but I liked the design and also it has a timer that you can delay the start for up to 24hrs. Not always needed, but has come in useful on occasions.
on 23 October 2013
I was really disappointed in this steamer,I'd looked at several steamers and read the reviews and I particlarly wanted a digital steamer so I chose this one.i had read both the positive and negative reviews but decided to go for it despite the negatives comments.unfortunately it was a mistake.the first time I used it I just couldn't switch it on and all my dinner was well on the way,it eventually come on and steamed the vegetables perfectly and I thought no more about it until li used it again,this time it point blank refused to come on,my que to return it.i really do believe that this was just a random faulty switch button as I don't recall reading any comments about this particular problem.although I'm not prepared to take any more chances.i had no problem in returning this and getting a refund.one thing I will say is that I will go for a 11 lt one next time as appose to this one,as it was only 9lt and I feel there is a massive difference.so bare this in mind depending on the size of your house hold