5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit
Having used a Garmin for work i decided to purchase a SatNav for my bike, and after checking the alternatives, i plumped for the TomTom Rider, because:

- you get a wireless headset
- you get a mounting kit
- this is supposedly designed by bikers, for bikers
- its a 2nd version, so any problems would hopefully be ironed out
- TomTom have a...
Published on 9 Feb 2008 by lankey

3.0 out of 5 stars Software Good - Hardware Not.
I've owned a number of Tom Tom devices for cars etc. and I've found thier software and maps to be pretty good, so when I decided to buy a Sat Nav for my bike this was the one I went for.

Published on 18 Dec 2009 by J. Stuart Mingay

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 9 Feb 2008

- you get a wireless headset
- you get a mounting kit
- this is supposedly designed by bikers, for bikers
- its a 2nd version, so any problems would hopefully be ironed out
- TomTom have a reputation for making good SatNavs.

Having purchased the Western Europe version (as the price was reduced in the sales) the package duly arrived. Getting the unit up-and-running was simplicity itself (after charging both the wireless headset and unit for a few hours beforehand). The menu system is pretty easy to work out and is also useful when on the move (although there is a reduced menu-system in this situation) for safety reasons, but all you need to do is pull over for the larger menu.

Initially I did wonder how i would get the mount onto my bike (GSX-R600 K6) but after quickly realising that it wouldnt go anywhere on the handlebars, or clock set up, i attached it to the right mirror stand. This works like a dream as its level with the eyeline and pretty secure. I did have to tighten up the nuts at one point, after going approx. 100 miles, as the mount slipped down when going over rough tarmac, but after that incident it hasnt moved. Just in case it wouldnt fit, i searched online and found a nice alternative mounting system (telferizer - easy to find online), which has a central mounting system (which they say will fit any bike, but you will need to use the back mount of the enclosed ram mount system to attach the TomTom Rider). This does work nicely, but can be a bit uncomfortable as its set below the clocks.

I've driven in high winds and torrential rain and although i was drenched through, the TomTom Rider kept on working and didnt miss a beat. I've seen comments about the voices not being loud enough at high speed, which is a fair point, but when you use the well-designed visual display with the voice prompts (i use a loudness setting of 95% as 100% is distorted) i've not had any problems 90% of the time, and thats with using ear plugs to reduce wind noise too).

To update the software and to get additional downloads you'll need to install the software and register your unit using TomTom Home. This is again simple to use and quite useful as you can get information on any possible traffic problems before setting out (not that thats a problem for bikers ;o). The unit checks for updates either automatically or when you decide to and informs you of anything pending, then its a simple matter of choosing what to update (this can vary between unit updates, safety camera updates or other downloads, i.e. new voices).

The speed cameras, errm, i mean safety cameras download i consider to be an essential purchase for a biker (you get a years supply of updates for the whole of Western Europe, for a one-off payment) and the audible warnings for each camera is well in advance of the camera location (approx 400 yards) and again its an easy process to update the database by connecting to TomTom Home. I did read (after going online a few times) that you can get a free download of safety cameras if you do this the very first time you run TomTome Home, but this isnt clearly spelt out enough in the documentation.

You are also able to link up your mobile phone with the TomTom so that you can receive calls when on the move via the headset (and also make a call when stationary). Linking my phone to the unit was again easy (even though it wasnt one listed - K850i - it connected straight away with no issues), a few clicks, and its linked, and if you choose to do so, every subsequent time you want to in the future automatically.

The additional voices are a waste of money, imho, i'm still waiting for John Cleese to say something even remotely amusing and the 'sexy voice' is anything but.

One minor thing would be that i had to remove some, albeit unused software (voices) from the unit so that i could add other downloads, as the unit said it was full, even though it was straight out of the box.

