Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 July 2010
Memphis soul has alwyas been a component in Sheryl Crow's musical universe, but here it's the all dominant theme. Produced by Doyle Bramhall II (Roger Waters, Clapton) and Justin Stanley the music certainly hits that sweaty, infectious groove known from the old Stax and Delaney & Bonnie records Sheryl grew up with. Just as they master the majestic ballad.

The songs are all catchy and well-written, immediatly ear-grabbing but also growing with subsequent listenings. The lyrics - very much in keep with the genre - deals mostly with the ups and downs of romantic love. Although there's also a couple of comments on the way of the world, reflecting Sheryl's humanistic engagement.

There are notable guests like Keith Richards and Justin Timberlake. And a fiting tribute to her old employer Michael Jackson in the form of a re-make of the Jackson 5 hit "I Want You Back".

Seems like several younger female artists are drawn to the depth and beauty of soul music: Joan Osborne, Susan Tedeschi, Dana Fuchs, Grace Potter and compared with them Sheryl may lack a bit of vocal power. But all in all no sign of the great Miss Crow slowing down or loosing it after 6 albums, in fact this might be one of her best.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2010
Sheryl Crow goes back to her musical roots. I always liked Sheryl Crow as a vocalist, and Soul is my passion so this seemed like a great idea.

Sadly there are too many duff moments for this to be an unqualified success. The production is straightforward retro R&B, and several tracks could have come from Muscle Shoals, Stax or Hi studios, and the country influence which was often present in Soul and in Crow's earlier work is there too. I don't remember too much reggae coming out of Memphis though, and "Eye to Eye" is a bit out of place as a result!!

Some tracks are corkers, "Long Road Home" where everything comes together effortlessly, the jaunty shuffle of "Say What You Want" and "Roses and Moonlight" with it's low brooding vocal all stand out for me, and "Sideways" is a great ballad, with Crow on superb vocal form. Others are more straightforward Soul workouts, and "I Want You Back" is a straight cover of the Jackson 5 original, nothing added nothing taken away, with Crow sounding uncannily like Michael Jackson, but straining on the chorus.

And unfortunately, there are too many occasions on the album that Crow's voice is strained - for instance the chorus of "Summer Day" just ruins what is otherwise a good track and she tiptoes dangerously close to the edge on "Stop", which is otherwise a superb track. And then there's "Sign Your Name" - what were they thinking. OK to invoke the spirit of Al Green and Al Jackson Jr. with that loping drumbeat, and the vocal starts out well down the register, but then that chorus, where instead of retaining that brooding feel, things descend into a worse-then-karaoke version, it really is just awful.

I guess I will listen to this and just screen out the tracks which don't work - it could have been so much better though.
on 24 July 2010
Much like an old valve amplifier, that takes some time and patience to give of its best when first switching on, this new offering from Sheryl Crow has taken me more than a couple of listens to understand and begin to appreciate. I almost wish I could have discovered it on vinyl rather than modern day digital - yes it's that retro.

In press interviews, Crow describes this album's direction as one she has never before explored. That may well be true from her perspective and experience of recording it. But the truth is that many of these songs would probably be fairly easily stowed away on some of her previous records, without much of a raised eyebrow. However, that's not to deny that something new is definitely in the air on 100 Miles From Memphis.

The musical influences at work here - Stax, Mowtown, deep south blues rock and soul - have always been inextractible from Crow's own musical DNA, but have seldom been felt more purely than here. She has clearly benefitted from handing over the co-producer reins to Doyle Bramhall II - who has written songs recorded by Clapton in recent years, as well as playing second guitar in ole slowhand's live band - and who has evidently had a close involvement in perfecting the guitar lines, melodies and backing vocals on ...Memphis.

I have no doubts about Crow's sincerity as a musician, but her problem is that she can appear at times too manufactured, too glossy and slick. Fans of hers from the nineties commonly argue that the songs in recent years have become too polished. The truth is that even Leaving Las Vegas was pretty painstakingly produced, it was simply more artful in appearing loose and organic. 100 Miles from Memphis sounded quite shocking to me on first listen - I mistook the dancy, sassy soulfulness for Sheryl having wandered into bland pop commercialism.

The bubblegum feelgood pop soul of the first single to be taken off the album, Summer Day, is so sweet it could be off a Coke commercial. I hope they don't get their hands on these songs, becuase songs like this came before there were products to sell, and our classic musical heritage was cynically used for that purpose. Summer Day is such a deceptively sophisticated song. It really grooves along like a Marvin Gaye or Curtis Mayfield track, full of beautiful arrangements, and sublime musicianship. I am loving it - but didn't on first, or even third hearing, which is pretty true of how I approached most of the tracks here.

Let's take a quick skip through the rest of the album... Opener, Our Love is Fading, has become a real grower too. It's Sheryl doing the Four Tops or The Supremes, it has a mid sixties mowtown feel about it. Its the kind of track Paul Weller has a radio friendly hit with every so often.

Eye to Eye is the track which evidently has guitar contributions from Keith Richards. I have to confess, I wouldn't know it's Keef on chops , especially as these are reggae chops, and seriously wonder whether they didn't get too stoned one night in the studio and write his name on the wrong tape box. The irony is that there are several other tracks here that would have made so much more sense for him to play on, such as Roses and Moonlight, which starts out based around the Blind Faith riff of Had to Cry Today, and ends up in several minutes of fantastic Emotional Rescue / Gimme Shelter-like jamming... surely that's Keith playing guitar??!

Sign Your Name - yes the old eighties Terence Trent Darby hit - is pretty good, slowed down to a sultry burn of a groove, and Justin Timberlake adds some great backing vocals. It's got an Al Green vibe going on.

