The title of this book leaped out at me from the striking cover, but when I started reading, I was captivated by how meaningful the title was to this very moving story. Cheryl Kaye Tardif's words, scenes and characters flowed through the pages so smoothly I almost forgot I was reading. I felt as though I were in Canada with the characters.

This is a story about...
Published on 14 Jan. 2008 by Betty L. Dravis

3.0 out of 5 stars great story
Really enjoyed this. Very well written A lovely story . May read another of this lady's books next on the strength of this
Published 1 month ago by cupcake

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful, moving family drama that spans the generations! Beautiful writing!, 14 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Whale Song (Paperback)

This is a story about an eleven-year-old girl, Sarah Richardson, who moves with her family to Vancouver Island, Canada where her father, a biologist, has taken a new job studying killer whales. Sarah makes friends with a neighbor girl, Goldie Dixon, who is a Nootka Indian. Before Sarah moved there, a tragedy occurred in Goldie's family; it involved her older brother, and there is a mysterious tie-in to this novel's title through that occurrence.

Goldie's wise granddmother, Nana, steeped in Indian tradition, plays a major role in Sarah's life, and Goldie's entire family becomes friends with Sarah's family as the story unfolds. When Sarah's mother becomes ill, a boy who has a crush on Sarah gives her a lovely whale figurine which is another tie-in to the title.

What happened in Goldie's family before Sarah came to live there? How does Sarah lose her mother ... and then her father, in uniquely different ways? How does she reclaim them both ...in uniquely different ways? And how does Sarah lose her memory? Why can't she remember the events of the most tragic day in her life? And just how does a whale figure into the plot? Do people who are drowned truly come back as whales, as the Nootkas believe?

That's a long list of questions, I know, but this author answers them with such dexterity, she'll leave you breathless. And, finally, the question that begs to be answered: What IS a Whale Song and how does it help Sarah reclaim her mother?

To get the answers to those questions, you must read this intriguing, exciting book. It will tug at your heart strings, stirring your emotions like no other.

One doesn't simply read a Tardif story, one experiences it! Among the very few authors I've ever said that about is my all-time favorite Pat Conroy. Like him, Cheryl Kaye Tardif has a definite way with words.

This is not only a coming-of-age story, it's a love story, a mystery and a family drama in one clear, concise package. Though billed as women's fiction or general fiction, this novel will appeal to YA and all generations--just as "Harry Potter" does.

"Whale Song" is a bestseller in Canada and the US. It made both lists on Amazon shortly after it was released. I'm not surprised that a film producer is looking closely at this book. In the front of my copy, Tardif wrote: Dare to Dream, and Dream Big! I certainly hope her Big Dream comes true and this novel becomes a movie!

My only regret is that I didn't discover this author sooner. She has two other novels out, "Divine Intervention" and "The River." But she says she "holds this one close to her heart." Well, it's now close to my heart, too, as I'm sure it will be to yours. I look forward to reading those other two, but I can't wait to read the one she's currently working on; it's a nonfiction story about the tragic murder of her younger brother and his friends, The Porch Monkeys ... a story of the lost, the forgiven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgiveness sets you free, 24 July 2007
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Whale Song (Paperback)
This is an amazing story, and one you'll want to read again and again. Cheryl Kaye Tardif skillfully weaves her tale of friendship, love, loss, pain and forgiveness, and although not very long, it's a story you won't easily forget.

Sarah Richardson moves to Vancouver Island with her mother and father, and soon becomes fascinated with the Native American folklore that permeates the area. Her father is a marine biologist, and through him, she is introduced to the song of killer whales as they frolic in the ocean. Although some aspects of her school life are a bit rocky, she is fortunate to meet Goldie, who becomes her best friend. Goldie's grandmother is a very wise woman who educates Sarah in significant aspects of Native American culture, and also provides guidance and support.

Just when things are falling into place, tragedy strikes, leading to an event so traumatic that Sarah loses her memory. Unable to deal with the pressure, she begins separating herself from her friends and family, until the day when the past catches up with her and she is finally able to forgive.

The story shows how someone can triumph over prejudice and hatred, and just about the point when you think you have it all figured out, the author throws in a twist, and an ending well worthy of being called a grand finale. A short yet emotional read that may just move you to tears.

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome Book!, 10 Aug. 2004
pcfrancine (Edmonton, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whale Song (Paperback)
Whale Song deals with teenage issues such as bullying and cultural differences. It is an excellent book! Some parts will make you cry; some parts will make you joyful. Adventurous and realistic, Whale Song is a book for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual and compelling, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Whale Song (Kindle Edition)
From the powerful opening right through to the very last word, there was everything to love about this story. It was compelling and unusual. The Nootka Indian spiritual references were a strong thread that wove the book tightly together and made Nana, a lesser character, into an incredibly strong one. Very skilfully done. 'I may have lost my eyesight, but I have not lost my vision' was just one of the stand out phrases. I loved Sarah's 'voice', it was so natural that I did not see that ending coming, well done. The way the author handled the issue of bullying was also very skilled. My only crit is that the twenty-foot research schooner really would not be big enough for a class of school kids and this ought to be corrected. That aside, this book will live with me for a long, long time and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A touching story of friendship and growing up, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Whale Song (Kindle Edition)
The author deals with a teenage girl leaving her childhood friends for a new location and facing up to new situations with growing maturity. Characters that I want to know more about in a culture (native Americans) that I found interesting and intriguing. The story is told sensitively and believably. I hope she writes more!

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible read., 4 May 2012
This review is from: Whale Song (Kindle Edition)
The story is fabulous. Themes of the importance of family and friends, moving on and growing up flow through the novel. Sometimes I was crying so hard I couldn't see the print. Just a fabulous story. For anyone who has loved and lost and believes that "family" is more than just genetics.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, 27 Jan. 2013
rutoap "gdyr45" (Rutland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whale Song (Kindle Edition)
This is a beautiful story about coping with loss and accepting support from family and friends. Would recommend this to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this story very much, 21 Jan. 2013
H. Newman-Gould (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whale Song (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book as it was free, not expecting to read it if honest but the snow came and I thought I'd give it a go... I'm a slow reader and this has been my record, I read the book within 48 hours, really enjoyed it. Bit of a bitter sweet ending but really enjoyed it all the same. Written really well and it was easy to get into the characters 10 out of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good one day read., 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Whale Song (Kindle Edition)
An interesting easy read book that keeps your attention, compelling enough for you to want to keep reading and find out how it all ends.
Although I had guessed the outcome of this story, i found the emotions and descriptions very real. As it was my childhood era I found I was easily absorbed into the story thus making it a great one day read whilst I was in bed fighting a virus. Gave me a good chill out day. Would definitely read another book by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and heartwrenching, 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Whale Song (Kindle Edition)
you get drawn in very quickly by this story. a wonderfully written books, be warned, get your tissues at the ready, would be great to have a sequel. I would recommend this book to anyone. 5*******

Whale Song