I really cant find any significant fault with this SatNav (a clearer voice would be one thing but thats minor) and would recommend it to any biker looking for the best biker SatNav on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit - with just one little hiccup., 21 Dec 2008
John L "John L" (Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
Having previously used TomTom Navigator 5 on a PDA, I decided it was time to get something better for use on my bikes. Having looked at both the Garmin and TomTom offerings I went for the TomTom Rider V2 Western Europe.
On both bikes the TT works a treat - getting me accurately where I want to go. The itinerary function allows me to plan an "interesting" route more for pleasure than getting somewhere.
On the VFR I tend to wear a fixed chin bar Arai RX-7RR4 full face helmet, so don't use the bluetooth headset in that helmet. That means giving the screen the odd quick glance to see the next direction. When on the Pan European I wear a flip front Shoei Synchrotec II and have the headset installed in that helmet. The route instructions, as well as taking mobile phone calls on the move, come through clearly at speeds in excess of the legal limit.
One change I made was to replace the supplied Cardo headset, although perfectly adequate, for a Cardo Scala FM headset. I can know hear instructions in both ears, listen to the radio or an MP3 player (by using one of those small FM transmitters).
The TT Rider has navigated me successfully to southern Spain, so no complaints there. In my local area it's routing can be a tad strange - but no SatNav possesses local knowledge. So it's a matter of remembering that one small fact.
The MapShare technology allows users to input any errors they find in the units map to download to TomTom for map corrections. I found a new roundabout, logged it and a week later TomTom had corrected the map to show the roundabout.
The optional in-car kit allows the unit to be transferred quickly from bike to car.
The only real glitch was that when updating the maps, the original SD Card wasn't large enough to cope with the transition from one map to the other (it wanted to put the new map on before it deleted the old map, so not enough space). So I copied the data from the original SD Card to a 4GB SD Card and fitted that to the unit in place of the original.

Overall, a truly excellent piece of equipment. I'd highly recommend adding a 4GB SD Card to your purchase and, if you also own a car, getting the in-car kit. Had it not been for the memory issue, I'd have given it a 5 star rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Software Good - Hardware Not., 18 Dec 2009
J. Stuart Mingay "Stuart" (London, UK.) - See all my reviews

I'm not going to review the software or applications or map accuracy, but I'm going to list a few of the issues, plus some good points, that I've experienced with the unit.

Not compatible with the iPhone - while you can pair the device, and Tom Tom say it's compatible, every call I've ever received or made cuts off after 30 sec to 1 min. No access to data so traffic etc. can't be used

Sound quality - instructions in the headset are poor and volume dips mid-sentence, generally cutting off the distance part e.g. "In ... hundred yards, turn left"

Difficult to download map updates - maybe something to do with my account but I couldn't purchase a map update until I'd loaded the device with a blank card, connected it to my computer and started the Home application. It then let me buy a map that I had to copy across

The bike dock has broken 3 times - First time after I had the device for about a week, I noticed it wasn't charging. I checked the wire to the battery with a volt meter and it was fine. Checked the pins on the dock: nothing. Tom Tom replaced it free. Second time it broke I was working as a bike courier. Tom Tom insisted I send the dock back before they would send a replacement. Decided just to buy one. This one lasted about 3 months before it too broke. Sent the other back and it broke 1 week after receiving it

Bike dock doesn't hold the device strongley enough - it buzzes when I ride and I had to pack it with cut foam sheet to stop this

The USB / charger door broke - I noticed the locking tab was loose and realised that the rubber seal had disappeared and that the lock was broken. Sent unit back and they repaired it. 1 week later the same thing happened again. Sent unit back to Holland and they sent me a new unit. This was nice! I notice that this has a different revision number so maybe they've changed things in the design. Unfortunately, they didn't repair the bike dock that I sent back.

New unit DOA - received new unit but it gets stuck at the Tom Tom splash screen. Followed reset instructions but they didn't work. Called support and they sent instructions about doing a backup, erasing the SD card, and restoring certain files. This didn't work either.

I currently have a very expensive paper weight. Shame, as when it worked it was good, and even though I'm not despatch riding any more I use it to commute. It's still useful for those days the Blackwall Tunnel is shut and you have to go through somewhere unfamiliar. And the speed camera database was good.