Long Road Home is one of the most easily smuggled tracks onto any other Crow album - it's a gospel type track, of which Crow has recorded many through the years. Not bad at all, but nothing truly remarkable. Say What You Want is a Stephen Stills, Love the One You're With, sounding protest song, and it could have come from Detours, her last proper album.

I'm going to fast forward a few tracks now to what I think currently to be the standout song on the album - the achingly beautiful Sideways, one of Sheryl's greatest 'lost love' songs. This is a duet of sorts, with someone called Citizen Cope, who has a fantastic voice, and who wrote the track - he inspires Sheryl's best vocal performance of the album, in my opinion. This song would probably be a massive hit if Alicia Keys released it, but it would be great if Sheryl had the hit though, she deserves it. Great production on this track too - a string arrangement to die for.

The title track 100 Miles from Memphis reminds me a bit of that old Womack and Womack hit, Footsteps (remind me baby of you!). But it also has a Stonesy swagger going on too - was Mick doing some whoo whoo backing vocals here?!It is classic Sheryl Crow, and I think it will bring a smile to the faces of those who most enjoyed her early road movie type songs, you know, when she used to ride with a vending machine repair man...

For me the album ends with another strong track, Roses and Moonlight. Sheryl name checks Delaney and Bonnie as some of her early influences, and this has that late sixties rock vibe to it - Clapton will love it. And so will you hopefully! It's a bit like an early Steve Miller Band song, and there's some great band jamming towards the end.

The last track, more like an encore really, is a very faithful cover of the Jackson Five's I Want You Back. It may seem like an odd choice to those who weren't aware that Crow first came to prominance as Michael Jackson's backing singer in the mid eighties. It's a nod in the direction of a tribute to him, and given the Mowtown dance feel going on for some of this record, fits on quite neatly. It also punches home the fact that Crow has a pretty amazing vocal range that never seems to be a strain.

So there you have 100 Miles from Memphis. Not a 5 star album in my opinion, but I am confident that at least six of these tracks are up there with some of the best things Sheyl Crow has released, and maybe I'll feel the same about a few more in another few listens.

It could end up being her most successful album for years if enough people catch on.
on 13 March 2011
Critics are easy to find, and have probably not worked in a studio, probably never played in a band, probably dream about stardom and have probably never experienced the 'tic-tic-tic' of the metronome in your earphones as a group of talented individuals keep pace with a dreamers imagination.
'100 miles From Memphis' has received a lot of criticism from non-musicians, disappointed armchair songwriters and karaoke superstars. As a result, I was put off buying this album for a long time, I believed the guff and the exaggerated opinions of these probable has-nots, has-beens and have-nevers.
I was wrong to listen to the diatribe - this album is beautiful, it has strong sentiment and well balanced harmony from a group of talented professionals who have interpreted Sheryl Crow's imagination - the dreamer's muse has been released.
I would recommend this album to anyone, you dont have to be a Crow fan.........it is beautiful. Simply beautiful.
on 18 September 2010
I have a couple of Sheryl Crow albums and normally there gritty and a bit blues/country/rocky. This one is a bit too swing for me. It's good if you're looking for soul/swing, but not if you're a previous Crow listener looking for her usual sound.
on 25 August 2010
Sheryl has recorded some great music during her career and is still an outstanding artist, but this is not as good as I had hoped. I shall contnue to listen to it though and hope more of the songs grow on me
on 29 January 2011
When Summer Day was released I thought WOW what a great song, I was surprised to find out that it was Sheryl Crow, so I HAD to buy the Album and I'm glad I did. I love it! The lady has still got it!
on 2 August 2010
Whatever has happened to Sheryl Crow in the last few years? After making 4 classic albums between 1993 and 2002, she then made the awfully ordinary 'Wildflower', followed by the better but patchy 'Detours'. Now she has made an album reflecting her musical Memphis soul roots. Sorry, it doesn't work. There are some decent melodies in there but the arrangements are boring and overproduced and the tracks are too long - there is only one under 4 minutes and some are well over 6 minutes. This is OK if you have a theme to develop but each track plods along with little variation and relies too much on filler backing vocals to pad them out. Indeed after about Track 7 the album slows down so much it almost stops. Yawn. And what about her voice? It sounds pretty weak and whiney most of the time. And why on earth have they included the Michael Jackson cover 'I Want You Back'? It's an irrelevance. The cover of 'Sign Your Name' is better but isn't different enough from the original to make it a worthwhile inclusion. In fact, Ms Crow's track record on covers in general isn't brilliant.

The fact that only 7 people before me have reviewed this and that she hasn't disturbed the album charts with her last 3 offerings says it all.

I have been a massive fan of this lady in the past and I know that she has had life changing personal problems in the last few years. Nevertheless, her music and voice have lost their edge and I now doubt she can recover her former reputation. What a disappointment.
on 28 July 2010
This is a terrific album. Like several other reviewers I became a big fan of Sheryl in the mid-90s, and personally consider second album 'Sheryl Crow' her career high. I'd also share the oft-stated view that the last couple of albums haven't been up to scratch. But it all comes down to the songs, and on this new album the songwriting is terrific again. The arrangements withstand repeated listening, with wonderful depth and style. I think Sheryl sings on the uptempo tracks as though she's having fun again - a joy to listen to. This is my favourite album of 2010 so far and highly recommended.
on 15 September 2010
There's not a lot to say. I'm a long-time fan and again I am not disappointed. Ignore the press talk about changes; just listen and make up your own mind. It's good.