5.0 out of 5 stars The Chems are back!
Opinion seems to be mixed on The Chemical Brothers' new album. If you love the more melodic and psychedelic side of the duo then your more likely to be a big fan of ''Further,'' but if you prefer the more accessible (''Hey Boy,Hey Girl'' ''Believe'' - you get get the idea) side then your likely to be a bit dissapointed. Thats not to say ''Further'' doesnt have its...
Published on 10 Jun 2010 by DodgyDan

1.0 out of 5 stars Not far enough
Track 1 does not play properly on my CD copy and crackles with what sounds like a fax machine. You would not get this on the old 8 track players but technology eh !
Published 1 month ago by P Benson

2.0 out of 5 stars Whooshier & Swooshier.wmv, 30 Jun 2011
This review is from: Further (Audio CD)
Hmm...Where do I start, where do I begin? ;) Well the Brothers Chemical have intended their music to be interspersed with the visuals on this outing but I'm gonna start with the tunes.

Following on from We Are The Night, Further maintains the swooshes and whooshes of its predecessor. Personally, I never been a fan of this element of their music that seems to take greater precedent with each release. Snow is an excellent opener, a throwback to Surrender that gives a real sense of something great about to happen and, like K+D+P and Wonders Of The Deep, would fit snugly on the soundtrack of some low-budget US indie flick. Sadly, Snow bleeds into Escape Velocity. A tune that you'd come across while watching a cool film (I know, I relate to film a lot!) that has a club scene featuring some very generic dance music. This is that music. With oodles of swoosh thrown in. Further does has some stand outs though with Another World and Swoon. The former throbbing its way along with some occasional whooshes whilst the latter features a saccharine hook you'll either love or hate. Dissolve and Horse Power sit in the middle of the album and, to be honest, are fillers.

I'd place Further lower down in the pecking order of their previous albums, better than come with us, but essentially not offering much more than Push the Button.

The accompanying DVD is disappointing. In really thing they could have (should have!) provided more than they did, which is generally the visuals that you see when you catch most dance acts these days. The videos are a mix of live action interlaced with computer animation and Windows Media Player style 'Visualizations'. Seriously. Check the video for Another World. There's no real story as it's all loosely based (from what I can gather) on the thoughts and feelings of a girl diving into water. The scope for the DVD should have been far wider than something that you don't really need to see more than once. With DVDs like Part Of The Weekend Never Dies (Soulwax) and Across The Universe (Justice), it feels like a missed opportunity for them to create something unique. Hopefully, they'll take a step further come the next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form at last!, 21 July 2010
This review is from: Further (Audio CD)
The term 'comeback album' is often banded about like confetti, often describing an average piece of work that really doesn't come up to scratch from bands that take a few years off. However this cannot be said for the Chemicals latest release. Their last two albums were, lets be honest, well below average. This album is bang on form. Gone are the needless 'sell out' collaborations and in comes high energy dance music that we all know they are capable of. It starts off fairly slowly but you just know it's building up to a crescendo of a mind bending sonic assault on your lug holes!

4.0 out of 5 stars a little Further..., 4 July 2010
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Further (MP3 Download)
Further is less 'radio friendly' than that of late from the brothers, I can't see any further singles.

Only 8 tracks but all are over 5mins and top tunes so the content is good. Another track or two would have made 5 stars but I'm a very happy owner of Further. It will be stuck on my Walkman for quite some time and I can see myself going back for a listen in the distant future.

Favourite track is a very tough call but I'll plump with Horse Power. 7/10 for gym music (Horse power is 11/10).

3.0 out of 5 stars Collection of b-sides?, 9 Jun 2010
SkAnKyFrAnKy (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Further (Audio CD)
This will sound good when the occasional track appears in my iTunes mix but as an album it really doesn't stand out as anything special. Maybe I'm getting too old but then again, maybe it's the Chem's that are running out of steam.

1. "Snow" - thought I'd got a dodgy copy at first but sorts itself out. Never really gets going. Just a long intro.
2. "Escape Velocity" - longest track on the album. Reminds me a bit of Orbital or even the Death In Vegas album Satan's Circus. Not bad but surely this is just the Chem's treading water.
3. "Another World" - more filler? I like the snare drum after about 4 mins. ha!
4. "Dissolve" - this is what I mean about b-sides. It sounds like a mash of a few previous Chem's tracks only not as good. Remember 'The Private Psychedelic Reel'? Nowhere near as good.
5. "Horse Power" - I thought this was ok until I heard the sample of the horse. Once that kicked in I actually found it embarrassing and turned it down in case anyone heard what I was listening to. Shame.
6. "Swoon" - the first single and you've probably heard it already if you're reading this.
7. "K+D+B" - the drums are really cool. The rest of the track is a bit of a whisper.
8. "Wonders Of The Deep" - hmm, more filler. Over before it starts if you know what I mean. Is that it? Oh, that's the end of the album too.

4.0 out of 5 stars new cd/dvd, further., 20 Jun 2010
C. T. Stringer (G B) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Further (Audio CD)
a great cd, but where is the dts or dolby sound on the dvd? its on the outer case but not on the dvd, but the videos are great fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars F**king Awesome!!, 15 May 2010
This review is from: Further (Audio CD)
This is another example of the Amazing Chem Bros, this head spinning body twisting album is second to none! as usual the under rated! brothers get better everytime, keeping up with todays changing tastes! buy it now! thankyou!

Further