Hopefully, support will fix this for me soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rider version2, 16 Jan 2008
P. Adams (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
Very good piece of Kit, comes with mounting brackets that should suit any sort of bike.Works well on the bike(better than any other Sat Navs for Bikes that Ive seen).Bought the car mount kit(ensure it is the correct V2 version), which works well and is no fuss to swap between car and bike.The rider2 can be used tas a rider to pillion wireless coms set if you buy an extra headset. My only gripe is that the extra headsets are fairly expensive.Then again, you get what you pay for in the world of intercom systems. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but worth every penney, 14 Feb 2009
Mr. M. Bickerstaffe (West Yorkshire U.K) - See all my reviews
The cost may be high but what you get in the box is well worth the asking price. The Cardo BT headset is simple and very good, just be careful you dont rip your ear off when placing the headphone into the helmet as it is velcro stuck onto a small pad (Your patch area will negate this issue). the Tom Tom itself is bigger than I thought it would be for a motorcycle and fits nicely on the handle bars. Because the RAM mount is ball jointed you can swivel it around to suit your bike (I've tried it on 3 bikes and it offered good viewing and flexibility)

Setting up the Tom Tom is easy, plug it into the pc, update and off you go. I actually used it straight away and it has so far saved me time and money (fuel wise) and i have discovered some nice little back roads to use to get to A quicker!!

The Tom Tom's case is Aliminium and it feels sturdy, i have Biking friends and they all agree its a innovative Mount and are familiar with the general Tom Tom systems.

The reason I gave it a 4 was because the time it warns you about speed cameras is a little slow, For example I was cruising along and then I got the sound telling me I was near a speed camera. I noticed I was practically under the thing, but enough time to slow down, Then another time i was quite a distance away and the warning had stopped while i was going through it. It's a real shame you can't adjust the distance for them.

Honestly the price is high but you get a load for it, Tom Tom Rider, RAM mount and the Cardo Scala Bluetooth set (cables include, bike battery charger / power lead, mains charger lead, uk euro american adapters inc. Carry case, safety strap from mount to Tom Tom. I noticed there were a load of bolts spare for alternative mount fixtures also. look at th emanual for instructions they are easy to understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful lcustomer service, but love the Rider 2, 9 April 2009
Nicholas J. Ellicott (UK) - See all my reviews
Hi all,
my six pennyworth...
I love the tomtom itself. It is a well built pleasant gadget to use. Fairly intuitive, and full of things I never thought I would need. However, there are some issues:
Customer service at Tomtom sucks. They make it deliberately difficult to use the poxy website so that you don't hassle them, instead wanting you to rely on their "FAQ's", have those things ever been any use to anyone? Not me. When you do finally find a phone number, the auto answer woman on the other end tells you (without fail no matter what time of day) that they are far to busy to speak to you.
I did eventually (by putting the phone on loudspeaker and listening to crappy music for 47 minutes) get to speak to a very pleasant young lady, but it was quite apparent that she was just reading the answers off the FAQ page which I could have done!
Turns out that my Samsung U900 (supposedly state of the art) phone will not support the wireless data transmission required for the traffic and speed camera updates supplied by tom tom. Therefore I now have a tomtom with reduced functionality. How annoying is that!
Short of replacing a three month old phone, I am stuck...
The on off button is utterly useless. I have to carry a pen top around with me, because that is the only way to apply enough pressure over a large enough area to operate it. They also don't make it clear that you cannot turn the thing off when it is plugged in. Pressing the button then, just causes a sore finger. Why oh why doesn't the thing take power from the mini USB socket? Everything else with a mini USB socket does, my blackberry, my treo WM device. Surely it would save them the cost and valuable space of the jack socket they have fitted!

Don't download the Sylvia voice from the website. She sounds great on your pc speaker, but she might as well have her head in a bucket 50 feet away through your helmet speakers. I use Tim. He is very clear.

The kit that comes with the device is excellent. I had to buy a different RAM mount as my FJR 1300 has odd handlebars that the kit doesn't cover, but it all went together beautifully. No need for instructions if you have any mechanical ability whatsoever. Ditto for the battery wiring lead. I would however have liked some ring terminals fitted, and also the connection to the plug that goes into the mount isn't finished very well. I had to put some silicon around the base to keep water out, and protect the small gauge wiring from stress.

Hope this helps.

Nick

3.0 out of 5 stars TTR V2, 23 April 2008
I was disapointed with the TomTom Rider V2. Yes it navigates well and the scala rider earpiece works well, i like being able to receive mobile calls.

I have used a TomTom one V3 in a car. The tomtom one is half the price and much quicker at picking up satellites and calculating routes.I was very impressed with the "Safety" camera alerts on the One. This was the main reason I bought the rider.

I was dismayed to discover that I can't change the proximity (for safety cameras) alerts on the rider. Neither can I change or select the audible warnings. I prefer different sounds for traffic light cameras and speed cameras.
The unit itself seems excessively bulky, this isn't a problem on the bike but when you park and put the unit in a jacket pocket it can be.
The on/off switch is a nightmare, there is no positive click and it can take some time to operate.
The rider feels like old technology compared to the one, it is sometimes a bit slow with its directions in central London.

I know the scala rider and Ram kit inflate the cost and the alternatives for a bike are more expensive but it seems pricey compared to the car versions.
Value for money? does what it says, would be great if tomtom could sort out proximity alerts

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning, 16 April 2009
Bought a Rider 2 approx 18 months ago. I deliberately chose the UK only mapping, as I wanted to ultimately get full Western and Central European mapping but am aware Central Europe coverage is still being rolled out. Last month decided to upgrade, what a hassle!! Firstly I needed to buy a bigger memory card, only a fiver so no great issue, then the cost of the map £70, which is a bit steep but paid. Then the fun and games begins, I have 2 Tomtoms, an old 'one' which resides in the Wife's car and the rider 2 which alternates between my car and bike. The maps are only available by download (more on that later!) but a Tomtom account is needed, I had one from updating the 'one' so duly bought maps which were advertised for rider 2, paid (money taken from a/c immediately of course) and at no point was I made aware that only 1 device could be linked to one account. Tried to link Rider and got error message about not linking more that one device. Then the real fun began - Tech support(sic)!! Basically its pointless e-mailling them as all you get is a computerised automatic response which must pick out salient words in your question and answers something it thinks is simillar. Next try the phone support, get the usual "press 1 for this, press 2 for that"etc. followed by "all are operators are currently busy". When i did eventuall speak to someone they tried to help but "would need to speak to a supervisor". Eventually probelm was resolved then I tried to download map only to find that after 1 hour the connection to Tomtom timed out, repeated with same result, back to tech support email and phone, again phone busy, email not answering the question. Finally with no support from tech support, made 3rd attempt to download and suceeded, took tomtom out in car, it got lost!! It was convinced it was about 150 yards south of its true location, eg on a bridge over a river it was showing being in the river 150yds down stream! A minor annoyance on the open road but an absolute nightmare in town. Then put on to bike and it seemed to correct itself, I'm hoping that it is now fixed, I would ring tech support for advice but the blood pressure couldn't stand it!!

Now found a further MAJOR PROBLEM, tried to link Tomtom to an Autocom communication system using their blue tooth dongle only to find that the Tomtom doesn't have the software to support the connection, finally got through to a girl in tech support who was pleasant but clueless who eventually admitted that there is no way of setting it up.

Bottom line is if you've got a choice get a Garmin, a few mates have the Zumo on bikes and swear by them! If you really must have a Tomtom and are never going beyond W Europe buy one with the maps pre-loaded, and hope nothing ever goes wrong with! If it does go wrong ask a mate ,ask a bloke down the pub, ask your cat, ask anyone, just don't bother with tech support!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good unit let down by a very bad screen!!!, 2 Oct 2008
M. Nunn - See all my reviews
Bought this unit (with UK Maps) a couple of weeks ago - it worked straight out of the box and communicated with my phone and the headset with no problems. Linking it to the PC updated the firmware - the Tom Tom Home software is quite good.

Menu's are quite good and intuitive with a useful range of features.

Anyway, spent a couple of days blissfully travelling back and forward to and from work - into the sun both ways so the screen display seemed fine. Come the weekend and my chance to take the unit for a run..... I was woefully disappointed by the screen.

What had been a good screen in low light became an absolute nightmare with the sun in any position behind the rider.

Even with the brightness set at 100%, the screen became unreadable and the only way to see the display was to shade it with my hand - not ideal on a motorbike!!!

Why has no one else mentioned this in reviews?!!! Am I the only person who thinks that this is a fundamental flaw in what is, in all other respects, a good piece of kit?

Did Tom Tom actually let real bikers test this unit? - not if my experiences are anything to go by.

Come on Tom Tom, you can do better than this - sort the screen out and you'll get a deserving 5 stars!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom Rider Pro ( All Other Variants), 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: TomTom Rider Pro Europe (Electronics)
Firstly can I thank Amazons Customer Service which has been absolutely First Rate, The Tom Tom Rider was bought for my Husband for Christmas,as he soon discovered
there was a fault with the Scala Headset Supplied with the PRO VERSION I purchased, it would not charge, so the item including the Tom Tom was posted back to Amazon and a replacement came in the post 24 Hours later, which turned out to be fine and fully functional.

Its worth noting the following,Its worth doing a bit of research before buying this item otherwise you may find your going to be very disappointed ?

1/.All version contain the Ram Mount fitting kit, there is a good chance this item will NOT Fit your Motorcycle, as my Husband had already adapted a car sat nav to
his Triumph Trophy as such this was not an issue, other than paying for something that he did not need and would not fit anyway, so be prepared to look for alternative fittings rather than what's contain in the box.

2/. The Tom Tom Urban Rider UK & ROI and The Tom Tom Urban Rider Europe DOES NOT INCLUDE THE SCALA BLUETOOTH HEADSET only the PRO Version Includes this item.
So you'll need a suitable headset to use with your Rider as there is no speaker fitted to this item, keep this in mind when buying one it could work out cheaper
buying the Pro version which we did ( The Price has gone up quite a bit since we bought ours :-) )

3/. The mounting Dock supplied with ALL three versions does not allow you to connect the Tom Tom Rider to the bikes battery or wiring loom, this in my book is a blatant ripp-off, the Rider can only be charged from the Mains Adapter (Supplied) or from a mini usb adapter fitted to a cigarette lighter socket ( Already fitted to my Husbands Motorcycle) but this requires the USB flap to be left open and the supplied mounting dock will not "click into place" properly plus there a possible issue here with regards ingress of dirt and water,the Charging Dock and Battery Cable is available from Tom Tom for an additional £48.00 but is a poor quality item and the pins on the unit are prone to fail ( Read the reviews on here & on Tom Tom's Forum Site) there is a another mount available from UlimateAddons which is the one my Husband is going to use in Future.

3/. Carda Scarla Bluetooth Headset,there's a couple of issues with these that are worth mentioning, THIS ITEM IS NOT WATERPROOF, it is in Fact only Water & Snow Resistant, this is the UK not Florida it rains..........A Lot, the other noteworthy points are, the internal battery cannot be replaced as far as I can see, the unit comes with a two pin plug, not with a proper three pin UK Plug, and its worth buying an additional car charger adapter to be able to charge the Headset on the move via a cig lighter adapter you'll need to fit or similar 9 volt supply once the battery gets tired assuming you don't drown the headset first off course :-).

4/. Glove friendly screen, nope its a little on the small side, something around 4.5-5.00 inch would be more usefull in my opinion.

Finally from reading the above you can see the costs are adding up, as for actually using the item on the Road we cannot say, its the middle of winter and the bikes staying put untill late March early April I/We hope this little reveiw helps you make up your own mind wether to purchase this item or one from its only other competitor.

TomTom Rider Pro Europe